Tara King's Season 6: a creative idea

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Instead we get another one-off sidekick... though I refuse to believe she is "auditioning", as one book called it! Personally I would've preferred Jeremy Lloyd as the Reverend Teddy to be Steed's partner for this one (he is in the dangerous bits - perhaps they didn't want to damage a ladies' fur coat in the fights)!
Last watched: "Concerto"
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I've brutally edited my Thingumajig submission down from 3500 words to 2500. No doubt many people will be grateful for having to spend less time with this episode. Having viewed it so often now, I can sympathise...

Further editing by Rodney is of course welcome!

If it turns out 3500 would've been acceptable, I still have that version too.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Frankymole wrote:I've brutally edited my Thingumajig submission down from 3500 words to 2500. No doubt many people will be grateful for having to spend less time with this episode. Having viewed it so often now, I can sympathise...

Haha. Yes it can be hard to decrease. There can be so much to say, and as a witty writer you no doubt could make the worst episodes entertaining.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Thanks! Some episodes are beyond saving, but I do have a soft spot for this one - although I'm not blind to its faults, not by a long shot!

That said, the 1000 words I lost were mostly background to the writer/writing, me sniping at other SF Avengers episodes, and stuff about minor characters - rather than moans about "Thingumajig" itself.

I'm looking forward to leaving the ridiculous and returning to the sublime when I polish off "Mirrors" (no pun intended).
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Frankymole wrote:Thanks! Some episodes are beyond saving, but I do have a soft spot for this one - although I'm not blind to its faults, not by a long shot!

That said, the 1000 words I lost were mostly background to the writer/writing, me sniping at other SF Avengers episodes, and stuff about minor characters - rather than moans about "Thingumajig" itself.

I'm looking forward to leaving the ridiculous and returning to the sublime when I polish off "Mirrors" (no pun intended).
Actually its funny but I'm doing much the same on mine. It can actually sometimes be more interesting the lead into it, than the actual episode. Leave it in I say. You should have a creative license ( of course up to Rodney). I have discovered myself that some of the most interesting things can be discussed on the cast themselves. Or the lead in. but I want the original to read if there are major cuts!
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

I would say take a day away from it. Then look at the full essay again.

You may want put text back in. 1000 words is a lot

1 of my essays is over 3000 as well but I had a lot to say and felt it had to be that long...this was after trimming it btw
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Frankymole wrote:I've brutally edited my Thingumajig submission down from 3500 words to 2500. No doubt many people will be grateful for having to spend less time with this episode. Having viewed it so often now, I can sympathise...

My Chapter on My Wildest Dream was way over to start with as I spoke a lot about writer, director and composer but I just cut pretty much all of it.
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Darren wrote:

My Chapter on My Wildest Dream was way over to start with as I spoke a lot about writer, director and composer but I just cut pretty much all of it.
oh that's unfortunate. I love that kind of stuff. Would love to read the unabridged version.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I've compromised, and restored the better half of the cut sections, it is now 3040 words exactly. I'll see if that works for Rodney.

One risk with us all writing about a single season is that we might cover similar ground on the directors, writers/script editor and other background info. Who'd be a book editor!

(I must admit the required discipline of reading the revised chapter over and over again is getting to me a bit. I long to go off and watch some fluff, but must persevere!)
Last edited by Frankymole on Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

I wouldn't be too worried about overlap. I find some overlap in the previous books but not enough that make me worry. Ironically the similar moments I felt came more from a writer covering multiple episodes.

Of course with the Tara King era there might be more owing to be such a well-known polarizing season :lol:

I certainly talked about it with 1 of the episodes I covered