Bright Horizons book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

My review of the book. I think no contributor has been forgotten.
http://theavengers.fr/index.php/chapeau ... guides#a18
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Most enjoyable review!

Google Translate renders "Man in a Suitcase" ("L’homme à la valise") as "The Man With the Bag" :)
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Wonderful all-inclusive review from Denis. It is a great shame he is no longer contributing to The New Avengers book as both Denis and Bernard offer superb slants on the show.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Denis thinks that Margo is obsessed with the phallus in her chapters. Not sure what he will make of her chapter on Take-Over in that case!
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dan wrote:
Speed Six wrote:
denis wrote:Honestly, I do not think that the Avengers writers had Freudian symbolism in mind when they developed the scenarios. Of course, there are some subtle devil minds (some of them are not even translated into French) but nothing to do with the positioning of champagne bottles! Champagne is only part of celebration, nothing else.
In the case of the Murder Market's cake tasting scene the positioning of the champagne bottles is absolutely central to the production team's intent. It's the pay off to all the preceding action and is very carefully staged to make a point about the seductive and self indulgent nature of Steed's initiation into the group.
What does homosexuality have to do with this episode? The plot concerns hetrosexual relationships that potentially lead to murder for profit. The sexuality of the Togetherness masterminds is certainly ambiguous but what does that have to do with enlisting Steed into joining their schemes?
interesting notion..but the show did seem to focus on 'straight' relationships and marriage...then again, being 'gay' in the UK, wasn't exactly thought of inna nice way..and same sex marriages, were decades in the future.....
Speed Six
Little Wonder

Post by Speed Six »

denis wrote:My review of the book. I think no contributor has been forgotten.
Hmm - sorry to see that Denis thinks I have a 'disturbed mind' for stating a clearly obvious allusion on the part of the programme makers ! As I've said before the series was produced by sophisticated people with a sophisticated sense of humour and I think I'd be entitled to see this a personal insult.
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Speed Six wrote:
Hmm - sorry to see that Denis thinks I have a 'disturbed mind' for stating a clearly obvious allusion on the part of the programme makers ! As I've said before the series was produced by sophisticated people with a sophisticated sense of humour and I think I'd be entitled to see this a personal insult.
I see it as a pun with 'devil mind' but if you see it as 'insult', I can change it...For the rest, I do not think it's an obvious allusion...
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Denis

You have looked at a lot of reference books about The Avengers, but there's one missing.
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

No, I have bought yours. Not read yet. It will take time. I need holidays. Probably, the thickest of my collection.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

denis wrote:No, I have bought yours. Not read yet. It will take time. I need holidays. Probably, the thickest of my collection.
Denis

I'm pleased to hear it, though not to take anything away from Rodney, who has published quite a number of books on both The Avengers and The New Avengers.