Questions for Roger Marshall

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Rodders wrote:The problem, as Optimum found when they were making the dvds, is that Clemens is convinced that he created both the series and the concept of Avengersland. He did produce some of the great Season 4/5 episodes, it is true. But the series lacks the variety in Season 5 that it possessed in Season 4 and that is down to his obsession with Clemensizing everyone else's scripts.
I wonder if that might be an issue of being both the head writer and the producer - that you can go in and directly change things, for better or worse, to suit your own tastes. Aren't they called showrunners today?

Also, because Brian Clemens is the 'go to' person for anything to do with the show we only often hear his one side of the story, which seems very forthright and definitive. His contemporaries who might have a different opinion, are now largely absent and aren't heard or aren't consulted.[/quot

which is an shame...all sides need to be heard..whether you agree or not....instead of revisionist history....so to speak
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

jaz wrote:Hi Rodney,

Could you make a scriptbook for the newly discovered Cathy Gale script (Act 1) and Overkill (later to become A Funny Thing...).

Perhaps you could write a foreword and possibly get your dad to recall a few memories. Happy to help if you need it.

cheers

Jaz
I have my father's original eleven page 'treatment' for Overkill which I sent off for inclusion on the Optimum DVD but it wasn't used. I also have the full script after the title had been changed but before it was Clemensized. Am happy to make these available to anyone.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Rodders wrote:
jaz wrote:Hi Rodney,

Could you make a scriptbook for the newly discovered Cathy Gale script (Act 1) and Overkill (later to become A Funny Thing...).

Perhaps you could write a foreword and possibly get your dad to recall a few memories. Happy to help if you need it.

cheers

Jaz
I have my father's original eleven page 'treatment' for Overkill which I sent off for inclusion on the Optimum DVD but it wasn't used. I also have the full script after the title had been changed but before it was Clemensized. Am happy to make these available to anyone.
another great source and insight on the show..
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Mrs. Peel's Sexy Costumes - Season 4 v Season 5

Post by Dan »

There are no costumes for Mrs. Peel in Season 5 episodes to compare to Mrs. Peel's very revealing costumes in Season 4 episodes such as A Touch of Brimstone, Honey for the Prince, A Sense of History, and How to Succeed at Murder.

Do you have any insight as to why? I also noticed that the 4 episodes mentioned above were all at the tail end of Season 4.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Re: Mrs. Peel's Sexy Costumes - Season 4 v Season 5

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dan wrote:There are no costumes for Mrs. Peel in Season 5 episodes to compare to Mrs. Peel's very revealing costumes in Season 4 episodes such as A Touch of Brimstone, Honey for the Prince, A Sense of History, and How to Succeed at Murder.

Do you have any insight as to why? I also noticed that the 4 episodes mentioned above were all at the tail end of Season 4.
I've often wondered about this as well. I always assumed Diana got sick of it, and asked them to not put her in any more, but if there's another explanation, I'd like to hear it. :)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Diana had far more say/power in Season 5 as she was now a major player/star rather than the new kid on the block. She was able to say yes or no to costumes, lines etc.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Rodders wrote:Diana had far more say/power in Season 5 as she was now a major player/star rather than the new kid on the block. She was able to say yes or no to costumes, lines etc.
I thought it might be something like that, but it's nice to have some confirmation. Thanks, Rodney. :D

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dan wrote:There are no costumes for Mrs. Peel in Season 5 episodes to compare to Mrs. Peel's very revealing costumes in Season 4 episodes such as A Touch of Brimstone, Honey for the Prince, A Sense of History, and How to Succeed at Murder.

Being cynical, I'd guess those were made after she'd done her contract renewal and couldn't leave in a huff!

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't like the Dance of the Seven Veils stuff (or was it Six?) or the Queen of Sin. I find Emma far more a-peeling when she feels more herself - either in her fighting suits (as we first meet her, fencing) or in proper clothes - the more Cathy-like, the better.

Everyone knows my opinion on the wrinkly romper-suits...

Similarly, Purdey is at her best when she looks comfortable (TNA season 1) not got up like the Kellogg's cockerel (TNA season 2). Yes, I said cockerel, folks! Deal with it. We don't call them roosters :)

Tara always had practical stuff. No Arabian Nights or Brimstone BDSM for her! Even stuff she was coerced to wear, like Pandora's girly faux-Edwardian dress, was lovely.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:Similarly, Purdey is at her best when she looks comfortable (TNA season 1) not got up like the Kellogg's cockerel (TNA season 2). Yes, I said cockerel, folks! Deal with it. We don't call them roosters :)
I thought I was the only one who noticed Purdey was sporting the same colour scheme as the Kellogg's cornflakes box. :lol: (It probably didn't help that I first watched TNA on a channel that aired cornflakes ads during every commercial break). We know Gambit eats cornflakes--was Purdey engaging in some sort of subliminal messaging perhaps? :wink:

I'm not keen on the Queen of Sin, either. My dislike of A Touch of Brimstone as a whole is pretty strong, actually. I don't mind the harem outfit, but then the approach of the two episodes is pretty different--Emma puts the harem outfit on herself and the whole scenario is played with a lighter touch; with the Queen of Sin, it's pretty obvious Emma's been drugged, and it's uncomfortable speculating on how she was put in it. I'm going to have a lot of trouble watching Brimstone when I get to my rewatch. :?

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, it's an episode that gets worse every time I watch it (something I haven't chosen to do for many years now). A shame, as the cast is "to die for" as the youngsters say: Jeremy Young, Peter Wyngarde, Colin Jeavons, Carol Cleveland, Michael Latimer. They're pretty mean to Colin Jeavons, another reason I dislike it, though he makes a great victim I prefer him as a stronger character / villain. Steed in 18th century garb (any excuse). Stab me vitals!

Ah well. Never mind the quality, feel the width. The direction is interesting even if the story and characters aren't. There is bound to be the odd misfire in such a great season - the reason why Muslim works of art always have a deliberate flaw hidden somewhere in them is that only God can be perfect... The Avengers mustn't always be perfect - heaven forfend! Just 99% of the time ;)
Last watched: "Concerto"