The Avengers dvd set 3 (series 4) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by peabody »

norw27 wrote:Not sure if its a fault or not with my copy of Man-Eater Of Surrey Green but there is something strange. During the sequence when Mercers truck is being unloaded, as soon as Lennox appears through the bushes the "hypnotising music" cuts out and is replaced by another piece before returning back to the original. I've checked on my old Contender set and its not like that on there so I was just wondering if anybody else may have noticed it on theres or if mine is an isolated case. Both pieces of music fit so it seems really bizarre, mystery!
I just checked my DVD and it's there as well. I never bought the earlier DVD releases and I sold my Lumiere VHS tapes ages ago, so I have nothing to compare it to... But you're right, this is odd...
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

eleganceandthickcurtains wrote:
norw27 wrote:Not sure if its a fault or not with my copy of Man-Eater Of Surrey Green but there is something strange. During the sequence when Mercers truck is being unloaded, as soon as Lennox appears through the bushes the "hypnotising music" cuts out and is replaced by another piece before returning back to the original. I've checked on my old Contender set and its not like that on there so I was just wondering if anybody else may have noticed it on theres or if mine is an isolated case. Both pieces of music fit so it seems really bizarre, mystery!
I just checked my DVD and it's there as well. I never bought the earlier DVD releases and I sold my Lumiere VHS tapes ages ago, so I have nothing to compare it to... But you're right, this is odd...
Well, my A & E copy does just that but there's nothing odd about it. Unless it's something completely different you're experiencing. Wish we could compare copies by listening.
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
norw27
Little Wonder

Post by norw27 »

Well it is strange as its either a fault on my disc, or for some reason there are two versions of this scene with differing soundtracks.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

norw27 wrote:Well it is strange as its either a fault on my disc, or for some reason there are two versions of this scene with differing soundtracks.
DVDs will be identical. This is not a fault - but it is obviously a pointer that variant soundtracks exist.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
norw27
Little Wonder

Post by norw27 »

Good to know its not a fault, but why would there be variant soundtracks? Its literally just a snippet of music thats been edited. Would that mean that the Contender version is an earlier cut of the episode do you think?
Cybernowt

Post by Cybernowt »

norw27 wrote:Good to know its not a fault, but why would there be variant soundtracks? Its literally just a snippet of music thats been edited. Would that mean that the Contender version is an earlier cut of the episode do you think?
On a couple of Dr Who vhs releases they couldnt get clearance for some music, so they substituted it for something similar.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

This isn't a modern substitution before anyone goes down that path. Being a British film series, all music in The Avengers is covered by the original contracts between ABPC and the rights oweners and it is not necessary to re-negotiate for home video.

The music licensed for BBC and ITV videotaped programmes were usually agreed at a cheaper rate to cover a certain number of broadcasts and overseas sales, but those making television programmes on film were far more canny with regards their contracts. This is why it is not a problem (and has never been a problem) having Beatles music in The Prisoner. The rights (synchronous with the programme images) are already bought out in perpetuity. Expensive in the first instance and lucrative (back then) for the music rights holders, but a good piece of business in the long term for the moguls at ABPC and ITC among others.

This is clearly an instance where two versions of the soundtrack exist and up until now, it's not been noticed.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Cybernowt

Post by Cybernowt »

Alan wrote:This isn't a modern substitution before anyone goes down that path.
I would NEVER go down that path!
Alan wrote:This is clearly an instance where two versions of the soundtrack exist and up until now, it's not been noticed.
Unless he's made it up! :o
norw27
Little Wonder

Post by norw27 »

Unless he's made it up!
What!?! :shock: Haha no I haven't made it up. It is a teeny tiny bit of music but for some reason just stuck out to me as unfamiliar. Now paying close attention to the music on others in case there are similar instances. I'm glad I haven't disposed of my old Contender sets so I can compare.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Cariheart wrote:
eleganceandthickcurtains wrote:
Well, my A & E copy does just that but there's nothing odd about it. Unless it's something completely different you're experiencing. Wish we could compare copies by listening.
I've just compared the A&E set with the Optimum and you're right, it is markedly different.
The A&E/Contedner sets play a whirring FX to indicate Lennox being a conduit of the mind-control while the hypnotic music continues underneath.
The Optimum set cuts to a dramatic crescendo and short piece of strong chords then returns to the hypnotic music. The picture quality of the new set blows my mind though!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.