The Avengers dvd set 3 (series 4) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

davidf
Little Wonder

Post by davidf »

It could be that there was a problem in the source used (negative), so the tech doing the remaster covered it up using a piece of music from another part of the episode.

When faced with a problem, techs don't think twice. They just cover it up.

A sound tech doing the HD masters at Studio Canal once told me that several tweaks were made to many movies because of the state the material is in, especially older films. It can means shaving off nano seconds from the end of a shot just to zap negative damage, and covering it up audio wise, or worse.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

seventeen wrote:It could be that there was a problem in the source used (negative), so the tech doing the remaster covered it up using a piece of music from another part of the episode.

When faced with a problem, techs don't think twice. They just cover it up.

A sound tech doing the HD masters at Studio Canal once told me that several tweaks were made to many movies because of the state the material is in, especially older films. It can means shaving off nano seconds from the end of a shot just to zap negative damage, and covering it up audio wise, or worse.
I don't think that's the case here, because the new sets have longer running times than previous releases because the previous releases did that - especially with the Cathy episodes. I didn't notice any variation visually, just this different audio track. It's not out of place, just different to what I'd heard before - more dramatic, in a way - so the alternate soundtrack theory seems valid.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

Just listened to the commentaries on Town of No Return and Hour that Never Was. The first was very good and informative with Brian and Roy bouncing off each other quite well. Hour was fairly interesting with some good insight into the episode but is an absolute must for Professionals fans as he gives some great insight onto that show.

Watched the reconstruction of Kill the King, well done the team for that. Boy it appears we've lost an absolute gem in that one.
mike654
White Dwarf

Post by mike654 »

I was watching The House That Jack Built today and I have noticed this with most of the episodes. At the start of every scene there is a slight flicker at the top of the screen, it can be quite distracting. But the picture quality otherwise is very good.
Has anyone else noticed this? is it just with my set?
norw27
Little Wonder

Post by norw27 »

No I've noticed it too, you end up looking out for the flicker as each scene shifts - very distracting!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

All the A&E Cathy Gale episodes had flickering white dots at the top, in the overscan area. I don't know if it's a DVD mastering issue or on the videotape.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mike654
White Dwarf

Post by mike654 »

Does anyone know if the nearly every scene flicker has been fixed on the series 4 optimum UK boxset or if someone could say they dont know what Im moaning about! or if is on the source material.
Closer inspection on the TV the picture looks distorted at the top half of the picture on the 1st frame of a new scene.
I have series 4 episodes recorded from BBC FOUR and they dont have this flickering.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Mike, it could be just your set, maybe compatibility issues between it and a single make of player. Have you tried it on other players?

No-one else has reported this flicker as far as I know from months of reading various forums/fora. The only problems with the series 4 set were sound-synch on "The Grave-Diggers" and a bit of blocky encoding on the "Missing Corpse" short film, and they've both been fixed.

Do you watch on a computer monitor or a television? The former may show more picture at the top of the screen (overscan).
Last watched: "Concerto"
mike654
White Dwarf

Post by mike654 »

I have tried on sony widescreen tv and sony dvd player Frankymole, also have tried it on a computer external freecom dvd writer.

Just looked on the inner ring on the playing side and noticed a scratch all the way round so I think it is just my set.
Do you think I could return it for replacement?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

mike654 wrote:Do you think I could return it for replacement?
You probably can, at least under UK laws (the items has to be fit for purpose for 12 months after purchase); your contract is with the vendor, rather than the manufacturer/wholesaler, so best to approach the retailer you bought it from. Even if they have a returns policy, the trading laws will still cover you. I don't know how it operates outside the UK though, so it depends where you are.
Last watched: "Concerto"