Questions for Roger Marshall

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Terrance Dicks, who wrote two stories for the videotaped Avengers and also one for the aborted John Bryce filmed series, mentions in one of his Dr Who commentaries that the videotaping "as live" gives a boost to actor's performances - much more adrenaline! - and he views the rehearse-record method of production as being for wimps :)
Last watched: "Concerto"
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

I just heard the Roger Marshall interview on the box set Dial a Deadly Number. He was quite informative and interesting to hear. Wondered if there are any more interviews of his available.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

There are commentaries of his on the previous box sets, the best one being Mandrake.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

anti-clockwise wrote:I just heard the Roger Marshall interview on the box set Dial a Deadly Number. He was quite informative and interesting to hear. Wondered if there are any more interviews of his available.
interesting insights...
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

On the French website there is an 'observation' that part of the Steed alone beach scene in The Town of No Return was filmed inside on a set. My father says this is not true. He and Brian Clemens were both there, watching while location hunting on the original and Clemens maintains that they went back to add the Rigg bits.

My father also says that the decision to fire Liz Shepherd was made during the filming of The Town of No Return, even though they went on to film some of the next episode too. He says that it had nothing to do with her or her boyfriend's interference with scripts. Clemens told my father that she would be going while they were on location.
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Very interesting.
I remember that the beach scene has been discussed on our French forum but I've just read the page dedicated to this episode and there is no trace of it. I will relay this information to our fans; I have always thought that Elizabeth Shephard had been fired during the shooting of The Murder Market.
http://theavengers.fr/index.php/chapeau ... ans-retour
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Rodders wrote:On the French website there is an 'observation' that part of the Steed alone beach scene in The Town of No Return was filmed inside on a set. My father says this is not true. He and Brian Clemens were both there, watching while location hunting on the original and Clemens maintains that they went back to add the Rigg bits.

My father also says that the decision to fire Liz Shepherd was made during the filming of The Town of No Return, even though they went on to film some of the next episode too. He says that it had nothing to do with her or her boyfriend's interference with scripts. Clemens told my father that she would be going while they were on location.
Do you know why they let her go? I guess they must have felt early on she was not a good fit.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Rodders wrote:On the French website there is an 'observation' that part of the Steed alone beach scene in The Town of No Return was filmed inside on a set. My father says this is not true. He and Brian Clemens were both there, watching while location hunting on the original and Clemens maintains that they went back to add the Rigg bits.
Ok, I think I've found it : On the second review (it's not mine !:wink: )
On oubliera quelques scènes de plage maladroitement tournées en studio. I have added your comment on the page : 'Rodney Marshall, le fils du scénariste, sur le forum international (16 novembre 2013): ‘Sur le site français, il y a une remarque comme quoi une partie de la scène où Steed est seul sur la plage aurait été tournée en studio. Mon père dit que ce n’est pas vrai. Il était avec Brian Clemens sur les lieux du tournage.’
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

merci, c'est sympa.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

anti-clockwise wrote:

Do you know why they let her go? I guess they must have felt early on she was not a good fit.

always felt that was the reason..she just wasn't right for the role..