Poll-best season

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

And we must not ever forget that Diana Rigg had a super-hard challenge is replacing Honor Blackman, who hit the UK with incredible impact.

No-one had it easy. In fact it's credit to Diana that she not only took on that challenge, she equalled it. :)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:And we must not ever forget that Diana Rigg had a super-hard challenge is replacing Honor Blackman, who hit the UK with incredible impact.

No-one had it easy. In fact it's credit to Diana that she not only took on that challenge, she equalled it. :)
Hmm...I'm not so sure I agree that she had it as hard as the others in getting accepted by the viewers. Diana's natural beauty and acting abilities, the great story lines of her first season, the natural banter between her and Macnee, it was all perfect. Honor had to replace a man, something not done easily back in the day. Linda had to replace the wildly popular Diana and under the most trying circumstances. Don't get me wrong. Diana had to work hard and as we are all aware, was underpaid despite the fact that she brought the show's popularity to new heights. I just think she had many more advantages then the other three women involved in the series.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Cathy was a harder act to follow than many think. The Avengers was a very hip show when Honor took over, it was the show people would either rush home from the pub for or watch before they went out to nightclubs.

Yes, the storylines were better, yes the rapport between her and Pat was better, but the performance had to be a winner too. And Diana's first filmed episode wasn't as assured as what would follow, remember.

Diana worked hard. And she hadn't had the film experience of Honor, she came from the stage.

Linda had a battle too - but by the time her first episode was shown in the UK (Sept. '68 ) the series was cancelled (March '69). So she never really had a chance ...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Cathy was a harder act to follow than many think. The Avengers was a very hip show when Honor took over, it was the show people would either rush home from the pub for or watch before they went out to nightclubs.

Yes, the storylines were better, yes the rapport between her and Pat was better, but the performance had to be a winner too. And Diana's first filmed episode wasn't as assured as what would follow, remember.

Diana worked hard. And she hadn't had the film experience of Honor, she came from the stage.

Linda had a battle too - but by the time her first episode was shown in the UK (Sept. '68 ) the series was cancelled (March '69). So she never really had a chance ...
I'll give you that Dandy. And I really shouldn't put in my two cents worth until I've seen the Gale episodes. It just seems to me that Diana had it made with her beauty and talent and some fantastic story lines. The obvious friendship with Macnee made, at least for me, the perfect set up for their characters.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
cybermanz
Thingumajig

Post by cybermanz »

I can't really pinpoint why I like the eras of the show that I do. I happily watch episodes from 1965-67 and enjoy them whilst appreciating Steed/Peel banter but I just love all the others so much more.

The first episode I ever saw was The Frighteners, it screened on New Zealand TV back in 1996 I recall which was followed by Season 2 onwards. I lost interest somewhat once Cathy left the show (still watched it) but fell in love with it again when Tara came on board.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Cathy was a harder act to follow than many think. The Avengers was a very hip show when Honor took over, it was the show people would either rush home from the pub for or watch before they went out to nightclubs.
This may have been the case in Canada, if my uncles are any indication. They were quite disappointed when Cathy left. "Window-dressing," they said dismissively of Emma, and wished they could have Mrs. Gale back.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

It's been great to read so many different points of view regarding the best era of The Avengers. How dull it would be if everyone thought as I did. Even though I am right. :wink: I do believe Diana had a harder task than the other ladies however, and the reason is quite simply that Honor was such a terrific act to follow. Honor's interpretation of Cathy was so unique and innovative it could quite simply have meant the end of the series when she left. A lesser actress than Diana would not have been able to engage the audience in quite the same way. I've always felt that the Avengers were extremely lucky to have found an actress of her ability. She gave the series an air of credibility and professionalism that might have otherwise ended when Honor departed. Series 4 in particular is sheer class. At least half of the episodes feel like cinematic masterpieces from the mid-60s. Thanks to all who have contributed to this poll, and I will post the results soon. Rich.
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

This is a difficult one for me.
The 2nd Emma Peel season is definitively the best one for me, but it's rather difficult to decide on an order for the others. I don't know them well enough.
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:1. Fourth season. Just the pinnicle of the show - everything works; inventive stories, the cast. It's THE classic Avengers.

2. Fifth season. The stories may have become routine and Patrick and, particularly, Diana look tired, but the chemistry is even greater than the previous season. These are the episodes to show your friends.

3. The New Avengers season 1. Joanna Lumley was a great find, as was Gareth Hunt. Steed is more serious and less flippant, but it's still authentic Avengerss in spite of the 'New'.

The other seasons are pretty equal in my book and are interchangeable depending on my mood. The tiresome movie doesn't count.
Hi Dandy, any chance you could try and place the other seasons in your fave order, otherwise I can't include your list. I've worked out the results and I'll post in a few days time, in case there's any stragglers! Rich.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Okay ... :(

1. Fourth season

2. Fifth season

3. The New Avengers season 1

4. Second season

5. Third season

6. First season (what little there is of it)

7. The New Avengers season 2

8. Sixth season

Unfortunately this presents itself as the 6th season is the 'worst'. In my opinion there IS no worst, it just means that by default I don't connect with it like the other episodes.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY