Diana Rigg; has she or hasn't she?

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Anne
Little Wonder

Re: Diana Rigg; has she or hasn't she?

Post by Anne »

MRotten wrote:
Anne wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote: She doesn't really owe the public anything. She gave us a splendid character in Emma Peel and following Honor Blackman could not have been easy. She hasn't made a penny from the show since she left and, her Bond role apart, I don't think she's ever took advantage of her fame in The Avengers. Her greater successes have been on the stage.
Thank you Dandy!!! :D
Despite all the stage work she's done, her most memorable character is forever recorded on film, and that is as Mrs. Emma Peel on The Avengers. The beauty of film is that it is a permanent record. People of all generations can watch and enjoy it. Of course she doesn't owe the public anything, but I'm simply saying that she could be gracious towards her co-star and the launching pad for her career by agreeing to a fresh interview.
What for?

To say what?
Anne
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Let's not get ourselves overheated on this subject. I agree with everyone that it would be wonderful if Diana Rigg would give us a new interview for the dvds, but I most certainly wouldn't count on it and we as fans of the series need to respect the actors/writers/producers/etc., desires and wishes in regards to open up or keep mum about the whole thing as they desire.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Anne
Little Wonder

Post by Anne »

kim wrote:Let's not get ourselves overheated on this subject. I agree with everyone that it would be wonderful if Diana Rigg would give us a new interview for the dvds, but I most certainly wouldn't count on it and we as fans of the series need to respect the actors/writers/producers/etc., desires and wishes in regards to open up or keep mum about the whole thing as they desire.
In no way, I'll get overheated on the subject. :wink:
Anne
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

If the only interview material present on the new sets is archival, then it will look to the layman as if Rigg is either dead or too bitter about the experience to talk about it. What she might say would depend on the questions asked by Jaz.
helenofirvine

Post by helenofirvine »

Well, I wouldn't personally mind if she talked about the weather. Just as long as to hear that lovely voice.

:)
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Well I do hope Diana Rigg will give and interview for the new Optimum release, off the leading ladies she appears to have talked least about the Avengers.

But is this true? She may have been asked more about it then any of the others, in every interview again. There are quite a few interviews on the web and in all the Avengers is mentioned (I think).

However it's not that she does not want to talk about the Avengers, she did just this year in the Paul O'Grady show. I can understand if "she's moved on".

It's long ago, and she still does theatre work which is probably more interesting for her to talk about. And the Emma Peel era is the best documented and most talked about ear anyway. Information about the other era's probably have more chance of containing something new.
Cariheart

Post by Cariheart »

Listening to some recent interviews of Diana's, I think she has mellowed out a bit on the subject of Emma Peel and The Avengers. She may not be as hesitant to say a few words especially when it comes to working with Patrick and others. Diana Rigg may surprise us yet!
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
MRotten

Post by MRotten »

Cariheart wrote:Listening to some recent interviews of Diana's, I think she has mellowed out a bit on the subject of Emma Peel and The Avengers. She may not be as hesitant to say a few words especially when it comes to working with Patrick and others. Diana Rigg may surprise us yet!
My thoughts exactly. She might recall some guest stars she enjoyed working with, or some other aspects of the show, such as the scripts or the fashions, or perhaps reflect on being nominated for an Emmy in America. There are a number of things Rigg could talk about without repeating previous information such as her initially being paid less than the cameraman.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I've been having a think about this. I admit I was concerned about the words 'gracious to her co-star and her fans' and the implication that Diana Rigg was possibly being ungracious if she chose not to agree to contribute towards the DVDs.

If I can try to explain my opinion without directing it towards one individual person ...

Any actor, like any musician or entertainer, is selling their craft - they're not selling wisdom, friendship, mutual respect, endorsement, or ambassadorial services. When you invest in a performance or buy a DVD, an album, a book, whatever, you get a performance, a DVD, an album, etc. Yours to enjoy or ignore. Influence over the artist is not included.

If you're a fan of any particular artist or show you want to know all you can, and it's a great bonus if anyone involved can offer you a behind the scenes commentary or bit of background, but it's not your right to have that information.

I think if Diana is discredited it is because Patrick, Honor, Linda and the others are often quite happy to talk about the show. So is Diana, but there's always an air of disinterest. If you look at the interview with Paul O'Grady (which is available via YouTube) she almost seems to side-step the flow of the topic or make fun of it.

So why is Diana Rigg different from the other Avengers stars? I think with Patrick Macnee The Avengers is basically all he's known for - without sounding unkind, what else is there to talk about that has made a mark or that was ever popular? Honor Blackman, to a degree is the same - although Goldfinger is an exception (in a way Pussy Galore is an extention of Cathy Gale). Linda seems to be a fan of the show and Joanna certainly is. She made such friends with Gareth Hunt too. She, in particular, seems to have blissful memories of The New Avengers and quite the opposite to Diana, who said she auditioned for 'a giggle' then spent 18 months living the life of a mole and had one friend - her driver. Joanna 'begged' for the chance and had lots of happy moments on set.

I'm going on a bit here and I apologise, but as I've said before you can't make anyone love you anymore than you can't make Diana Rigg love The Avengers.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Anne
Little Wonder

Post by Anne »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:... Any actor, like any musician or entertainer, is selling their craft - they're not selling wisdom, friendship, mutual respect, endorsement, or ambassadorial services. When you invest in a performance or buy a DVD, an album, a book, whatever, you get a performance, a DVD, an album, etc. Yours to enjoy or ignore. Influence over the artist is not included. ...
That's very much true! The problem is that fans, or even merely audiences, are not able to accept what they get; they always want more and they generally want things that artists are absolutely unable to give them. I don't know why it is so, but it is.

I'm really sorry to ask but what is exactly this special event that would require a "new and last" interview of Dame Diana?

And anyway, what are you (all of you) expecting from her? ;)
Anne