Venus Smith : Partner or not ?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Artanis wrote:I like Venus' character but the most annoying thing is how she always get captured and Steed has to save her. She doesn't seem to be worth all that trouble for just the little help she provides.
As I understand it she was added to the cast to share the second season with Dr Keel.
That's right. Steed and Keel were meant to hang about a nightclub in further episodes and get to know the jazz singer. Then Hendry left unexpectedly, so the character was sort of a hangover from season one, and the show sort of evolved beyond her before she even got up on screen. They probably used her as a stop-gap more than anything, so that they could film something while they tried to cast Cathy. That's probably why she doesn't fit. It wasn't the same show anymore.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:That's right. Steed and Keel were meant to hang about a nightclub in further episodes and get to know the jazz singer. Then Hendry left unexpectedly, so the character was sort of a hangover from season one, and the show sort of evolved beyond her before she even got up on screen. They probably used her as a stop-gap more than anything, so that they could film something while they tried to cast Cathy. That's probably why she doesn't fit. It wasn't the same show anymore.
Thanks for the explanation, Timeless. And I agree, Venus' episodes don't really fit in with the rest of the second season. The whole show changed when Honor Blackman was chosen to play Cathy Gale.
Allen
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Shame that never happened, sounds like Venus was meant to be a supporting character. Would have been interesting to see that idea developed.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Shame that never happened, sounds like Venus was meant to be a supporting character. Would have been interesting to see that idea developed.
It would have been interesting to see, I agree. It fit in with the Keel era's mood. I got the impression it was supposed to be their regular club or something, since our heroes were prone to slouching around in dirty macs smoking. The Complete Avengers has this to say (and it's quite fascinating):

"In December 1961, a decision was taken to extend the Hendry series to 39 episodes and plans were made to introduce a new female partner to the team. The new girl was to be a young nightclub singer named Venus Smith, who would be introduced in episode 27 and then alternate with Keel as Steed's partner on a fortnightly basis."

There it is. Venus was meant to be a partner. The Ian Hendry walked away. Further on:

"Plans to introduce nightclub singer Venus Smith were placed on hold while White and his team began their search for an actress to become John Steed's first ever female colleague."

Poor Venus, sidelined before she could even start. But she would have been a major player had Hendry not left.

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Wasn't Box of Tricks originally intended to be a Steed/Cathy/Venus episode?
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Wasn't Box of Tricks originally intended to be a Steed/Cathy/Venus episode?
There was meant to be an episode with all three, yes. Don't recall if it was Box of Tricks though...

Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Wasn't Box of Tricks originally intended to be a Steed/Cathy/Venus episode?
There was meant to be an episode with all three, yes. Don't recall if it was Box of Tricks though...
Too bad that never happened. It would have been great to see all three in an episode, especially any scenes with Cathy and Venus. :)
Allen
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

I would have been interested to see BOX OF TRICKS with Cathy and Venus.
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Boswell
Thingumajig

Post by Boswell »

It would have worked, wouldn't it? Whilst Venus would be the link with the magician and his crummy act, Cathy would have hob knobbed with the General - or whatever he was. The daughter would have been a friend of Cathy, like in Six Hands Across The Table.
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Box of Tricks it was.. but I'm puzzled as to what Cathy's role could of been, would it of been a major re-write or just renaming a character and juggling a few lines?