Steed Beater of Surrey Green

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

That is most certainly not Diana's . . . um . . . derriere in that photo. And, I confidantly say that as a self-avowed connoisseur of such things. :wink:
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
MRotten wrote:I think we can stop complaining about the stunt artists. We all know the show used them during the filmed series. Stunt people are to be commended for their work, not complained about. What would you prefer, Rigg, Macnee, and Thorson doing all their stunts and possibly getting injured? Without the stunt people, there would have been no fight scenes, not an appealing scenario considering it's an action/adventure series.

I was commenting on how the fight was presented, not the fact that stunt people were used. The Avengers was not at it's best when it came to disguising the stunt people's faces and this was a prize example. Billy-as-Emma moves like a monkey wearing a horror wig.

I love The Avengers, but I have to say it as I see it, Mr Rotten! :wink:
If you don't like a man working as a stunt double for a woman, then I guess you wouldn't like the 1965-6 US series "Honey West". Star Anne Francis had a man in a blonde wig doing her stunt work in all 30 episodes. That fact doesn't detract from enjoying the series, and neither should the fact that Rigg was sometimes doubled by a man. Fight scenes add a great deal to these and other series, and without them the shows would be considerably less exciting. Production companies cannot afford to insure actors' safety in stunts, that's why doubles are used. Simple as that.

Of course, if stunt doubles are not one's cup of tea at all, there are the Cathy Gale episodes, where Honor Blackman, in all her enthusiasm, did it all herself.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

MRotten wrote: If you don't like a man working as a stunt double for a woman, then I guess you wouldn't like the 1965-6 US series "Honey West". Star Anne Francis had a man in a blonde wig doing her stunt work in all 30 episodes. That fact doesn't detract from enjoying the series, and neither should the fact that Rigg was sometimes doubled by a man. Fight scenes add a great deal to these and other series, and without them the shows would be considerably less exciting. Production companies cannot afford to insure actors' safety in stunts, that's why doubles are used. Simple as that.

Of course, if stunt doubles are not one's cup of tea at all, there are the Cathy Gale episodes, where Honor Blackman, in all her enthusiasm, did it all herself.
There is a middle ground - a stunt woman!
Last watched: "Concerto"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

MRotten wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
MRotten wrote:I think we can stop complaining about the stunt artists. We all know the show used them during the filmed series. Stunt people are to be commended for their work, not complained about. What would you prefer, Rigg, Macnee, and Thorson doing all their stunts and possibly getting injured? Without the stunt people, there would have been no fight scenes, not an appealing scenario considering it's an action/adventure series.

I was commenting on how the fight was presented, not the fact that stunt people were used. The Avengers was not at it's best when it came to disguising the stunt people's faces and this was a prize example. Billy-as-Emma moves like a monkey wearing a horror wig.

I love The Avengers, but I have to say it as I see it, Mr Rotten! :wink:
If you don't like a man working as a stunt double for a woman, then I guess you wouldn't like the 1965-6 US series "Honey West". Star Anne Francis had a man in a blonde wig doing her stunt work in all 30 episodes. That fact doesn't detract from enjoying the series, and neither should the fact that Rigg was sometimes doubled by a man. Fight scenes add a great deal to these and other series, and without them the shows would be considerably less exciting. Production companies cannot afford to insure actors' safety in stunts, that's why doubles are used. Simple as that.

Once again and for clarification - I was commenting on how the fight was presented, not the fact that stunt people were used. Man or woman.

Even when Cyd Child came on board (and I shall repeat myself here for clarification) the show was not at it's best when it came to disguising the stunt people's faces. It was what it was: a series that was meant to be watched once - or on a repeat if you were lucky. It is more a comment of television serials of the day than a criticism of The Avengers. But I'm not going to say it was anything else because it wasn't. I hope that's clearer. :)

As for Honey West - I'm aware of the series and I liked it very much. There's a thread about it on this forum.

Yes, Honor did all her own stunts, as did Patrick in those early episodes. They had to as it was done on videotape and not film.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Exactly. As I said, the show was meant for one viewing. It is only in repeated viewings when the mechanics of the episodes are noticeable. For me, the only time that a double's face is really obvious is in "The Living Dead", when it is quite plainly Cyd Child hurling the baddy over her shoulders in the cell scene.

I might add that another reason for stunt doubles was, again, the chance of an injury by the star, resulting in them being out of commission and thereby halting or postponing production schedules.