Why didn't Diana Rigg become a movie star?

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

frank wrote:The "actor" vs the "star" thing is tied to an intangible X factor that comes across in their performance. It's a charisma that goes beyond whatever acting talents they may or may not have. That charisma is bankable since it serves as a major motivator for large masses of people to want to see them if they are starring in a new tv show or to spend money to see them perform in a film or stage
It's really, really hard to balance being a "character actor" with being a "movie star" - the ability to submerge into convincingly different characters is often at the expense of having the repeated characteristics from film to film that make people buy tickets to see that on-screen persona again and again.

Some actors choose or are given roles that are sufficiently similar that the persona goes on from movie to movie without damaging the integrity of the characters - James Mason and Jimmy Stewart for example, maybe Peter O'Toole; others have great difficulty in not standing out like a sore thumb in later productions - to me, Liz Taylor and Richard Burton, even Marlon Brando, sometimes seem like square pegs in a round hole in some of their films.

Diana Rigg is very much a character actor. I don't know if she even cared to become a movie star. She seemed to like pure acting and the variety it offers, hence all the stage work as it is closest to what she likes.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

I think typecasting is to blame. Think about the careers of other 60's era tv stars of action/spy material:

Patrick MacNee: great character pieces, but no huge career worthy of him
Adam West & Burt Ward: not much either. I think Burt Ward hardly had any career at all.
Robert Vaughn and David McCullum: Some tv work, but not much in the way of movies

Bruce Lee from the Green Hornet got a career, but he had to go to Hong Kong to get it - in Hollywood, he couldn't even get cast in Kung Fu, losing out to David Carradine.

So my guess is that there was a time that the movies courted Ms Rigg, but all they would offer her were variations of Emma, so she never found a role in film to eclipse her fame from the Avengers and thus never went on to much after that.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Borgus Weems wrote:I think typecasting is to blame. Think about the careers of other 60's era tv stars of action/spy material:

Patrick MacNee: great character pieces, but no huge career worthy of him
Adam West & Burt Ward: not much either. I think Burt Ward hardly had any career at all.
Robert Vaughn and David McCullum: Some tv work, but not much in the way of movies

Bruce Lee from the Green Hornet got a career, but he had to go to Hong Kong to get it - in Hollywood, he couldn't even get cast in Kung Fu, losing out to David Carradine.

So my guess is that there was a time that the movies courted Ms Rigg, but all they would offer her were variations of Emma, so she never found a role in film to eclipse her fame from the Avengers and thus never went on to much after that.
only Macnee and vaughn had any kind of post avengers/ spy career and more. McCullum did release a couple of LP's on capitol, in the U.S.

BUT other than that..he was a footnote in acting circles
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

I think that the Bond experience put Diana off film. I also genuinely think that she didn't realise how magnetic her screen presence was.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Rodders wrote:I think that the Bond experience put Diana off film. I also genuinely think that she didn't realise how magnetic her screen presence was.
hard to say...perhaps...OHMSS, was a beast to film..with all the problems-ranging from Lazenby's antics, weather problems, over runs, Peter Hunt's diretion and relationships within the film etc...then again, her choice of films she did over the years, certainly influenced her status....etc...I think she was happiest doing stage work