The Avengers Optimum Release - US?

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

Alan wrote:
Lando wrote:It would be great if Optimum would put them out on blu ray for all regions.
Optimum no longer exist. They have been subsumed into Studio Canal, as have Kinowelt in Germany.
I've tried to contact Network about issuing The Persuaders blu ray in Region A, but I'm sure there's legal reasons and contracts. They never responded to my email.
Their license will only cover the UK. (And I can confirm the Persuaders Blu-ray is definitely coded Region B - sorry. It's marvellous.).
Thanks Alan.
It's frustrating being a fan of these shows here in the US...

I probably won't be investing in a region free blu ray player for a while due to cost. Wish I could get The Persuaders on blu ray here. Same with The Avengers and The Saint in terms of blu ray.

Are Studio Canals plans known at the moment?
Hopefully Network continues to survive. They both REALLY should look at doing region free blu rays. Especially since it appears there is no interest in bringing these shows to other regions due to sales or whatever it may be...

Grrr!!!

: )
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Lando wrote:It's frustrating being a fan of these shows here in the US...
It works both ways, of course. Blu-ray releases of films are regularly better in Region A than B (Criterion releases, for instance, are always coded 'A').
Not a whisper from them.
Hopefully Network continues to survive. They both REALLY should look at doing region free blu rays. Especially since it appears there is no interest in bringing these shows to other regions due to sales or whatever it may be...
The trouble is, Network are a small company (and licensees rather than licensors like Studio Canal) and negotiating for Region Free Blu-rays would be expensive: the difference between UK rights and world rights. Some of their releases are region free, but it seems to be only selected titles. Being a licensee, they are also at the mercy of the licensors who may wish to exploit their archives by licensing to different companies all around the world, thereby increasing their revenue.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Lando

Post by Lando »

Alan wrote:
Lando wrote:It's frustrating being a fan of these shows here in the US...
It works both ways, of course. Blu-ray releases of films are regularly better in Region A than B (Criterion releases, for instance, are always coded 'A').
Not a whisper from them.
The trouble is, Network are a small company (and licensees rather than licensors like Studio Canal) and negotiating for Region Free Blu-rays would be expensive: the difference between UK rights and world rights. Some of their releases are region free, but it seems to be only selected titles. Being a licensee, they are also at the mercy of the licensors who may wish to exploit their archives by licensing to different companies all around the world, thereby increasing their revenue.
It's frustrating for sure. I was so happy to hear the news about The Persuaders. I imported the Network DVD series as I have a region free dvd player. However with blu ray I just don't have the luxury at the moment of upgrading to a blu ray player with a region free mod. Plus the cost of the blu ray set. Probably $300-400 total for blu ray set and player depending on the player.

I would like to, but right now it's not in the cards. So I have to wait it out a bit.
Maybe a US company will pick up the rights in the meantime.

That $200 Bond 50 blu ray set has to get picked up in October too! : ) Plus I'm sure there are quite a bit of Skyfall merchandise and Bond tie ins on the way...
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Alan wrote:
denis wrote:I've just finished watching seasons 4 and 5 from Optimum. I stop here and I'm waiting for TNA in the same conditions :wink: ). The edition is marvellous ...but nothing is perfect. There are only four chapters per episode, there is no English subtitles (it would be good for British hearing impaired and foreigners) and the episode The Forget-Me-Knot is not on the Peel sets. At least, the scenes with Mrs Peel could have been in the bonus section!
We made a conscious decision not to include The Forget-Me-Knot on the Series 5 set, as it's the considered opinion of Jaz and myself that previously it had never been on the correct set. It wasn't transmitted with Series 5, was made as part of Series 6. Therefore it went with Series 6 and I believe it's the first time the series had been issued correctly in this respect.
I think it’s business as well. To oblige Mrs Peel’s fans to buy season 6….Pity but I keep The Forget-me Knot on the French Studio Canal version.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

denis wrote:
Alan wrote:We made a conscious decision not to include The Forget-Me-Knot on the Series 5 set, as it's the considered opinion of Jaz and myself that previously it had never been on the correct set. It wasn't transmitted with Series 5, was made as part of Series 6. Therefore it went with Series 6 and I believe it's the first time the series had been issued correctly in this respect.
I think it’s business as well. To oblige Mrs Peel’s fans to buy season 6….Pity but I keep The Forget-me Knot on the French Studio Canal version.
It wasn't remotely a business decision.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Lando

Post by Lando »

Just checking in to see if there is any further news. I cannot believe The Avengers series continues to be out of print here in the US. I looking online, I've noticed that many of the A&E DVD sets of the show are going for quite a bit of $ on ebay and second hand shops. It's a pity that someone here in the US won't take up the license.

Maybe A&E will come through when blu ray happens? Surely the Optimum transfers would work well in HD.
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Lando wrote:Just checking in to see if there is any further news. I cannot believe The Avengers series continues to be out of print here in the US. I looking online, I've noticed that many of the A&E DVD sets of the show are going for quite a bit of $ on ebay and second hand shops. It's a pity that someone here in the US won't take up the license.

Maybe A&E will come through when blu ray happens? Surely the Optimum transfers would work well in HD.
The trouble with the A & E sets is the quality. They look awful now compared to the Optimum DVDs. It would be great if a new DVD (or BluRay) set on The Avengers would get released here in the US, but I'm not holding my breath.
ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

You can get a multi region blu ray/ DVD player for a little over $200 shipped. I'm enjoying The Persuaders! currently. It looks fantastic. I hope the 50th anniversary Avengers set I've ordered looks nearly as good.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

ikbtops wrote:You can get a multi region blu ray/ DVD player for a little over $200 shipped. I'm enjoying The Persuaders! currently. It looks fantastic. I hope the 50th anniversary Avengers set I've ordered looks nearly as good.
"Legacy of Death" on the series 6 stand-alone box set aside, the Optimum/Canal region 2 remastered DVDs look easily as good as any release of The Persuaders! including the BluRay. And I say that wearing my new glasses!
Last watched: "Concerto"
ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

That's good to hear! Is it just that episode that looks sketchy, or all of season 6?