Ray Austin

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:By the way Timeless, I'm glad you took my comments in the way they were intended. I didn't mean to suggest you were being 'ungrateful' that we haven't got ALL the episodes we'd like. As an Avengers fan I would love to have them all, and beautifully restored to boot. I just sometimes think it's by sheer good fortune we have what we've got. Those Cathy Gales were nearly goners too - and all because they were on video and perhaps weren't seen to have the same overseas appeal of their counterparts The Saint and Danger Man.

It's just makes me feel sad that, outside of this forum, Ian Hendry doesn't stand toe to toe with Patrick, Gareth and the Avengers ladies as an Avenger.
Oh, no, I didn't think you were suggesting that at all. But it's certainly a shame that Ian's work on the series never got the broad audience it deserved, and the summaries in series guides have never really given us a lot to go on. That's why I love the Declassified write-ups so much--they give a great sense of what season one was like, and the dynamic between the characters, to the point I feel as though I've "seen" some of the episodes. I actually think now that, if we had the Keels, they'd be one of my favourite eras of the series, and I think Dr. Keel would have been one of my favourite Avengers. 8)
Frankymole wrote:Yes, scraping the dregs of my memory, there was some call or appeal for fans to do letter-writing and expressions of interest because even when the negatives were located, the owner (Weintraub? Or whoever owned them before?) didn't want to spend any money striking positives or copies, or restoring any damage, so they were going to languish forever, at best. Patrick Macnee himself complained about the situation, when informed of it by (I believe) Dave Rogers.

Clearly things turned round, with showings in the US and the UK in the early 90s, perhaps due to renewed 80s/early 90s interest in the Rigg seasons and 60s nostalgia in general.

But it was touch and go for a while. I certainly never expected to see them anyway - video releases were late starting (rights hell again, I suppose - or were Lumiere an incarnation of Canal, the famous restoration-dodgers?), and videos very few and far between when they did begin to come out with just patchy Rigg episodes here and there.
That makes me feel a bit sick, that they could have all deteriorated to nothing that easily. Thank heavens they got to them in time.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
kim
The Ministry

Just a reminder...

Post by kim »

Ray has asked me to remind everyone that he will be here..http://www.cinemamuseum.org.uk/2013/ray ... ick-fiddy/
on April 17th!
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:By the way Timeless, I'm glad you took my comments in the way they were intended. I didn't mean to suggest you were being 'ungrateful' that we haven't got ALL the episodes we'd like. As an Avengers fan I would love to have them all, and beautifully restored to boot. I just sometimes think it's by sheer good fortune we have what we've got. Those Cathy Gales were nearly goners too - and all because they were on video and perhaps weren't seen to have the same overseas appeal of their counterparts The Saint and Danger Man.

It's just makes me feel sad that, outside of this forum, Ian Hendry doesn't stand toe to toe with Patrick, Gareth and the Avengers ladies as an Avenger.
Oh, no, I didn't think you were suggesting that at all. But it's certainly a shame that Ian's work on the series never got the broad audience it deserved, and the summaries in series guides have never really given us a lot to go on. That's why I love the Declassified write-ups so much--they give a great sense of what season one was like, and the dynamic between the characters, to the point I feel as though I've "seen" some of the episodes. I actually think now that, if we had the Keels, they'd be one of my favourite eras of the series, and I think Dr. Keel would have been one of my favourite Avengers. 8)
Frankymole wrote:Yes, scraping the dregs of my memory, there was some call or appeal for fans to do letter-writing and expressions of interest because even when the negatives were located, the owner (Weintraub? Or whoever owned them before?) didn't want to spend any money striking positives or copies, or restoring any damage, so they were going to languish forever, at best. Patrick Macnee himself complained about the situation, when informed of it by (I believe) Dave Rogers.

Clearly things turned round, with showings in the US and the UK in the early 90s, perhaps due to renewed 80s/early 90s interest in the Rigg seasons and 60s nostalgia in general.

But it was touch and go for a while. I certainly never expected to see them anyway - video releases were late starting (rights hell again, I suppose - or were Lumiere an incarnation of Canal, the famous restoration-dodgers?), and videos very few and far between when they did begin to come out with just patchy Rigg episodes here and there.
That makes me feel a bit sick, that they could have all deteriorated to nothing that easily. Thank heavens they got to them in time.
yes. I still would like to see a first rate restoration done for the series with lots of extras.
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Re: Just a reminder...

Post by mariocki »

kim wrote:Ray has asked me to remind everyone that he will be here..http://www.cinemamuseum.org.uk/2013/ray ... ick-fiddy/
on April 17th!
Looking forward to it :)
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

I very much hope someone on the board went to see Ray and will post about it. He sounds amazing. How many stuntman can say they worked on the movie North by Northwest with Cary Grant? There were some really fantastic scenes in that movie!

Does anyone know what he is doing now or how one can be in touch with him? :?:
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

I went and it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening. I thought he'd be on for about an hour but it was more like three. Plenty of stories about Cary Grant, Elizabeth Taylor and the likes and his story about how he saw the same doctor three times in one day while filming Ghost Squad (I think) was very funny, even ithough I'd heard it before at Chichester. A very engaging man who I hope will write his autobiography soon.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Speed Six
Little Wonder

Post by Speed Six »

mariocki wrote:I went and it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening.
Missed you again !

Yes - it was a wonderfully entertaining talk supported by some very well chosen clips. I'm sure he could have kept going for hours, and an autobiography would be most welcome.
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

First of all thank you so much for responding. I am a new member and this is such a wonderful forum!

Oh if you have a moment please do tell more. How I would have loved to join you both! Briefly if you have a moment to elaborate it would be so appreciated.

What was the story mariocki about the doctor Ray saw 3 times?

I live in California and just met with a stunt man who was in the tv show, The Wild Wild West. It was fascinating. He started working in the 40's and worked with Cecil B. DeMille in the Ten Commandments and was in the Wild Bunch from 1969 and worked with Sam Peckinpah. These guys are pretty amazing.

What I am curious about is what that final scene was like in North by North West for Ray and also anything of interest from the avengers.

Does anyone know if he is doing anymore talks? Does he live in the UK or in the US now? Anyway to be in touch with him?
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

He lives in the USA now. I'm not sure about how to contact him but he does have a website.

Regarding the doctor story, I'm sure someone will correct me if I get it wrong but if I remember correctly, one day he'd been filming a sword fight scene in the morning whereby he'd sustained a wound to his thigh where the sword had pierced the skin. He then went on location in the afternoon to film a jump from a balcony but because of the earlier injury didn't push off the way he was meant to and hit his head on the way down and didn't land the way he was meant to. The doctor, who he described as looking like Margaret Rutherford, attended and patched him up, saying that he shouldn't be doing something so dangerous

Returning to the studio he then did a scene where he was thrown through a glass window which again didn't go to plan and resulted in him having stitches, again administered by the same doctor who further admonished him for his dangerous behaviour. After work he went for a drink and then got into his Mini Cooper - and split the stitches that had been put in earlier, which of course meant that the doctor was called for the third time. I think that's about the gist of it!
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Before I forget, what is Ray's website? can't find it!

THAT'S HILARIOUS!!!! Ray sure has a sense of humor! Thank you so very much for sharing!
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."