Emma Peel Megaset US Rerelease

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

John Johnson
Nutshell

Post by John Johnson »

Lando wrote:
John Johnson wrote:I saw the set on sale at my local Sam's Club several weeks ago. It looks like a lot of the discs are stacked one on top of each in the box. Can this be confirmed?
Ouch! If this is true, it is pretty awful!!
This doesn't look good to me.

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

You wait until you see the picture!

They're not the remasters.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

A lot of the Network releases are packaged like that. If you have to get one of the bottom discs out, it's a bit of brain teaser to get them all back in again!
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

John Johnson wrote:
Lando wrote:
John Johnson wrote:I saw the set on sale at my local Sam's Club several weeks ago. It looks like a lot of the discs are stacked one on top of each in the box. Can this be confirmed?
Ouch! If this is true, it is pretty awful!!

Thanks for the picture! Would you please post some more of the packaging as well?

The discs are stacked correct?

That is multiple discs on each of the spindles?

I bought Bewitched the complete series at Costco and the discs were stacked inside the box set of that series.

It is a real missed opportunity by A&E to have not issued the remastered discs. In addition, a blu ray release of the remastered discs would've been a day one purchase for me.

For now I am very very happy with the Optimum UK 50th anniversary DVD set.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Lando wrote:
John Johnson wrote:
Lando wrote: Ouch! If this is true, it is pretty awful!!

Thanks for the picture! Would you please post some more of the packaging as well?

horrible..discs are prone to scruffs....etc.....

The discs are stacked correct?

That is multiple discs on each of the spindles?

I bought Bewitched the complete series at Costco and the discs were stacked inside the box set of that series.

It is a real missed opportunity by A&E to have not issued the remastered discs. In addition, a blu ray release of the remastered discs would've been a day one purchase for me.

For now I am very very happy with the Optimum UK 50th anniversary DVD set.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I'm distressed that The Complete Set is not available in America on Region 1 discs. The Region 2 set is right now prohibitively expensive, but I think that if given a chance and the proper marketing, the full series could do very well in America. At the very least I'd like a proper chance at the Cathy Gale episodes and the few commentaries that are available.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Lhbizness wrote:I'm distressed that The Complete Set is not available in America on Region 1 discs. The Region 2 set is right now prohibitively expensive, but I think that if given a chance and the proper marketing, the full series could do very well in America. At the very least I'd like a proper chance at the Cathy Gale episodes and the few commentaries that are available.
It is very disappointing, I agree. Especially given the A&E releases have been out-of-print for awhile now. Given that the region 2 releases are all put together already, you`d think it would be easy for a region 1 distributor to simply convert the format and release them over here. They clearly believe there`s a market, as they`re rereleasing the Emma episodes. It tends to undermine the arguments for the (pointless) DVD region system, as well. How can they be protecting the North American market when there are no region one releases to protect? :roll:

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Lhbizness wrote:I'm distressed that The Complete Set is not available in America on Region 1 discs. The Region 2 set is right now prohibitively expensive, but I think that if given a chance and the proper marketing, the full series could do very well in America. At the very least I'd like a proper chance at the Cathy Gale episodes and the few commentaries that are available.
It is very disappointing, I agree. Especially given the A&E releases have been out-of-print for awhile now. Given that the region 2 releases are all put together already, you`d think it would be easy for a region 1 distributor to simply convert the format and release them over here. They clearly believe there`s a market, as they`re rereleasing the Emma episodes. It tends to undermine the arguments for the (pointless) DVD region system, as well. How can they be protecting the North American market when there are no region one releases to protect? :roll:
good point...i own the original Peel mega set...with the 'large-fat' dvd cases....which I purchased yrsago..eventually, the were re release with the smaller and slimmer cases, along with a peel bonus disc.....they finally went outta print...and I believe A & Estill sells whatever left over stock they may have....it's a shame that the rights have not been retained...and a clean up..done..and-or-a blu-ray edition for the U.S. market performed..and given the right promotion, they would do well...I would buy another mega Peel set in an heart beat
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

mousemeat wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
good point...i own the original Peel mega set...with the 'large-fat' dvd cases....which I purchased yrsago..eventually, the were re release with the smaller and slimmer cases, along with a peel bonus disc.....they finally went outta print...and I believe A & Estill sells whatever left over stock they may have....it's a shame that the rights have not been retained...and a clean up..done..and-or-a blu-ray edition for the U.S. market performed..and given the right promotion, they would do well...I would buy another mega Peel set in an heart beat
Yes, I've got the original megaset as well, but both versions have indeed been out-of-print for awhile now. It's a real shame. The A&E releases did well, I think, and it's been long enough that they could do a whole fresh set of releases without worrying about a saturated marketplace. It's a shame because they're neglecting a whole (profitable) segment of the show's fanbase, and making it harder for new fans to get access to the show.

Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

It is puzzling I agree. I gave up a year ago and ordered the UK box set. I sold my 90s Emma Peel set and at the time it brought in enough that I was able to cover the purchase of the UK set.

Of course I'm sure the 90s A&E sets are now declining due to the reissue.

It's so strange that The Avengers has not been issued on blu ray, IMO.

I'm not sure what is the reasoning for keeping The Avengers out of print in the US market. Or why A&E HV is reissuing old masters on dvd, when there are the fantastic new transfers used on the UK set.