16%
4%
8%
8%

Total votes: 25

denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

peabody wrote:I keep returning to this one for some reason... Yes, I think I actually enjoy it a lot. Need to re-watch this again very soon. Or go see a psychiatrist.
Hi peabody!

Welcome back to the forum.

Must say I'm also fan of this episode since I saw it on Russian for the first time in the 2012. :wink:

One Ukrainian Avengers fan had several episodes that were shown in his country in Russian on the TV channel TET in the late 1990s (he sent me some that Russian public has not seen on main run). It was the real revelation for me, earlier I thought that in Ukraine was only one TV run of series - on channel TV6 in the mid-1990s.

"Invasion of the Earthmen" liked me by embodiment, plot, atmosphere and dissimilarity to other stories. One of main nuances, which seems main minus is the very poor scenery, fake snake and spiders, but if evaluate the academy as an amateur organization for washing the brains of young people, things will seen in other aspects. This poverty look more attractive with the filing of the director (the Academy is an artificial world of its own, a man in a robot suit, acid lake, which the one can jump over, etс. - in a fake world certain things looks appropriate - there are no contradictions). So I like it in contrast to the episode Trap, where the forest area where heroes run around and around same places :lol: , was real - not artificial. :wink:

I watched "Invasion of the Earthmen" about five times and always received the same enjoyment that for the first time. :D
I wish you nice watching, peabody! :)

It will be interesting to hear your opinion about the episode after the last view. :)
Denis
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

When I covered the episode in Rodney's book I came to the same conclusion. A good basic concept that seems okay on paper, it just isn't that good on screen (and it exhibits some trademark Terry Nation laziness). The tunnel really needed better special effects. It's the "that'll do" approach to filming which does it in for me.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

dissolute wrote:When I covered the episode in Rodney's book I came to the same conclusion. A good basic concept that seems okay on paper, it just isn't that good on screen (and it exhibits some trademark Terry Nation laziness). The tunnel really needed better special effects. It's the "that'll do" approach to filming which does it in for me.
Piers

This episode was produced by John Bryce and the lack of Brian and Albert's involvement is very apparent.
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

Well, Invasion of the Earthmen is an episode that I absolutely love! The visuals are indeed a bit ropey, and I can't quite put my finger on why I enjoy watching it quite as much as I do, but the casting connection with Terry Nation's Survivors (Lucy Fleming) plays a part and so does the Doctor Who type 'cavern of peril' setting near the end...
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Barely Avengerish at all. Not convinced that Terry Nation 'got' The Avengers.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

I pop this one in and re-watch it from time to time. Definitely not the worst episode ever done. I would like to see the "Director's Cut" if it could be found somewhere.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

It's interesting that Clemens decided to keep this one as he felt that Nation got the Avengers. Despite not quite feeling right, there's a good thriller aspect to this one and the addition of tension that had been lacking in the show.

I think that when they did the reshot scenes to explain the Tara wig, they should have done the scene in the agent's hotel room as it makes Tara an amateur (Steed - "there's no reason you should know, it's regulations").

It think a more appropriate director would have handled this better. Don Sharp just isn't an Avengers director. John Hough does some lovely second unit location footage like around the hotel scenes.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

I know it's bad, but I absolutely love it. From the junior school craft lesson 'make a snake' to the 1960's silk Christmas tree decorations it's just pure fun all the way. Tara in the blonde wig, tan leather outfit and puff sleeve shirt looks like shes straight out of an old Errol Flynn swash buckling movie, but she looks amazing ! A totally unique episode, that is (for whatever reason good or bad) more entertaining than many other episodes.
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

I enjoy this episode.

While it is odd to have an electrified desk, Steed's jumping at touching it, and his sudden embarrassment at his reaction and his pulling his jacket down as he regains his English composure is cool to watch and well acted by Macnee.

Of course, I also like seeing Steed pass through the obstacle course so well.

It's not much to write home about, sure, but I'm not using The Avengers to write an in-depth PhD on the technilogical methodology of creating a television show. I just like Steed.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

Last week I belatedly remembered to tune into ITV4 for their run of series 6. Unfortunately a snooker tournament had overrun. I stayed watching in the hope that the game would end and The Avengers would start but to no avail. 60 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

Last night I sat down for another go and watched "Invasion of the Earthmen". By the half way point I was yearning for snooker, I can't really give a more damning indictment than that.

2/10 (mostly for the opening scenes).