Making it New? A Reappraisal of The New Avengers

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

If I was Gambit I'd worry about going along with any of Steed's plans, because if anything (thanks to that scene) Steed makes it seem like he has been replaced with a less-gentlemanly version of himself :)
Last watched: "The Charmers"
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

I was also confused about Faces and how to interpret those scenes. I think the problem started in the writing room. I would guess they did not have enough time or put enough thought into the scene. The characters behaviors really just don't make sense. And I'm sure 40 years later they did not think we would be analyzing it.
But i did love Purdey's kick! 8)
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Frankymole wrote:If I was Gambit I'd worry about going along with any of Steed's plans, because if anything (thanks to that scene) Steed makes it seem like he has been replaced with a less-gentlemanly version of himself :)
Good point. It was lucky for him Gambit didn't decide to use that pump-action shotgun on something other than pigeons. :wink:
anti-clockwise wrote:I was also confused about Faces and how to interpret those scenes. I think the problem started in the writing room. I would guess they did not have enough time or put enough thought into the scene. The characters behaviors really just don't make sense. And I'm sure 40 years later they did not think we would be analyzing it.
But i did love Purdey's kick!
That reminds me that Faces was one of those two scripts that Clemens and Dennis Spooner swapped between them when they had writer's block--this was the one Clemens started and Spooner finished. So some of the ambiguity may be down to the two halves not quite lining up. Regardless, the episode's loads of fun. I never get sick of watching it. 8)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

It's a very entertaining episode. No doubt about that.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Rodders wrote:It's a very entertaining episode. No doubt about that.
more more ways than one....lol
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

An update: chapters now completed on:
The Eagle’s Nest
The Last of the Cybernauts…?
To Catch a Rat
Cat Amongst the Pigeons
Target!
The Tale of the Big Why
Sleeper
Hostage

Next up, Dead Men Are Dangerous. The book also includes explanations as to the non-inclusion of other decent (and disappointing) episodes.

I expect the book to be finished and available in early November.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

You are speeding through there Rodney. Can't wait to read. Just saw Dead Men are Dangerous last night. Not their best. But it had its moments. How many episodes do you plan to review of TNA?
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

a dirty dozen or so!
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

I have now moved on to the Canadian episodes and the individual episodes so far covered are:
The Eagle’s Nest
Last of the Cybernauts…?
To Catch A Rat
Cat Amongst the Pigeons
Target!
The Tale of the Big Why
Sleeper
Hostage
Dead Men Are Dangerous
Angels of Death
K is for Kill (Parts 1 & 2)
Book should be complete in a fortnight's time
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

It interesting, this talk of a failure in the characterization of Purdey/Gambit/Steed, in that it reminds me of another cult tv dust-up. Specifically, the episode City on the Edge of Forever on Star Trek. Harlan Ellison came up with the story, which involved Star Fleet allowing for a drug abuse culture to exist. Show creator Gene Roddenberry felt it was not in keeping with his conception of Star Trek so he changed it to where Bones accidently gave himself a shot of drugs to set the plot in motion, and Ellison has been griping about it ever since. If you think that the creator is right and the world of sci-fi can work any way they want to, you've got to agree with Roddenberry, but if you think that it's "unrealistic" not to believe that there is alwayways corruption and abuse throughout the world, you would side with Ellison.

How does this compare to the Avengers? That scene with Steed and Gambit may have been because whoever the writer for the episode was may have been the sort who felt like sexism existed in society so it should be included in the New Avengers, even if it was a violation of character that any fan could see.

In any case, it's an idea!