Avengers Revisited: yet another creative idea

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Why not choose Steed in a particular vintage, Season 4, 5 and 6 and I'll ask Sunday to cover the other seasons.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

or the opening chapter trying to define Avengerland?
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I'll take Season 4 Steed, then. I don't want to step on anyone's toes - that's just what I'm interested in. If you'd rather it be a cohesive chapter, I'll bow out.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

no, it will be good to have different people's opinions. That what these books are about.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Avengerland intro: ?
Steed: Season 4 Lauren, Season 5 Sunday, Season 6 ?
Emma: James
Tara: Frank
Mother: ?
Gambit: Timeless
Purdey: ?
Diabolical Masterminds: ?
Country House Traps: Rodney
Graveyards/Churches: ?
Apartment Sets: ?
Sets/Locations: ?
Music: ?
Fashions: Sunday
Cars: ?
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

mousemeat wrote:I've heard that ABC ( U.S.) was quietly trying to re shape a UK show, for
american tastes..that is one of the problems when you allow something like that to happen...and when the american money got pulled, when the show was cancelled, it hasted the demise of the characters-show.
Given the initial popularity of the show with American viewers, it seems yet another indication of American execs not really understanding the taste of the population. The Avengers is fun for Americans because it's so very English - that's part of the cache, I think. Steed's a very English hero - I don't think he could exist in an American setting.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Lhbizness wrote:
mousemeat wrote:I've heard that ABC ( U.S.) was quietly trying to re shape a UK show, for
american tastes..that is one of the problems when you allow something like that to happen...and when the american money got pulled, when the show was cancelled, it hasted the demise of the characters-show.
Given the initial popularity of the show with American viewers, it seems yet another indication of American execs not really understanding the taste of the population. The Avengers is fun for Americans because it's so very English - that's part of the cache, I think. Steed's a very English hero - I don't think he could exist in an American setting.
you're probably right..Steed was an product of HIS culture....however. I thought the show should have continue, even after it was pulled from the U.S. schedule...and the U.S. money
dried up..you would have thought there was another funds and support in the UK and beyond....but again, once the U.S. support went bye bye, so did the show
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

The show had come to a natural end. There are enough episodes to re-watch and enjoy. Better to let it go gracefully than to put it on the television equivalent of a life-support machine.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Rodders wrote:The show had come to a natural end. There are enough episodes to re-watch and enjoy. Better to let it go gracefully than to put it on the television equivalent of a life-support machine.
I am glad that it never really jumped the shark, but another season (under different, happier circumstances) might have been nice. Removal of American backers might actually have brought it back around. But six seasons is a long run for any show, and most tend to peak around then.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

I think that the existing seasons compliment each other really well. Less is more.