the movie.

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

MikeR wrote:
why bother wrote:Never ever rule anything out. The top people are always changing. I've had shows were I've been booked by one person , a few weeks later when I've gone to do the gig that persons no longer there and somebody else is in charge.
So there is always a chance. Films Godzilla has already been quoted, but also look at Buffy the Vampire slayer and Stargate, both were medioca films, both spawned incredibly successful TV series. So there is always the chance.
Now wheather they should do it or not is a completely differnt question.
Hi John

You have a very valid point there as both Buffy and SG1 movies were okay, but not brilliant, but as you pointed out, they both led to very successful (and incidentally ones I regularly watched) TV series.
the tv versions..were ok...not exactly must SEE TV..but not a waste of time, either
why bother
Thingumajig

Post by why bother »

mousemeat wrote:the tv versions..were ok...not exactly must SEE TV..but not a waste of time, either
Now there we open a whole new can of worms, commercial success over whether you personally like it. For me point in case Mission Impossible films commercially very successful, but from my point of view not really Mission Impossible.
Little Storping Museum. The Online museum of Television. www.murdersville.co.uk
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

why bother wrote:
mousemeat wrote:the tv versions..were ok...not exactly must SEE TV..but not a waste of time, either
Now there we open a whole new can of worms, commercial success over whether you personally like it. For me point in case Mission Impossible films commercially very successful, but from my point of view not really Mission Impossible.
how true. Hollywood has a way of distorting the very best shows by putting them on the big screen. They take the utter essence out of the series every time. Can't wait till MFU. no doubt lots of gadgets and fancy special effects but will not look anything like MFU. that's y guess as history repeats itself
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
why bother
Thingumajig

Post by why bother »

anti-clockwise wrote:
why bother wrote:
how true. Hollywood has a way of distorting the very best shows by putting them on the big screen. They take the utter essence out of the series every time. Can't wait till MFU. no doubt lots of gadgets and fancy special effects but will not look anything like MFU. that's y guess as history repeats itself
Ah the UNCLE movie, I'm hopeful for it, having met and spoken to many involved with it. UNCLE My other great love, for me the Avengers is the greatest ever British TV series , while UNCLE is the greatest ever American show, I love them both equally , though if push came to shove being British I'd have to pick Avengers.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

why bother wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:
why bother wrote: Now there we open a whole new can of worms, commercial success over whether you personally like it. For me point in case Mission Impossible films commercially very successful, but from my point of view not really Mission Impossible.
Ah the UNCLE movie, I'm hopeful for it, having met and spoken to many involved with it. UNCLE My other great love, for me the Avengers is the greatest ever British TV series , while UNCLE is the greatest ever American show, I love them both equally , though if push came to shove being British I'd have to pick Avengers.
oh please do tell. Who have you met and how is the progress on it? From what you hear do you think it will be authentic to original UNCLE?
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
jaz
Winged Avenger

Post by jaz »

Ralph Fiennes was awful as Steed (pretentious as well with the way he insists his name is pronounced! He'll always be Ralf to me with the oversized bowler who can't act for toffee!) - controversial I know but that's what I think.

I ask the most stupid questions!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Didn't someone at the time describe Ralphie as looking like a younger brother who had borrowed his elder brother's oversized bowler? And he was also compared unfavourably to Stan Laurel.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Didn't someone at the time describe Ralphie as looking like a younger brother who had borrowed his elder brother's oversized bowler? And he was also compared unfavourably to Stan Laurel.
but at least Laurel could act....and knew comic timings....
why bother
Thingumajig

Post by why bother »

anti-clockwise wrote:
why bother wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:how true. Hollywood has a way of distorting the very best shows by putting them on the big screen. They take the utter essence out of the series every time. Can't wait till MFU. no doubt lots of gadgets and fancy special effects but will not look anything like MFU. that's y guess as history repeats itself
oh please do tell. Who have you met and how is the progress on it? From what you hear do you think it will be authentic to original UNCLE?
Well I did meet one of the lead actors and had a nice chat with him for about an hour over a lunch brake at Levesden one day but I knew quite a few of the AD's and and costume department people. (Pet gripe I seemed to spend most of the UNCLE's production period up at that studio on every other film going except that, gutted !!! Did get to see several of the sets and props and stuff laying around up there though didn't get any souveneirs :-( )

From what I've seen and heard from them I think it will be OK, but you can never tell.
why bother
Thingumajig

Post by why bother »

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:Didn't someone at the time describe Ralphie as looking like a younger brother who had borrowed his elder brother's oversized bowler? And he was also compared unfavourably to Stan Laurel.
but at least Laurel could act....and knew comic timings....
Worked on Invisible Woman with him a couple of years back, wasn't overly impressed by him as a director either. I spent much of the time, while on that job, making comments about how I hadn't forgiven him for the Avengers movie lol.