Mrs. Peel, We're Needed book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Mike, Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots features quite heavily in both this volume and the next one, demonstrating how important a decent production history is when analysing the episodes themselves.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

I've received my paperback copy from Amazon. Can't find any typos. There is a blank page but it hasn't affected the accuracy of the contents page numbers. The Lulu hardback had computer-generated mistakes on the inside front cover fly sheet. This has now been corrected by Lulu but I apologise that this mistake appears on the books purchased in the first week. The actual book contents themselves are unaffected. I look forward to any feedback from readers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Rodders wrote:I've received my paperback copy from Amazon. Can't find any typos. There is a blank page but it hasn't affected the accuracy of the contents page numbers. The Lulu hardback had computer-generated mistakes on the inside front cover fly sheet. This has now been corrected by Lulu but I apologise that this mistake appears on the books purchased in the first week. The actual book contents themselves are unaffected. I look forward to any feedback from readers.
have ordered as well..looking forward
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

I've received my paperback copy and am thoroughly enjoying it.
I think its a fine artistic work and a great credit to Rodney and all the contributors.
The chapters are of astonishing high quality. The cover by Jaz is dazzlingly good.

I think we've done all the Emma Peel/John Steed stories proud.

I can't find any typos.
I love Lauren's forward and Rodney's brilliantly written preface and introduction.
The quotes from the episodes is a splendid new addition.

My hardback copy from Lulu is on order - looking forward to its arrival.
Both the paperback and hardback versions deserve to sell really well.

Its been an absolute privilege to have contributed and written a total
of five chapters in series 4 and 5 on my favourite era of my favourite television series.
James/Mrs Emma Peel
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

Just received my hardback copy today - its a really beautiful, stylish book,
well worth the extra for such a superb HB edition.

I see Mrs Peel, We're Needed is currently doing extremely well at No.7
on Amazon's Television section best-sellers list - David Suchet's Poirot is at No.6.
James/Mrs Emma Peel
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Yes, it's selling well, James, but behind Bright Horizons. The Peel monochrome era seems to be more popular with staunch Avengers fans. I do think that the new book has something interesting and innovative to say about the colour era though.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

mrs_emma_peel wrote:Just received my hardback copy today - its a really beautiful, stylish book,
well worth the extra for such a superb HB edition.

One of the advantages of the hardback is that Jaz's wonderful deep pink colour cover is faithfully reproduced, whereas it comes out salmon pink in paperback. Don't know why!
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

I finally got my copy of the book (paperback only alas. My current finances are tight and I was helped by a gift card)

Rodney I looked first at your chapter for 50,000 lb breakfast. I am always surprised to read that it fares poorly vs Death of a Great Dane. I actually prefer the remake because of the changes and I felt the acting was better. The presence of Miss Pegram makes a huge difference in the layers of the story. I loved how she was basically written as the anti-Mrs. Peel. Like Emma is the fantasy and Miss Pegram the more th reality
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

frank wrote:I finally got my copy of the book (paperback only alas. My current finances are tight and I was helped by a gift card)

Rodney I looked first at your chapter for 50,000 lb breakfast. I am always surprised to read that it fares poorly vs Death of a Great Dane. I actually prefer the remake because of the changes and I felt the acting was better. The presence of Miss Pegram makes a huge difference in the layers of the story. I loved how she was basically written as the anti-Mrs. Peel. Like Emma is the fantasy and Miss Pegram the more th reality
It was important for me - unlike in Bright Horizons - to write the chapters on my father's episodes. Perhaps because these were his last ever ones. As for the paperback, well the interior is the same. And Death's Door is one of the very best chapters, thanks to you. One of the best episodes as well.
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

Rodders wrote:
frank wrote:I finally got my copy of the book (paperback only alas. My current finances are tight and I was helped by a gift card)

It was important for me - unlike in Bright Horizons - to write the chapters on my father's episodes. Perhaps because these were his last ever ones. As for the paperback, well the interior is the same. And Death's Door is one of the very best chapters, thanks to you. One of the best episodes as well.
I totally agree. A really fascinating chapter on a great episode.