From Venus with love-love it or loathe it!

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

vintage Emma

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:There are some great Diana Rigg lines too - "No, I'm feeling positively Stubborn!" and "Ah, well. It's better than a peroxide rinse!" I love the bit where she's skulking around the garage in her most iconic blue 'Emmapeeler'.

how true..at times, Emma could really let loose with some choice lines !
The Gaslight Ghoul
Winged Avenger

Post by The Gaslight Ghoul »

LOVE IT!!!

Like Cyberrich I too saw this for first time when Channel four ran them in the early 80's, having only seen The New Avengers when I was about 11 or 12, so seeing The Avengers was a new experince for me and I was hooked totally.

Jon Pertwee (who was my Dr, pardon the pun) was brilliant as Brigadier Whitehead, and Philip Locke stole the show as Primble and of course Barbara Shelley was great in an ethereally odd kind of way.

I like finding the strange little quirks in episodes, and there's one in this one in the scene where Emma discovers how the murders are being perpetrated and finds the car with the laser beam, she has the fight with Primble's heavy, Martin, and when Primble asks him who she is, they dub a voice onto the stuntman that is completely someone doing a really over the top Cary Grant impression, listen out for it the next time you watch this one, it cracks me up everytime. :lol:

Fantastic episode.
You check the files, I'll check my memories.
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

I think "From Venus with Love" is the first-ever episode I have seen, and certainly is the oldest episode I remember.
More: that episode is to blame for the fact that I have bought a Lotus Elan S3 look-a-like, namely a Mazda MX-5.
I saw the episode when I was six years old or so, and it was frightning and puzzling at the same time.
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Post by waldotyson »

This is the best episode of all. And there's one thing that's especially golden about it- "Betrom Fortiscule Winthrop Smythe"

I love the way that lasers make such an obscene sound in this episode as well.
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

An interesting side note - does anybody besides me think that this real-world book on Venus bears an uncanny resembellence to the one features in this episode?

LINK
helenofirvine
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by helenofirvine »

Well, I guess I'm going to be a lonely dissenter here.

While there were great lines, I didn't much care for the plot. Even then as a 12 year old child I knew that Venus didn't look like a fuzzy out of focus ping-pong ball.

The laser turning people white and dead was also something I knew could not happen, based on reading Popular Science magazines at the time. We looked to lasers to be wonderful things and with all sorts of uses (most of which turned out to be false), but a laser that kills people would simply burn a whole right through them.

So, since I was a science gal even then, I found it to be totally abhorrent that they didn't even try to follow basic science about lasers. All the writers had to do was read up in Popular Science or Popular Mechanics at that time in the 60s to know so.

That reall blew me off this episode because they were using a real world device, a laser, and making it totally unreal.

I would have preferred a "death ray" or some such thing in order to keep the fantasy intact.

I did like the bowler eye test though! And loved that Emma got her hands dirty in the garage while wearing her emmapeeler! ;)
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: From Venus with love-love it or loathe it!

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:Having watched all of the monochrome, this week I've started watching the colour Mrs Peel season. For the umpteenth time! When I first joined this forum I was so surprised to see so many negative comments from Avengers fans about this season in particular. I think it's a great season, hardly a dull moment, and the second best after season 4. Venus is a terrific episode. One of the best from this season. Not too big on plot admittedly. But big on style, lots of fun, and several great characters such as the Brigadier acting out his memoirs, Venus who manages to act ethereal and hammy at one and the same time, and my favourite, Bertram Smith the chimney sweep. What do you all think?
RATING 10 OUT OF 10. 3RD BEST SEASON 5 EPISODE.
a good,episode..not great..but close
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I'd agree. A good episode, no more, no less. It's rather like Positive Negative Man and Return of the Cybernauts. Typical Levene episodes which were enjoyable but not remarkable.
malte1982
Nutshell

Post by malte1982 »

I like this episode. From Venus with love was my first episode, that i captured on VHS in the 90s.

Its on the 3 Place of my TOP 10 Episodes from Season 5. Science Fiction at the beginning, you think its an UFO and then an logic end, thats typical for the Avengers. I really like the Characters, like the colonel etc. thats makes this Episode an classic of the series.
Dfrise
Thingumajig

Post by Dfrise »

Can't say I like it. The clues left strewn about the story are entirely misleading. Some examples: What is that white powder that is found at the scenes of the crimes? (Uh, it's from a laser beam.)
How does the mystery weapon target people inside houses? And strike them with one shot? (Uh, the laser just finds them.)
What caused the image of Venus to expand in the series of photographs at the scene of one of the crimes? (Uh, the laser pulled Venus closer to the earth?)
The Avengers can be stylish and sometimes ask indulgence from the viewer, but this episode asks for it all.