EPIC

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

There's some very striking imagery in the episode. I agree with one reviewer that said Brian Clemens was going for an iconic look, but the story - what there is of it - doesn't make a lot of sense. I wonder what they were smoking when they were filming it all. I certainly wouldn't place it next to The Avengers at it's best.

However Diana looks great in it, and only she can get away with that MGM roar.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:However Diana looks great in it, and only she can get away with that MGM roar.
I agree! And that MGM roar is one of the things I like best about the episode. :)
Allen
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Artanis wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:However Diana looks great in it, and only she can get away with that MGM roar.
I agree! And that MGM roar is one of the things I like best about the episode. :)
"Remember I'm the star of this picture!" Totally mad!
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

The last scene is also wonderful:
"There is an old Stewert Kirby movie at the Plaza"
"I was Napoleons nanny"

Chuckles.
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

Artanis wrote:
That MGM roar is brilliant :lol:
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

one roar does not an episode make. I think the best character is the actor policeman, played by David Lodge. The wedding/funeral images are also memorable. But this is The Avengers playing at being The Avengers, not the real deal. I know that Barry has said that he isn't interested in plot but surely some fans would prefer a bit of a storyline to 'chew on'.
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

I agree it would be bad if all episodes were a bit like this. But in this case most of the Avengers episodes are amazing, and quite serious, so one funny, sort of parody of everything imaginable episode isn't so bad.
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

Well personally I've always enjoyed Epic and after seeing Sunset Boulevard, I can accept this lack of an obvious plot.

All Clemens did was take the characters from that movie and transport them to the world of the Avengers. Unlike High Noon or the Maltese Falcon, Sunset Boulevard is primarily a character study about people in Hollywood. The film is dark and biting in how people use and get used by the system. The main character believes she is still a great star even though hollywood has abandoned her. Deep down she knows the truth and therefore is willinging to do anything to get back her fame. She needs it. It's all that's left of her identity. There is a scene with Cecil B Demille that is heartbreaking.

In Epic it's the same desperate, delusional people who are doing these insane things and rationalize it in the name of filmmaking or re-attaining their status in the acting community. Note the focus in the episode is on the villains more than the heroes.

It's interesting the funeral scene is the one that has made the strongest impression. It's a classic example of german expression that was so prevalent in the 1920s from German cinema. That scene was I suspect deliberately put as another wink to von Schnerk being based Erick von Stroheims character as he was a promising german director

Now of course I understand not everyone liking this episode or it not holding of for some. That's cool. It's all good.

Personally Epic has my favorite tag scene since I feel it ties in and comments on the episode it's attached to better than any other tag scene
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Hard to beat the mistletoe at the end of Too Many Christmas Trees.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I'm sure that 1920s German expressionism had its merits but I still think the episode owes far more to The Prisoner than anything else, particularly a drugged Emma waking up in a replica of her own flat.
If this thread proves anything, it is that this episode still splits Avengers fans. My feelings are ambivalent towards it and I certainly don't hate it like the Dossier does:
"A rather horrid episode, just a series of witless cliches put to groovy music, the viewer emerging feeling dirtied rather than entertained."
A bit harsh, I feel, although I agree with the book's opinion that it is typical of the problem we frequently encounter in the Avengers colour era: "The Avengers trying too hard to be itself."