The WORST Episode

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Strange Young Man
Little Wonder

Re: good points

Post by Strange Young Man »

Frankymole wrote:
mousemeat wrote: I don't have a problem with the chopper scene....I do have issues with Emma running out inna open field, where she was spotted and caught by that whirly bird...how dumb was that ? bordering on Tara-ville..
Tara would never be that stupid. I've just watched "Who Was That Man I Saw You With?" and Tara, out to clear her name, proves far more clever and devious than even Steed and the rest of the Department... let's not start a "Tara versus Emma" argument again, please. Murdersville just wrote Emma poorly.
She would've been had the script required it. You're right- that part is a poorly written excuse to allow her to get captured by the helicopter. I do like the episode, though, depite one or two daft moments.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Strange Young Man wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
mousemeat wrote: I don't have a problem with the chopper scene....I do have issues with Emma running out inna open field, where she was spotted and caught by that whirly bird...how dumb was that ? bordering on Tara-ville..
Tara would never be that stupid. I've just watched "Who Was That Man I Saw You With?" and Tara, out to clear her name, proves far more clever and devious than even Steed and the rest of the Department... let's not start a "Tara versus Emma" argument again, please. Murdersville just wrote Emma poorly.
She would've been had the script required it. You're right- that part is a poorly written excuse to allow her to get captured by the helicopter. I do like the episode, though, depite one or two daft moments.

Yes, I love 'Murdersville' too - I don't care about daft moments either! I like that scene in the fields with the helicopter. Diana looks wunderbar!
moorlock2003
Thingumajig

Post by moorlock2003 »

Frankymole wrote:
moorlock2003 wrote: Geez, so angry. Relax. Diana Rigg went along with the costume in "A Touch of Brimstone" so I don't think it was a lapse in judgement.
Went along with it? She designed it!
OK, proving my point. The costume caused a sensation, so much so that the whipping scene was edited down considerably, and I believe the episode wasn't shown at all in the UK, or do I have my facts wrong?
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

moorlock2003 wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
moorlock2003 wrote: Geez, so angry. Relax. Diana Rigg went along with the costume in "A Touch of Brimstone" so I don't think it was a lapse in judgement.
Went along with it? She designed it!
OK, proving my point. The costume caused a sensation, so much so that the whipping scene was edited down considerably, and I believe the episode wasn't shown at all in the UK, or do I have my facts wrong?
No, it wasn't shown in the US.

Did Diana really design that outfit? Or was this another 'Patrick designs his suits and writes Avengers novels' fib.
moorlock2003
Thingumajig

Post by moorlock2003 »

kim wrote:From the Emma era mine is Who's Who. I just can't stand that episode. It bores me to tears.

From the Tara era, it is Thingamajug and Invasion of the Earthmen. Both were horribly dull episodes and I completely avoid them. Tara fan that I am, I found nothing redeamable in them. All the others I can find something to like even just a little bit.

From TNA, it has to be Gnaws and Gladiators. There is one more, but I can't think of the title right now. But those two episodes make me cringe and it's not likely I'll ever watch them again to find something to like about them.
"Who's Who" doesn't bore me; it's just disconcerting seeing Macnee and Rigg acting deviously. The episode was a bit too far-fetched. From Season 5, I like "The Correct Way To Kill" with Michael Gough, great in "The Cybernauts" as well. I can see how new viewers, if they were first exposed to the series via the colour Emmas, might be turned off to the show. Some of them were on the silly side.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I'm not sure that many of the episodes, post series 3, warrant analysis re plot realism etc. It's what makes The Cybernauts so satisfactory, that everything fits neatly in terms of storyline. As to the 'silly' episodes, again it is a matter of taste. I prefer the more sensible stories but rarely is there a plausible script, the show had moved into a more surreal Avengersland.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

evolution of the show

Post by mousemeat »

Rodney wrote:I'm not sure that many of the episodes, post series 3, warrant analysis re plot realism etc. It's what makes The Cybernauts so satisfactory, that everything fits neatly in terms of storyline. As to the 'silly' episodes, again it is a matter of taste. I prefer the more sensible stories but rarely is there a plausible script, the show had moved into a more surreal Avengersland.
good points, as the show was changing...starting with the gritty feel of the Keel era, thru Gale, and then the Peel monochromes...It walked a weird line between fantasy and reality...heh heh heh..on the flip, perhaps the colour eps were influenced greatly by the american studio, ABC who wanted more bang for their buck..maybe not..it might just have been the input by Clemons..tapping into the swinging mod 60's...
Whiskers
Winged Avenger

Post by Whiskers »

DiVicenzo wrote:
Strange Young Man wrote:
Frankymole wrote:Tara would never be that stupid. I've just watched "Who Was That Man I Saw You With?" and Tara, out to clear her name, proves far more clever and devious than even Steed and the rest of the Department... let's not start a "Tara versus Emma" argument again, please. Murdersville just wrote Emma poorly.

Yes, I love 'Murdersville' too - I don't care about daft moments either! I like that scene in the fields with the helicopter. Diana looks wunderbar!
The chopper scene has never bothered me. I assumed, as she would have, that the rest of the villagers are following on foot. So she would have to keep moving.
Courier13
Thingumajig

Post by Courier13 »

moorlock2003 wrote:"The Joker" of course was a remake of the Cathy Gale episode "Don't Look Behind You", which I think was better.
I've finally come around to seeing Don't Look Behind You and it's not very good, I'm afraid. The remake is obviously better (even though 80% of the script is the same), but I really was shocked to see it. Bad editing (and I know nothing about editing!), some kind of The Fonz character (EEEEEEEEE), and a Clarke Gable-like German :shock:

Even Honor, whom I normally adore, was not on the top of her game (the scene at the dinner table near the end is akwardly acted sideways by her).
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

Courier13 wrote:
moorlock2003 wrote:"The Joker" of course was a remake of the Cathy Gale episode "Don't Look Behind You", which I think was better.
I've finally come around to seeing Don't Look Behind You and it's not very good, I'm afraid. The remake is obviously better (even though 80% of the script is the same), but I really was shocked to see it. Bad editing (and I know nothing about editing!), some kind of The Fonz character (EEEEEEEEE), and a Clarke Gable-like German :shock:

Even Honor, whom I normally adore, was not on the top of her game (the scene at the dinner table near the end is akwardly acted sideways by her).
So funny how everybody seems to have different preferences, and that everybody sees completely different things in certain episodes.

Personally I thought 'Don't Look Behind You' was a terrific episode, better than 'The Joker'. I thought Honor's performance was absolutely fantastic. Mind you, I thought 'The Joker' was a great episode too.