Emma Peel's Best Fight?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Tara tends to use the object around her during fights, always a handy paper tray on a desk.

She's uses Karate in All Done With Mirrors though doesn't she..? With a few judo throws. Superb fight that one.

I think Tara had some of the best fights, love the fight in the optics room in My Wildest Dream.
norw27
Little Wonder

Post by norw27 »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Someone should start a conspiracy theory why Diana gets a couple of good fights in The Forget-Me-Knot while poor Linda has only the brick-in-the-handbag gag.

I was idly looking up YouTube vids where Brian (pants on fire) Clemens himself says he thought up the whole idea that Tara's fighting technique should be less karate and more handbag - "years before Margaret Thatcher".
Ugh, thank god the handbag gag didn't continue! I love the majority of Tara's fights, although I think she got a rougher ride off the villains than Mrs Peel did.
lostntime
Nutshell

Post by lostntime »

I wouldn't say it's the best but the most interesting Emma fight sequence IMO is against Steed in the rather fantastical Man Eater From Surrey Green.

I'd agree and say that Emma's most stylistic fight sequences were in Death At Bargain Prices. They had the most flair, especially when Diana is snapping her fingers while uttering "give me the gun".
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

norw27 wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Someone should start a conspiracy theory why Diana gets a couple of good fights in The Forget-Me-Knot while poor Linda has only the brick-in-the-handbag gag.

I was idly looking up YouTube vids where Brian (pants on fire) Clemens himself says he thought up the whole idea that Tara's fighting technique should be less karate and more handbag - "years before Margaret Thatcher".
Ugh, thank god the handbag gag didn't continue! I love the majority of Tara's fights, although I think she got a rougher ride off the villains than Mrs Peel did.
Tara and the "brick in the handbag" was just a gag. It was meant for a giggle. As we all know she got very physical as the series progressed. Quite a fighter, in fact.
MRotten

Post by MRotten »

lostntime wrote:I wouldn't say it's the best but the most interesting Emma fight sequence IMO is against Steed in the rather fantastical Man Eater From Surrey Green.

I'd agree and say that Emma's most stylistic fight sequences were in Death At Bargain Prices. They had the most flair, especially when Diana is snapping her fingers while uttering "give me the gun".
I agree. Her most memorable fight was in "Death at Bargain Prices". She really had such panache in that one.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Never mind all the martial-arts stuff, there's also fencing. Emma's pretty good in "The Correct Way to Kill", whoever's playing her! (Presumably Cyd Child doubling for her, but when Olga is fighting as well, there must've been two doubles - unless Anna Quayle is a good fencer).
Last watched: "Concerto"
lostntime
Nutshell

Post by lostntime »

Frankymole wrote:Never mind all the martial-arts stuff, there's also fencing. Emma's pretty good in "The Correct Way to Kill", whoever's playing her! (Presumably Cyd Child doubling for her, but when Olga is fighting as well, there must've been two doubles - unless Anna Quayle is a good fencer).
Then there's the rather entertaining and playful fencing with Steed in Diana's debut episode of The Town Of No Return.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Her battle with McNab above the staircase in Castle De'ath is one of my favourites. (An enjoyable episode all round).
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Emma gives a couple of good punches at the top of some stairs in the gymnasium from The Master Minds before Billy Westley takes over for the sihoutte fight with Holly Trent (bit of a cop out, that).
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
MRotten

Post by MRotten »

We've been through this discussion about stunt doubles already. Can we move on? We know the show used them. What is the point of naming stunt doubles in every scene? It is not a "cop out" to use a stunt double. They were used frequently in the filmed series. Enough said.