Has there ever been... an Avengers Con?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote: You mean The Avengers by Toby Miller. And it is terribly dry and overly academic (you can overanalyze things, kids. True, the leather thing did evolve, but it originated for practical purposes, i.e. Honor's pants kept splitting open in fight scenes, something Gareth would also have trouble with 15 odd years later!). And it's incredibly error-ridden. If you're going to make a case for Steed and Dr. Keel and King having something going on, it might help if you supported it with episodes actually featuring one of those characters, and not Cathy Gale! :roll:
The only Avengers (non-fiction) book I wasn't able to finish. Nice cover though...

Oh, I finished it. Now whether or not that was a good thing...
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

Congratulations. I couldn't get past the 1st page !!
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

If what is said about it on the Avengers Forever site, I doubt I'd ever even want to touch it, much less read it. If you work in a library like I do, the last thing you want to see is yet another book trying to "prove" some fun series was secretly about this or that, or there were secret symbolic relationships in the series, or whatever.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Unfortunately, while The Avengers is a show worthy of an academic study all too often academics over-analyse. Let's face it - although I prefer the more intelligent plots - we all know that the show is about entertaining the viewers, first and foremost. A decent Avengers get together would be great. I would be happy to provide the setting - I still own three cottages and a pool in rural France - if anyone ever fancied a long weekend of Avengers chat. I could even arrange my father to be there for a question and answer session. Alternatively, we could arrange a similar get together in London. It would be great to meet up with fellow Avengers fans.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

That's a nice idea Rodney. Now if we could just try and persuade Honor, Joanna and a couple of other guys to join us for a chat and light refreshments what a weekend that would be!
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I could certainly organise Don Leaver and Gerry O'Hara as directors, my father as writer...but that is as far as my 'connections' go I'm afraid.
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

Rodney wrote:Unfortunately, while The Avengers is a show worthy of an academic study all too often academics over-analyse. Let's face it - although I prefer the more intelligent plots - we all know that the show is about entertaining the viewers, first and foremost. A decent Avengers get together would be great. I would be happy to provide the setting - I still own three cottages and a pool in rural France - if anyone ever fancied a long weekend of Avengers chat. I could even arrange my father to be there for a question and answer session. Alternatively, we could arrange a similar get together in London. It would be great to meet up with fellow Avengers fans.

I'm in! :D
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

Rodney wrote:I could certainly organise Don Leaver and Gerry O'Hara as directors, my father as writer...but that is as far as my 'connections' go I'm afraid.

Well, Dame Diana has a house in Mauvezin 'D'Armagnac - are you anywhere near there? Not that she would be interested :?
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

DiVicenzo wrote:
Rodney wrote:Unfortunately, while The Avengers is a show worthy of an academic study all too often academics over-analyse. Let's face it - although I prefer the more intelligent plots - we all know that the show is about entertaining the viewers, first and foremost. A decent Avengers get together would be great. I would be happy to provide the setting - I still own three cottages and a pool in rural France - if anyone ever fancied a long weekend of Avengers chat. I could even arrange my father to be there for a question and answer session. Alternatively, we could arrange a similar get together in London. It would be great to meet up with fellow Avengers fans.

I'm in! :D
Me too! (that is if I can afford the journey of course..)
ricardomartins
Thingumajig

Post by ricardomartins »

I'm in too!

If we could get Honor and Joanna that would be the best weekend of my entire life. :D :D :D