The Hour that Never Was

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

It wasn't changed because the production team felt strongly that ABC should not be intefering with or censoring the show's contents. Fair play to them.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Rodney wrote:It wasn't changed because the production team felt strongly that ABC should not be intefering with or censoring the show's contents. Fair play to them.
sounds about right to me...a fine line to tread on..
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Post by waldotyson »

I love this episode because the first time I watched it- everything was such a mystery. I didn't even know what the sound of the milk float was- I surmised it might be a generator or something starting up and causing strange EMF fields that were causing people to disappear. Laurie Johnson's music seems tailor made for this episode- that's another good fit. Even subsequent viewings the episode just keeps a haunted feel to it because of the emptiness of having nobody else around and such large open spaces.
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."
helenofirvine
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by helenofirvine »

In the words of Stephen Colbert,

"The Hour That Never Was"; great episode, or greatest episode ever?

;)
Courier13
Thingumajig

Re: The Hour that Never Was

Post by Courier13 »

Rodney wrote:It would interest both me and my father to know what it is about this particular episode which Avengers fans love so much.
Probably something which I don't get. The atmosphere is the only real draw here (imho), as the script and the villains are quite bland (for the standard of The Avengers). It felt really gimmicky and I still don't understand what they did to Steed (or why??).......apart from the fact that this plot contrivance was needed to get the gimmick rolling.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

mousemeat wrote:
Rodney wrote:It wasn't changed because the production team felt strongly that ABC should not be intefering with or censoring the show's contents. Fair play to them.
sounds about right to me...a fine line to tread on..
overall, one of the best monochrome episodes, ever...add to the mix,
the music...a well done pkg....in my opinion
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote:I think of all the episodes this is the most atmospheric. I think the reason it intrigues such a lot of fans is that on first viewing you're never really sure what is happening. I remember thinking it must have been a dream when Steed woke up in his Bentley. Then he finds the tramp, sadly deceased, and you're left wondering again. I have said The Cybernauts was the epitome of The Avengers. The same can be said of this one. A deserted landscape with the minimum of characters instantly conjures up Avengerland, and none do it better than this one. This episode has everything I want from The Avengers. Great script, great location, witty dialogue, equal measure of Steed and Emma, and an equal measure of humour and darkness. It is more than just a tv episode. It plays like a mini movie. If only all episodes were of this calibre. I rate this the 3rd best episode of all, behind Cybernauts and Xmas trees. 11/10!
I agree, apart from Cybernauts being better, obv. I also think Gerald Harper gave as superb a performance as Roy Kinnear. It's not only well-written and well-paced, giving the mystery time to breathe and expand, but superbly directed as well.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

helenofirvine wrote:In the words of Stephen Colbert,

"The Hour That Never Was"; great episode, or greatest episode ever?

;)
For now I'll say great episode. I haven't seen all episodes yet so I can't say if it's the best ever. But it's definitely one of the best :D