Avengers director's cut ?

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

I'll put the trailers (with missing scenes, the reconstruction of the first scene used in the first version) here tomorrow.
I had put them on the former forum, but it's dead now. :(
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Well, I decide to re-put all the videos that I had shown you on the former forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbdbFUhJUQw
Here you can see the entire reconstruction of the first scene that we could see in the first version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yc0PddTbfY
this is the trailer of the movie.
Enjoy !

And the other trailer of the motion picture that we could see in France : http://www.cinemovies.fr/fiche_multimed ... film=10075
Notice : we have few moments which come from the first scene in which the false Emma destroyed Prospero.
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

Interesting videos! It's too bad that the first scene was cut from the movie. Thanks for the links. :)
Allen
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

I'll put the link for the petition tonight ! :D
moorlock2003
Thingumajig

Post by moorlock2003 »

The Avengers movie? Rubbish, plain and simple. It baffles me how anyone who loves the series could be pleased with the film. Apart from a few interesting visuals, there is nothing to like. When Eddie Izzard yelled a four-letter word, that clinched it. That film was not The Avengers.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

moorlock2003 wrote:The Avengers movie? Rubbish, plain and simple. It baffles me how anyone who loves the series could be pleased with the film. Apart from a few interesting visuals, there is nothing to like. When Eddie Izzard yelled a four-letter word, that clinched it. That film was not The Avengers.
Yes, that was the final straw too I think.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Horatio Kane
Nutshell

Post by Horatio Kane »

Director's Cut A.S.A.P.!
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

moorlock2003 wrote:The Avengers movie? Rubbish, plain and simple. It baffles me how anyone who loves the series could be pleased with the film.
Not that plain, not that simple. And be baffled then ..... because, pleased with it ! I absolutely love it, I only wish they'd made a sequel :D But then I'm not anyone, I'm someone :lol:
moorlock2003 wrote: When Eddie Izzard yelled a four-letter word, that clinched it.
Oh for me too, said with such a crystal cut English accent, it makes me roar with laughter every time. Totally out of place, totally unexpected, but still strangely fitting in a bizarre, unnecessary sort of way :?
moorlock2003 wrote: That film was not The Avengers.
Mmmm, unusual name to give it then :?:
Oliver Twist
Nutshell

Re: casting

Post by Oliver Twist »

mousemeat wrote:
The film did have it's moments...Overall, I think the casting was wrong.
Ralph & Uma missed their marks...Connery was marginal..
I've only really seen the trailer - but you can discern quite a lot from a trailer if you watch it closely enough.

The problems, as I perceived them, were severalfold. Firstly, yes, the casting. Steed, as I'm sure you know, is actually quite a cheerful and humourous fellow (albeit with an edge). But Ralph Fiennes, it struck me, played him as a po-faced bore. That was a big mistake. Also, the suit he was wearing was totally wrong. As I'm sure you remember, Steed is quite a stylish dresser in a really quite contemporary mode - think of the colour of the suits...think of the nipped-in waists and the (occasionally suede) chelsea boots with the elasticated sides. Whereas the suit that Fiennes wore was a very conservative, dark blue, straight-up-and-down city suit. Not really Steed at all.

I like Uma Thurman - at least I liked her in Pulp Fiction - but she, again, was hopelessly miscast as Emma Peel. The jumpsuit she wore (at least in the trailer) was all big-bum-and-big-tits and hopelessly over-designed, as opposed to being economical and stylish (as I think it should have been).

In fact the whole film (and, again, I am only drawing my opinions from having seen the trailer) has a completely overblown and overstated look to it....the sound and the fury signifying, if not nothing, then at least very little.

I was toying with idea of watching the film (because, as you know, it can be picked up very cheaply) but I found the trailer - for the reasons already stated - put me right off.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Ralph Fiennes's suit - the pin-stripe - was based on the type Steed wore in the Cathy Gale episodes I think. The bowler was a HUGE mistake and made him look like Stan Laurel.

Uma Thurman's outfits weren't too bad EXCEPT the leather suit, which made her look like some kind of Bat-woman rather than anything Emma Peel wore in the show. The cullots were reminicent of Tara King. The wig showed her commitment to the role - that she couldn't even be bothered to dye her hair auburn.

I seem to be really slating the movie and I don't mean too. Especially when there are people on this forum that passionately enjoy the film.

It's just a dumb remake - made at a time when there were a lot of dumb remakes: Lost In Space, the Saint, etc - and no more part of The Avengers than those other remakes were of their original shows.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY