Linda Thorson

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

She and Pat were given amphetamines - Speed. It's a class B drug in the UK now, but was 'acceptable' then...

This was not new. Amphetamines, as well as barbiturates were habitually given to young film stars in Hollywood to take before bed. Judy Garland is the most famous example. This regular dose of drugs led to addiction and a lifelong struggle, and contributed to her eventual demise.

Linda and Patrick were lucky...

Last edited by Dandy Forsdyke on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

^oh wow that's really.......serious. Not something to be taken lightly.
I mean, I know they were a bit more easy going with that sort of stuff back in the 60's, but amphetamines is not just something..
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

Yeah, that was serious. I didn't even know they took those drugs but I'm glad nothing bad happened to them.
Allen
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:She and Pat were given amphetamines - Speed. It's a class B drug in the UK now, but was 'acceptable' then...

This was not new. Amphetamines, as well as barbiturates were habitually given to young film stars in Hollywood to take before bed. Judy Garland is the most famous example. This regular dose of drugs led to addiction and a lifelong struggle, and contributed to her eventual demise.

Patrick and Linda were both on them while they were shootign the show. They used to have wonderful sped up conversations in make-up, because as the hairdresser told Patrick, no one else could talk fast enough to get a word in edgewise. Eventually Patrick recommended some to a friend, who went temporarily blind driving home and had to pull over until her sight returned. I believe that's when he and Linda dumped them. Nice , eh? :?
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

On the PURR website there is a video clip of Linda Thorson in the 1977 movie Valentino. I've never seen the movie and sadly, the DVD is only available through Amazon in the UK. From what little I've been able to find on it, the movie wasn't that great, but in the clip, Linda is using an accent that is almost hilarious. To my ears it sounds like a cross between a Southern belle and a Brooklynite.

If anyone has seen it or intends to get the dvd, let me know what you think of the movie. I don't have a multi-regional player so I'm going to have to wait for it to appear in the US, but I'd like to know what you think of it.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

kim wrote:On the PURR website there is a video clip of Linda Thorson in the 1977 movie Valentino. I've never seen the movie and sadly, the DVD is only available through Amazon in the UK. From what little I've been able to find on it, the movie wasn't that great, but in the clip, Linda is using an accent that is almost hilarious. To my ears it sounds like a cross between a Southern belle and a Brooklynite.

If anyone has seen it or intends to get the dvd, let me know what you think of the movie. I don't have a multi-regional player so I'm going to have to wait for it to appear in the US, but I'd like to know what you think of it.
I watched that clip, too. Linda's accent was pretty dodgy. If you poke elsewhere around the site, you'll also find Gareth with an American accent (man, that's weird to listen to), and Joanna playing it French. Why you'd go to the trouble of getting British actors and then nixing their accents is beyond me (although they are good, so I don't blame them on that front).

Ironically, I recently acquired some old fanzines, and they were mentioning that Linda was in Valentino, so the clip was good timing on that front. Don't despair about not having a region-free player--you might not need one. Most players are exteremely easy to hack. Mine's a fairly old model, and just this past summer I bought the Life on Mars region 2 DVDs and tested the hack on the player with them. Worked great. All you have to do is find your player's model number and google it with "region-free hack" or some such. Mine consists of pressing two buttons after I put the disc in. Pretty quick and easy (minus the time I spend laughing maniacally and gloating in the general direction of the publishers who use the system to play with the DVD pricing schemes. I'm watching Randall and Hopkirk anyway! Ha ha!)

Ahem.

kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
kim wrote:On the PURR website there is a video clip of Linda Thorson in the 1977 movie Valentino. I've never seen the movie and sadly, the DVD is only available through Amazon in the UK. From what little I've been able to find on it, the movie wasn't that great, but in the clip, Linda is using an accent that is almost hilarious. To my ears it sounds like a cross between a Southern belle and a Brooklynite.

I watched that clip, too. Linda's accent was pretty dodgy. If you poke elsewhere around the site, you'll also find Gareth with an American accent (man, that's weird to listen to), and Joanna playing it French. Why you'd go to the trouble of getting British actors and then nixing their accents is beyond me (although they are good, so I don't blame them on that front).

Ironically, I recently acquired some old fanzines, and they were mentioning that Linda was in Valentino, so the clip was good timing on that front. Don't despair about not having a region-free player--you might not need one. Most players are exteremely easy to hack. Mine's a fairly old model, and just this past summer I bought the Life on Mars region 2 DVDs and tested the hack on the player with them. Worked great. All you have to do is find your player's model number and google it with "region-free hack" or some such. Mine consists of pressing two buttons after I put the disc in. Pretty quick and easy (minus the time I spend laughing maniacally and gloating in the general direction of the publishers who use the system to play with the DVD pricing schemes. I'm watching Randall and Hopkirk anyway! Ha ha!)

Ahem.
Linda usually does a great American accent, most likely because it's not too far off from a Canadian one, but this time around it sounded like she was trying to combine two accents into one.

Being electronically challanged, I'll have to see if Rob can tell if we can play the dvd on one of our players. He also has a 360 that once it is fixed (something that annoys me to no end when I think of how much I paid for that stupid thing just to have it go out one week after the warranty ran out!) and maybe it can play region two dvds. I don't want to put out the money (will Amazon UK ship to the US?) if I can't play it.

Thanks for the info Timeless. Will have to see if it works.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

kim wrote:Linda usually does a great American accent, most likely because it's not too far off from a Canadian one, but this time around it sounded like she was trying to combine two accents into one.

Being electronically challanged, I'll have to see if Rob can tell if we can play the dvd on one of our players. He also has a 360 that once it is fixed (something that annoys me to no end when I think of how much I paid for that stupid thing just to have it go out one week after the warranty ran out!) and maybe it can play region two dvds. I don't want to put out the money (will Amazon UK ship to the US?) if I can't play it.

Thanks for the info Timeless. Will have to see if it works.
Linda admits herself that her Canadian accent is pretty much all gone after her years at RADA, so I always find her American/Canadian sounds rather put on, while Tara sounds just fine to my ear. She also did a good Scots one on Emily of New Moon.

It's pretty easy to google a hack for your player, so give it a shot. Amazon UK ships to Canada (where do you think I got my current batch of Ashes to Ashes/Randall and Hopkirk/The Champions/Adam Adamant et al?), so I can't imagine they wouldn't do the same to the States. Some consoles can play all regions as well, and laptops and computers can be switched between regions a limited number of times before locking. If I can help somehow, let me know! Hacking my player opened me up to a whole new bunch of shows I wouldn't ever have seen otherwise.

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

how true

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:She and Pat were given amphetamines - Speed. It's a class B drug in the UK now, but was 'acceptable' then...

Both were very lucky to escape the fate of people like Judy Garland..
(who died in the UK in 1969, totally burned out at 45 )

Durning her tenure at MGM, she took stuff to lose weight, go to sleep,
wake up...chemically, she was a mess....

I remember reading about Linda being sent to a 'fat' farm to lose some weight...and Patrick did seem to pack on a few pounds around the time of the last season.....
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

his new sideburns - which did not suit him - must have added a couple of pounds.