The Avengers dvd set 3 (series 4) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

mike654
White Dwarf

Post by mike654 »

I bought it in July 2010
Sorry to keep moaning about this but, looked at episodes on other discs and still happens but not so often as the house that jack built.

the top of the picture is distorted on the first frame of scene changes.

Have you watched The House That Jack Built Frankymole on disc 6

If you say yours is ok, then I will have to accept that I have been unlucky with a bad set.
Optimum have been good replacing these discs but we have paid alot of money for this.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I only ordered series 4 a few days ago - I was waiting for a price drop as well as confirmation that Optimum's own stock was error-free (they trade as Cavalcade of DVDs on Amazon). When it arrives I will check the disks you mention. In the meantime, it will be worth mentioning these faults on Roobarb's DVD Forum to see if others have them (or can check their sets) - it is the forum where most of the other boxes' faults were first found/reported. I will ask there.
Last watched: "Concerto"
mike654
White Dwarf

Post by mike654 »

Thanks Frankymole - the picture restoration is brilliant otherwise but I just need to find out if it is just my set. Its too late to send back to amazon uk.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I ordered from Cavalcade last week. The series 4 set has just arrived.

There is no "Version 2" printed on the disk non-playable side/"label". I've tried to read the tiniest writing around the edge and it doesn't look any different to the other disks.

"The Gravediggers" has the sound-synch problem and disk 7 is also faulty.

What the hell is going on? I thought it had been confirmed that Cavalcade / Optimum had checked and replaced their stock?

I am extremely angry - both at the hassle now required to get another set, at the waste of money (not least for further postage), and at the claims on some forums that Cavalcade / Optimum had replaced their

stock. They haven't - that's untrue. Buyer beware - I shall be writing a review for Amazon saying that this is still the case.

Cavalcade/Optimum are now deliberately selling uncorrected sets whilst being aware of the faults - that's verging on fraudulent trading.

Here's my first volley. Next call, the CC company...

To Optimum "Cavalcade of DVDs": "Unfortunately the box set supplied has the infamous disk faults (disk 3, episode "The Gravediggers", sound out of synchronisation. Disk 7, "Strange Case of Missing Corpse" extra has encoding errors causing picture breakup). These are not the Version 2 corrected disks - they are not marked with a version number. Why is this defective stock being sold? It was meant to be removed from your stock and replaced with the correct versions long ago. Please send me the correct set."

To Amazon: "Please do NOT allow a charge my credit card for this item - despite being aware of defects in the original product, the vendor has supplied the wrong/defective items instead of its repaired "version 2". As this has been done with full awareness of the problems, I view this as a fraudulent attempt to get money and you must not participate in charging it to my credit card company."

Don't see why I should be charged for knowingly defective goods. They can take payment when I get what I ordered.
Last edited by Frankymole on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike654
White Dwarf

Post by mike654 »

Sorry to hear that Frankymole, can you send it back and get refund?
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

mike654 wrote:Sorry to hear that Frankymole, can you send it back and get refund?
I'm only going to do that if I don't have to pay for the postage - I await Optimum's reply. I had to shell out to get a fixed series 2, I'm damned if I'm going to do it again. They've known of this problem for well over 6 months, they should've checked they weren't selling defective stock by now.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

It's been reported there may be another sound synch problem on another episode in the set; and also that "The Hour That Never Was" has a freezing/stutter problem early on when Emma gets out of the car.

So there are potentially two problems on the S4 set which haven't been fixed, and two which have. I think I'll just ask for a refund and stick to my Contender set. It's really not worth the angst.

Presumably, as they have not bothered to fix "Legacy of Death" either, the "complete" box set in May will be replete with errors (and cost a bomb).

Pathetic shoddy effort by Optimum, a shame after all the good work done by Jaz and Alan and co.
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Frankymole wrote:I There is no "Version 2" printed on the disk non-playable side/"label". I've tried to read the tiniest writing around the edge and it doesn't look any different to the other disks.
Quite strange. I bought it last december and the first thing I checked was that 'version 2' was mentioned on both dics.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:It's been reported there may be another sound synch problem on another episode in the set; and also that "The Hour That Never Was" has a freezing/stutter problem early on when Emma gets out of the car.

So there are potentially two problems on the S4 set which haven't been fixed, and two which have. I think I'll just ask for a refund and stick to my Contender set. It's really not worth the angst.

Presumably, as they have not bothered to fix "Legacy of Death" either, the "complete" box set in May will be replete with errors (and cost a bomb).

Pathetic shoddy effort by Optimum, a shame after all the good work done by Jaz and Alan and co.
gosh, I hate hearing about stuff like this....hopefully, it'll be worked out. Keep us in the
loop, Frankymole..

don't understand why companies engage in crap like this...(sigh)
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Frankymole wrote:So there are potentially two problems on the S4 set which haven't been fixed, and two which have. I think I'll just ask for a refund and stick to my Contender set. It's really not worth the angst.
The two problems fixed are The Gravediggers and what is the other one ?
The two problems unfixed are the freezing on The Hour That Never Was. What's the other one ?