The Avengers - A 50th Anniversary Celebration

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

I did some online research. While there doesn't seem to be any available exact info about the US Nielson ratings for the Avengers, there is some data for average ratings for programs in general of that time period.

for the 1960s there are listings of the top 25 ranking shows for each US season. The Avengers never appears on these lists. Get Smart and Man From Uncle during the mid-60s do make the list along with Bewitched and the first season Batman. The latter 2 shows were also on ABC

The most revealing thing which no one ever seems to notice or notes concerns Laugh-In. For the 1968-69 season, Laugh-IN was indeed the Number 1 show in the US. It was in its second year. The previous season it was ranked number 21!

From its 1st season to its 2nd it jumped 20 spots and increased its audience by almost 50%.

Taking that into account it doesn't seem so bizarre to have scheduled the Avengers against it. It seems more likely it was designed as a counter-programming move. Who would have expected in 1968 for Laugh-In to have such a massive ratings surge. It's almost unheard of.
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Linda had said that she took it as a "back-handed compliment" that The Avengers went up against Laugh-In. I agree; Laugh-In dates badly, as most of the comedy was topical and of the "now" variety. It certainly was a colourful show to watch, but much of the humour falls flat 40+ years after the fact.
bramford
Thingumajig

Post by bramford »

I recently watched Laugh-In on DVD and was hugely disappointed. Terribly unfunny show that relied heavily on catch-phrases to get laughs. Perhaps you had to grow up with it to appreciate it but it's hard to believe this was once the number one rated television show in America. The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour on the other hand is still funny today.
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

Not that I want to encourage hijacking the thread, but the Smothers Bros show actually did decent for itself. It was in the top 20 and won an emmy for writing but the show was considered too subversive at the time

anyway any more cool follow ups about the celebrations. It would be nice if there's more posted video from the event for those of us too far and too poor
MRotten

Post by MRotten »

bramford wrote:I recently watched Laugh-In on DVD and was hugely disappointed. Terribly unfunny show that relied heavily on catch-phrases to get laughs. Perhaps you had to grow up with it to appreciate it but it's hard to believe this was once the number one rated television show in America. The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour on the other hand is still funny today.
I agree; Laugh-In is a dud of a show watching it now. I was very disappointed over the DVD releases of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. Great guests such as Agnes Moorehead and musical guests like The Hollies and The Bee Gees are missing. The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour featured humour with a political bent, and the CBS Network wasn't too happy about it. It, too, may be dated but at least it's still funny; Pat Paulsen in particular was a riot, claiming to be running for President.
ischtar

Post by ischtar »

I just returned from England yesterday - but I should have stayed longer...

:D

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/pass ... at-50.html
Shanet
Nutshell

Post by Shanet »

Some of Paul Wyatt's showreels have been posted on his vimeo account

http://vimeo.com/pauljwyatt

No sign of the Thorson one though.
**In a world full of caterpillars it takes guts to be a butterfly**
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Shanet wrote:Some of Paul Wyatt's showreels have been posted on his vimeo account

Season 5 !!! :D
The 'Golden era'.
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
bhdaviesuk
Thingumajig

Post by bhdaviesuk »

Shanet wrote:Some of Paul Wyatt's showreels have been posted on his vimeo account

Thanks for the link. :)
--
Barbara
MLP*
Thingumajig

Post by MLP* »

Another Avengers event in Chichester.

http://www.chichestercinema.org/film/1212/THE-AVENGERS

Slightly smaller scale this time. :)