Did They or Didn't They?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Re: STEDDI

Post by Dan »

Dfrise wrote:
Rodders wrote:My own belief is that Steed and Mrs. Peel never had sex. That was made quite clear in meetings between writers/production team early on during Season 4. They find each other physically attractive, and are acutely aware that others find them attractive. There are even twinges of jealousy, e.g. Return of the Cybernauts. Clemens says that they had been lovers but contrary to his own ego he is not Mr Avengers, or wasn't at that stage anyway. Sex would have ruined their beautiful relationship.
And yet there was at least one episode where Emma just shows up at Steeds place, late at night with a bottle of wine or champagne in hand. Not the usual behaviour for an uninvolved woman.

At the end of The Forget-Me-Knot the amnesiac Emma turns to Steed and asks, "Are you the man who..." then she whispers the rest of the question in his ear. He replies, "I'm afraid so." Methinks she's whispering because of the subject matter.
And:

Emma: "You know my wavelength." Steed: "I do indeed." from Death's Door.

That exchange simply doesn't make sense unless they were lovers.

There are many other similar exchanges, and also many that could be cited as indications that they were not lovers. It's open to interpretation, but I like to believe they were. Actually, it seems impossible to me that they weren't.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Re: STEDDI

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Dan wrote:
And:

Emma: "You know my wavelength." Steed: "I do indeed." from Death's Door.

That exchange simply doesn't make sense unless they were lovers.

There are many other similar exchanges, and also many that could be cited as indications that they were not lovers. It's open to interpretation, but I like to believe they were. Actually, it seems impossible to me that they weren't.
And yet he almost always called her "Mrs Peel" even when they were alone.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

I've always thought the possibility of them 'doing it' & still using that formal address was...to put it colloquially.... ' hot'.

Maybe they thought so, too? :wink:
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
lotsofbrolly
Nutshell

Post by lotsofbrolly »

I believe he called her only "Mrs Peel" as a cover in front of their enemies. Did he always call Mrs Gale by her formal name? He called always called Tara by her first name. Saying that though, he did call her "Emma" in TFMK. I believe he always called her by her formal name out of respect, and being the gentleman that he was.

Just because we only see him call her Mrs Peel doesn't mean that they "weren't" sleeping together!! As my friends and I over at Tumblr have always said. If it wasn't for the dreaded "fade out" we would probably see them kiss in every episode ;-) (Just saying).

Lotsofbrolly

Anne xxx
Please visit my tumblr page:

http://lotsofbrolly.tumblr.com/

The Avengers - everything Steed and Mrs Peel.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

The exchange regarding the four-poster bed in "Too Many Christmas trees" leads me to think they weren't sleeping together - yet.

Certainly that they weren't in the phase after a torrid sexual relationship as Brian Clemens claims. Or did they just avoid four-posters all the time?
Last watched: "Concerto"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:The exchange regarding the four-poster bed in "Too Many Christmas trees" leads me to think they weren't sleeping together - yet.

Certainly that they weren't in the phase after a torrid sexual relationship as Brian Clemens claims. Or did they just avoid four-posters all the time?
Clemens knew how to stroke the fires...etc....LOL
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Isn't the chat-up before the "bedding" more interesting?

I think most of the 65-66 Avengers writers picked up on that.

Though Rodney can give the conclusive view!
Last watched: "Concerto"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Isn't the chat-up before the "bedding" more interesting?

I think most of the 65-66 Avengers writers picked up on that.

Though Rodney can give the conclusive view!
verbal fore play..lol
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

So Steed calls Emma "Mrs Peel" even in private, just in case the enemy is somehow listening in? He must be the most paranoid agent at the ministry. Indeed, that being so, how do they ever get together for a bit of 'how's your father'?

The Avengers may have been filmed in the 60's but it wasn't really 'swinging'. It would satirise it, rather than be part of it, and it gave equal measure to the 'Establishment' for balance. When I look at the chemistry between Steed and Cathy I see a lot of Tracy and Hepburn, whilst Steed and Emma were more like Nick and Nora Charles.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY