Rare Photos

The place to post and discuss photos from the series and play Avengers games.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Early1970s at a guess? Based on hairstyle. Might be late 60s, just after the Bond movie perhaps. Probably pre-Theatre of Blood.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Brugeoise
Thingumajig

Post by Brugeoise »

I found these stills which appear to belong to unaired bits of footage from The Great Great Britain Crime (credit on the watermarks)

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Early1970s at a guess? Based on hairstyle. Might be late 60s, just after the Bond movie perhaps. Probably pre-Theatre of Blood.

my gut feeling is around 1969...little before, or a tad after the final episode of the Tara era...by the time of the Bond film, Macnee had put on more weight, and his face had some age lines..
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Brugeoise wrote:I found these stills which appear to belong to unaired bits of footage from The Great Great Britain Crime (credit on the watermarks)
Edward Brayshaw (with gun), Gertan Klauber, and Gerald Harper (in uniform), I presume. All popular "cult" TV/film actors in their own right.
Last edited by Frankymole on Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

That explains a lot, I always wondered why Gertan has a credit when he's barely in HAOL.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

His wife (Gwendolyn Watts) was in The Avengers too, as "Julie" in Man With Two Shadows.

Nice mini-biography of him on IMDB:

Corpulent, bushy-browed Czechoslovakian-born character actor Gertan Klauber was a familiar face on British television, appearing in anything from 'Carry On' comedies to playing a Roman galley master in Doctor Who (1963). In Britain from an early age, he studied acting in Birmingham before moving to London in the mid-1950's. Over the next four decades, he trod the boards of the Royal Shakespeare Company, the Arts Theatre and the National Theatre, as well as acting in several drama series for BBC TV. His stock-in-trade was a fluency in Eastern and Central European dialects, as a result of which he was often typecast as spies, border guards, waiters, minor officials and oily second-string villains. As such, he guested on many popular television shows of the day, including The Saint (1962), Danger Man (1964), and The Prisoner (1967). He was, arguably, at his most amusing, as the mad, penguin-fixated King George III in the final instalment of Blackadder the Third (1987).
- IMDb Mini Biography By: I.S.Mowis

He had a bigger role than the galley master in Dr Who a couple of years later, playing the sinister "Ola" who was the deputy to Peter Jeffrey's "Pilot" (colonial governor) in "The Macra Terror" story.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Brugeoise wrote: Image
I love how Mr Macnee is have a crafty cigarette, though I hope the nearby paraffin heater is not leaky! Could make for a fiery performance...
Brugeoise
Thingumajig

Post by Brugeoise »

Frankymole wrote:I love how Mr Macnee is have a crafty cigarette, though I hope the nearby paraffin heater is not leaky! Could make for a fiery performance...
Now that you mention the cigarette, I noticed Colonel Cork is holding one as well. Either Steed and him were sharing a smoke on screen (as it frequently happened during the Cathy Gale era) or it had something to do with the original plot.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

It's just during rehearsal for the actual scene to be shot, I imagine. They wouldn't take agency/press/publicity stills during the actual shooting so it was a between-filming chance for a smoke break. I don't think Steed smoked any more during the filmed seasons, but as we know from TNA he still carried a cigarette case for friends!

Or perhaps they were "facing the firing squad" and so were offered a last cigarette (but no blindfold!).
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:It's just during rehearsal for the actual scene to be shot, I imagine. They wouldn't take agency/press/publicity stills during the actual shooting so it was a between-filming chance for a smoke break. I don't think Steed smoked any more during the filmed seasons, but as we know from TNA he still carried a cigarette case for friends!

Or perhaps they were "facing the firing squad" and so were offered a last cigarette (but no blindfold!).
whole different time....when smoking was accepted on the set, and in vogue..