Bloopers & Gaffes !!

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

No, the stockings were over the full head (at least on the non maintenance Cybernauts), it can clearly been seen in this shot. most notably under the nose and the full neck. The eyes were mesh not stocking fabric. If you spray stockings silver they become opaque and thus would lose the head detailing.
Sorry, that's what I meant - the stocking is over the whole head but a lot of it is covered up with possibly papier maché panels which would have also been sprayed silver. I stand corrected on the mesh eyes.
I would say a paper or cardboard mask and the rest of the bolts and seams are just spot applications glued/painted on the fabric.[/quote]
Last edited by dissolute on Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

dissolute wrote:SAorry, that's what I meant - the stocking is over the whole head but a lot of it is covered up with possibly papier maché panels which would have also been sprayed silver. I stand corrected on the mesh eyes.
I would say a paper or cardboard mask and the rest of the bolts and seams are just spot applications on the fabric.
If you look under the nose you can see that the stockings are stretched over the outer surface of the full head :D

These were the first Cybermen.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

That Cyberman action figure is slightly deceptive though. The colours aren't quite right - according to the costume designer and wardrobe supervisor, the stripes on the body were red and green (and on the jersey body suit underneath another outer suit of transparent polythene-type plastic), the hands were sprayed silver (though this didn't come across well on screen) and the actors' eyes were fully visible albeit with black make-up around them to hide the skin colour. It's likely the stocking head covering was grey rather than beige/sable.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Possibly, but I think its generally acknowledged that the very first Cybermen had flesh toned heads as per the Doctor Who Exhibition example of what they looked like.

Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Avengerholic wrote:Possibly, but I think its generally acknowledged that the very first Cybermen had flesh toned heads as per the Doctor Who Exhibition example of what they looked like.
I'm pretty sure it isn't "generally acknowledged". The 1966 ones had some pretty good reliable information from the costume designer, Sandra Reid (Alexandra Tynan) in several interviews right up to recent times; you can't rely on what a new series designer guesses or makes up for Capaldi's era or for the Adventure in Space and Time in 2013. They had many inaccuracies (the serrated mouth for a start!). None of them seem to get the red and green piping right, and often ignore the made-up hands.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Avengerholic wrote:Possibly, but I think its generally acknowledged that the very first Cybermen had flesh toned heads as per the Doctor Who Exhibition example of what they looked like.

That's a new series one, not a 1966 one. The give-aways include the totally different shoulder plates, ear tubes and many other details. It doesn't even have the see-through body suit.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

I'm sure your right, I'm not really very knowledgeable with regards Doctor Who, it's just when I was recreating the heads the general opinion was a flesh face. Silver does make more sense.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Avengerholic wrote:I'm sure your right, I'm not really very knowledgeable with regards Doctor Who, it's just when I was recreating the heads the general opinion was a flesh face. Silver does make more sense.
does the Avengers, share anything else with Dr.Who ??
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote:
Avengerholic wrote:I'm sure your right, I'm not really very knowledgeable with regards Doctor Who, it's just when I was recreating the heads the general opinion was a flesh face. Silver does make more sense.
Quite a few writers (and actors, of course, like the splendid Peter Barkworth, not to mention Honor Blackman, who were both in an Avengers episode shown on the night that Dr Who was first transmitted). Notably Terrance Dicks and Malcolm Hulke who wrote the Mauritius Penny at the start of their writing partnership, and then reused many elements from it in Tom Baker's first Dr Who story.

Terry Nation who created the Daleks was script editor for Tara's season... the Thingumajig boxes are very Dr Who-like!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
mousemeat wrote:
Quite a few writers (and actors, of course, like the splendid Peter Barkworth, not to mention Honor Blackman, who were both in an Avengers episode shown on the night that Dr Who was first transmitted). Notably Terrance Dicks and Malcolm Hulke who wrote the Mauritius Penny at the start of their writing partnership, and then reused many elements from it in Tom Baker's first Dr Who story.

Terry Nation who created the Daleks was script editor for Tara's season... the Thingumajig boxes are very Dr Who-like!

sorta like cross pollen....lol.....interesting..that the shows share some creative processes, etc.....and Franky, thanks for the heads up...like going to school...