Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots: The Ultimate Avengers Book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

MikeR wrote:
Don Leaver has said that he actually preferred directing a videotaped episode in the confined space of a television studio, because it was a challenge to get it right first time without the luxury of having the safety net of being able to do more than a solitary take. Having looked at various scripts I can see that Patrick Macnee often ad-libbed his lines to more or less say what the screenplay indicated. Though further to this, he was also very good at getting things back on track when someone else in the cast got things wrong, ad-libbing to cover up the mistake.
Don Leaver did not feel welcome in the filmed era of the show. There is no doubt that he and Hammond kept the videotape era fresh and inventive under trying pressures.

Am still enjoying plunging and replunging into the book.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Rodders wrote:
MikeR wrote:
Don Leaver has said that he actually preferred directing a videotaped episode in the confined space of a television studio, because it was a challenge to get it right first time without the luxury of having the safety net of being able to do more than a solitary take. Having looked at various scripts I can see that Patrick Macnee often ad-libbed his lines to more or less say what the screenplay indicated. Though further to this, he was also very good at getting things back on track when someone else in the cast got things wrong, ad-libbing to cover up the mistake.
Don Leaver did not feel welcome in the filmed era of the show. There is no doubt that he and Hammond kept the videotape era fresh and inventive under trying pressures.

Am still enjoying plunging and replunging into the book.
Rodders

That's very nice of you to say and makes up for some of the disappointments I had when trying to find a home for the book. Thankfully Telos Publishing had the foresight to take the project on and they invested a huge amount of time into making the book look good.
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

The book is still showing out of print and unavailable on Amazon us. When will it be made available here? Third party sellers are listing copies for $80!
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Lando wrote:The book is still showing out of print and unavailable on Amazon us. When will it be made available here? Third party sellers are listing copies for $80!
Lando

If you follow the link you'll find Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots on Amazon USA costing about $35.00.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... inky+boots
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

MikeR wrote:
Lando wrote:The book is still showing out of print and unavailable on Amazon us. When will it be made available here? Third party sellers are listing copies for $80!
Lando

If you follow the link you'll find Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots on Amazon USA costing about $35.00.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... inky+boots
Thank you so much!! I didn't realize there were multiple listings!!!
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Lando

No problem.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Still dipping into this delightful book on a regular basis. Each time it goes back on the bookshelf I seem to need it again.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Rodders wrote:Still dipping into this delightful book on a regular basis. Each time it goes back on the bookshelf I seem to need it again.
Rodders

Kind of you to say so.
davidf
Little Wonder

Post by davidf »

Hey Mike, I'm just wondering, did the Murder Market ever had some additional, later reshoots?

Cause in your book, it gives the impression it was quickly completed after Diana Rigg joined.

I think in some old DWB magazine, they were speaking about documentation showing it had more and more reshoots as the BW series went on, scene by scene.

Just asking.

My feeling is the first episode completed to introduce Diana is The Master Minds. Witness the reveal of Emma Peel in the car and in the house when she drops the coat.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

seventeen wrote:Hey Mike, I'm just wondering, did the Murder Market ever had some additional, later reshoots?

Cause in your book, it gives the impression it was quickly completed after Diana Rigg joined.

I think in some old DWB magazine, they were speaking about documentation showing it had more and more reshoots as the BW series went on, scene by scene.

Just asking.

My feeling is the first episode completed to introduce Diana is The Master Minds. Witness the reveal of Emma Peel in the car and in the house when she drops the coat.
Seventeen

I'm not aware of any reshooting on The Murder Market after Friday 18th December 1965. I suppose there could well have been some inserts or pick-up shots done in the following weeks, but I think everything else would have been covered either in the earlier Wolf Rilla directed material with Elizabeth Shepherd or later when Peter Graham Scott reshot scenes/finished off the episode with Diana Rigg. My dates come from The Daily Cinema which gave slightly more detailed information than its rival publication of the time, Kine Weekly. The dates in The Daily Cinema show that The Master Minds was filmed directly after The Murder Market.