Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots: The Ultimate Avengers Book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I've now read it cover to cover (although I confess to skipping some of the bios and episode lists).
A ripper of a book, and I'm amazed at the amount of information you have in there. I'm going to have to go through it again as I correct errors on my website you have brought to light.

I spotted about 15-20 things that I would fix (mainly in the plot synopses) but as I was in hospital at the time, completely failed to keep notes.

Are you sure the two Tom Cleggs are the same person? I never found any concrete evidence myself, although the name is unusual enough for it to be he.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

dissolute wrote:I've now read it cover to cover (although I confess to skipping some of the bios and episode lists).
A ripper of a book, and I'm amazed at the amount of information you have in there. I'm going to have to go through it again as I correct errors on my website you have brought to light.

I spotted about 15-20 things that I would fix (mainly in the plot synopses) but as I was in hospital at the time, completely failed to keep notes.

Are you sure the two Tom Cleggs are the same person? I never found any concrete evidence myself, although the name is unusual enough for it to be he.
I'm pleased that you found Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots a riveting read. I know that IMDB have two Tom Cleggs (actually three, but one is a recent actor), but I'm positive that the other two are one and the same. One has actor Tom ending his acting roles in 1970 and other entry has Tom beginning his directing career in 1970.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Just thought I ‘d wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a big thank you to all of you who purchased a copy of Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots, plus everyone who assisted in putting the book together and those who took time out to give me feedback. After three years of writing this tome I finally saw my dream of having a major work on The Avengers/The New Avengers published.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

An excellent book, Michael. I constantly return to it. With the sole exception of the Colin Finbow error - I now have his original script and almost nothing was changed - I can't think of anything which I would question. Lots of illuminating facts.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Merry Christmas, Mike! Was happy to be able to help with your book. Still staggered by the extent of your research. Wonderful book. :)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

Merry Christmas, Mike, your book is an absolute joy, incredibly well researched :)
Merry Christmas, Piers, Rodney and Alan :)
James/Mrs Emma Peel
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

It's a wonderful book and I've been constantly dipping back into it ever since I got it.

There's the odd music point that's wrong - I only know as the music is a biggie for me and I used to love trying to work out where the original tracks came from (like All Done with Mirrors fight scene score coming from Never Never Say Die and not The Cybernauts - and Stay Tuned used The Joker score rather than Pandora).

But it's a masterful tome!

Merry Christmas to you all :)
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

MikeR wrote:Just thought I ‘d wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a big thank you to all of you who purchased a copy of Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots, plus everyone who assisted in putting the book together and those who took time out to give me feedback. After three years of writing this tome I finally saw my dream of having a major work on The Avengers/The New Avengers published.
Merry Christmas to you too. Your book is an essential read for all true Avenger fans.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Yes Merry X-Mas to all on the site and to all of you keeping TA alive. The books this year have been spectacular. I am so very delighted you persisted Mike to get your book published.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Darren wrote:It's a wonderful book and I've been constantly dipping back into it ever since I got it.

There's the odd music point that's wrong - I only know as the music is a biggie for me and I used to love trying to work out where the original tracks came from (like All Done with Mirrors fight scene score coming from Never Never Say Die and not The Cybernauts - and Stay Tuned used The Joker score rather than Pandora).

But it's a masterful tome!

Merry Christmas to you all :)
Darren

I always found Laurie's incidental music for The Joker and Pandora to be very similar. In fact I might say that Pandora is slight reworking of material originally created for The Joker.

The Joker cue has turned up on KPM stock music albums, under the name of Lonely Stranger, along with other tracks heard in The Avengers, Chase That Car and Fisticuffs. It does appear that Laurie's contract with ABC Television allowed him to keep the copyright of the incidental music he composed for the series.