Diana Rigg

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Essa
White Dwarf

Post by Essa »

Philippa wrote:I watched Diana in Mother Love a few weeks ago.
My god what an actress, she scared the crap out of me!
She played it so well!
One hell of a creepy role! It made my skin crawl when I first watched it.

Is this ever going to be released on DVD?
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I should think so eventually. Annoying. Especially when you think every recent BBC production seems to be on DVD these days...

Fingers crossed for a 20th Anniversary edition. With extras!
Last edited by Dandy Forsdyke on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Essa wrote:
She played it so well!

Well, I created a petition two years ago last month and sent it off to the BBC and more recently Sue who co-created it sent it off to Acorn Media (USA) and then just about a week ago I sent it off to Acorn Media (UK) as well as the BBC.
Maybe you would like to add your signature to the petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Laburnum/petition.html
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

Signed it :D
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I have always rated Diana Rigg as our finest actress here in the UK, along with fellow Dame, Judi Dench. Yet I can't help but feel Diana's career wasn't as successful as it should have been. Dame Judi has been offered excellent film roles and has awards and nominations galore. Not so Dame Diana. She's been successful yes, but don't you think she should have been offered more in the way of meaty film and television roles. Mother Love was excellent and she did win awards, but that was nearly 20 years ago. She's had good roles since but not nearly enough of them. When was the last time she graced our tv screens? Maybe she prefers it this way, preferring to spend more time in the theatre. Her underuse is a great pity, because she is one of our finest actresses.
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

I am strictly guessing here, but I think Rigg prefers the theater. It's what she trained for, what she wanted to do. Movies and television may have just been a filler for her since bills have to still be paid in the interim.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

cyberrich wrote:I have always rated Diana Rigg as our finest actress here in the UK, along with fellow Dame, Judi Dench. Yet I can't help but feel Diana's career wasn't as successful as it should have been. Dame Judi has been offered excellent film roles and has awards and nominations galore. Not so Dame Diana. She's been successful yes, but don't you think she should have been offered more in the way of meaty film and television roles. Mother Love was excellent and she did win awards, but that was nearly 20 years ago. She's had good roles since but not nearly enough of them. When was the last time she graced out tv screens? Maybe she prefers it this way, preferring to spend more time in the theatre. Her underuse is a great pity, because she is one of our finest actresses.
I agree with you! She has said she is waiting for the plum film role but it never seems to come along. The last film she made was a good film but she had a very small but significant part as the 'Mother Superior' in 'The Painted Veil'. Before that we had 'Mrs Bradley' which shew loved doing but the head of the BBC at the time (Greg Dyke) cancelled it!
I love Dame Judi too and she does seem to corner the best roles along with Dame Maggie and Dame Helen. But, Diana ain't doing too bad wit the theatre. And, she says she does like not working.

PS: When I say 'she says' - these are from interviews I have read and seen. I'm not a friend - I wish! :wink:
Essa
White Dwarf

Post by Essa »

DiVicenzo wrote:
Essa wrote:
She played it so well!

Well, I created a petition two years ago last month and sent it off to the BBC and more recently Sue who co-created it sent it off to Acorn Media (USA) and then just about a week ago I sent it off to Acorn Media (UK) as well as the BBC.

I'll do that, thanks. But 'every other BBC drama' seems to have already made it to dvd, or at least VHS. It's very odd that nothing was done with Mother Love, especially since Diana Rigg stars in it. It almost seems like something ... diabolical... is keeping it off the shelves.

For the last couple of years I've been dealing with a set of music videos which appeared on dvd for a very brief moment and to much acclaim. Then the dvd was withdrawn, quickly and with no explanation. Legal dickering seems to be at the heart of that problem, and I wonder if something similar isn't going on with ML. [/i]
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

Essa wrote:
DiVicenzo wrote:
Essa wrote: One hell of a creepy role! It made my skin crawl when I first watched it.

I'll do that, thanks. But 'every other BBC drama' seems to have already made it to dvd, or at least VHS. It's very odd that nothing was done with Mother Love, especially since Diana Rigg stars in it. It almost seems like something ... diabolical... is keeping it off the shelves.

For the last couple of years I've been dealing with a set of music videos which appeared on dvd for a very brief moment and to much acclaim. Then the dvd was withdrawn, quickly and with no explanation. Legal dickering seems to be at the heart of that problem, and I wonder if something similar isn't going on with ML. [/i]
I believe there's some kind of problem with the author of the novel and her estate. But, I'm not giving up! :wink:
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

cyberrich wrote:I have always rated Diana Rigg as our finest actress here in the UK, along with fellow Dame, Judi Dench. Yet I can't help but feel Diana's career wasn't as successful as it should have been. Dame Judi has been offered excellent film roles and has awards and nominations galore. Not so Dame Diana. She's been successful yes, but don't you think she should have been offered more in the way of meaty film and television roles. Mother Love was excellent and she did win awards, but that was nearly 20 years ago. She's had good roles since but not nearly enough of them. When was the last time she graced our tv screens? Maybe she prefers it this way, preferring to spend more time in the theatre. Her underuse is a great pity, because she is one of our finest actresses.
Diana was offered loads of movie roles after The Avengers, and she admits as such. However, most of them had her playing the Emma Peel character and "bursting through the door with a flamethrower" (what I wouldn't give to see Diana Rigg with a flamthrower, but moving on) and such, and as she was pretty sick of Emma by that point, she turned them all down. Recently she's said she regretted not having a film career because she focussed so exclusively on theatre, but seems to realise she's partly to blame.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14