The Avengers on DVD in the US?

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:A US Blu ray release might be the reason for the delay.
don't think it'll happen any time soon....hopefully, YES !!
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

News of the Studio Canal HIGH DEF restorations from the original camera negatives hit the web back in Jan. 2008. We have seen the excellent results from the Optimum discs. Notice I highlighted HIGH DEF! Anyone thinking there will never be a bluray release of the Avengers is livng in fantasyland plain and simple. The high def transfers are done and were downconverted to 576i for the British dvd's.

My guess is A&E is waiting for the bugs to be worked out for the Optimum series discs which have been numerous and seem to continue with every set released. My guess would be an identical bluray release in the US as the British Isles get. The US will release a bluray and dvd set concurrently, but the bluray is really needed for sales purposes. With the current economy and the cult nature of the discs a dvd only release would be deemed fickle and not providing the sales needed for a clear profit. Bluray is far too affordable in the states. I would grab the Honor Blackmen episodes in a heartbeat on dvd as that is the best they will ever look.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

timlamb wrote:My guess is A&E is waiting for the bugs to be worked out for the Optimum series discs
A&E haven't held a license to release The Avengers since 2008, so I'd be surprised if they're paying attention to releases of the series in other territories.

I hope I'm wrong, of course - but I think if the series is re-released in the USA, there's no guarantee who will release it or that they will license Optimum's extra features.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

You may have a point with that. Recently Lionsgate is releasing Studio Canal films in the US. A&E seems to be on par with Network bluray releases. I just don't see a release in the US till the blurays arrive in the UK. I then see them hitting stateside pretty quickly.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I hope you're right, Tim. It would be a real shame if US fans did not get their own version of the new restorations.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

timlamb wrote:You may have a point with that. Recently Lionsgate is releasing Studio Canal films in the US. A&E seems to be on par with Network bluray releases. I just don't see a release in the US till the blurays arrive in the UK. I then see them hitting stateside pretty quickly.
boy, sure hope it happens....dying to see the 'upgraded' versions..and how much better,they will look...got my fingers crossed,and cheque book ready!
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

I had purchased the Emma Peel Megaset in the US for $99. I returned the set upon hearing of the HD remasters. My school library has most of the A&E dvd's and their PQ is nothing exceptional. The Emma Peel and Tara King sets should be night and day. The Cathy Gale dvd's when released should be a nice upgrade. DVD mastering has come along way since 1999 when the A&E dvd's were 1st released.
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

timlamb wrote:I had purchased the Emma Peel Megaset in the US for $99. I returned the set upon hearing of the HD remasters. My school library has most of the A&E dvd's and their PQ is nothing exceptional. The Emma Peel and Tara King sets should be night and day. The Cathy Gale dvd's when released should be a nice upgrade. DVD mastering has come along way since 1999 when the A&E dvd's were 1st released.
Agreed on mastering. Thus far the screenshots of the new Optimum sets that I have seen are fantastic looking. A lot better than the A&E sets. I have the Peel set and it does the job, but that's about it.

Would love to get the series on Blu ray. I would really like to pick up the Tara King years on dvd.
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Alan wrote:
timlamb wrote:My guess is A&E is waiting for the bugs to be worked out for the Optimum series discs
A&E haven't held a license to release The Avengers since 2008, so I'd be surprised if they're paying attention to releases of the series in other territories.

I hope I'm wrong, of course - but I think if the series is re-released in the USA, there's no guarantee who will release it or that they will license Optimum's extra features.
Right you are. That is exactly why the Optimum sets should be purchased. I'm not holding my breath for a US release that may be years away.
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

On the plus side as long as the British blurays aren't region locked they will play perfectly in any bluray player. The Cathy Gale series creates a problem though with pal dvd's. I would need to hook my Pioneer DV-717 back up to my HDTV for playback. I will wait a bit for a US announcement.