Gareth Hunt

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Mararaboomdiay
Little Wonder

Post by Mararaboomdiay »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I wonder if Joanna's thinking of him today as well? :cry:
I'm sure about that... It's moving how close they still were, years after TNA.

R.I.P.
Col Mustard
Nutshell

Post by Col Mustard »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Aw, was it really three years ago today. God bless that man - thanks, Timeless, for the reminder.

I know what it is like to lose a dear friend from cancer - what a cruel and evil disease.

I will raise a glass and say a prayer for our pal Gareth tonight.
Yes, we'll all raise a glass to those we loved and lost.
"What fresh hell is this?" D. Parker
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

You know hoe, in the later parts of the Tara era, they started experimenting with the younger male character idea, often by putting him Tara and letting the pair of them interact while Steed went off and did something else? Baron von Kurt from They Keep Killing Steed and Captain Cordell from Bizarre were the best examples, and looking back were pretty much Gambit prototypes that predicted the way TNA would go long before 1976. I tend to think they would have added a third, male character to the series had it not been cancelled, if for no other reason than to take the load off Patrick, who was getting pretty tired of the series by that point. So if we had gotten a third player in the Tara era, what would he have looked like?

It's a lovely shot of Gareth from 1969, so he's about 27. It's a nice little look-in into what we could have gotten if we'd had Gambit seven years earlier. I wouldn't have complained. :wink:
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Timeless A-Peel wrote: It's a lovely shot of Gareth from 1969, so he's about 27. It's a nice little look-in into what we could have gotten if we'd had Gambit seven years earlier. I wouldn't have complained. :wink:
Yay, Bristol!! Nice find. He could've taken over Tara-caring duties from Baron Von Kurt.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote: It's a lovely shot of Gareth from 1969, so he's about 27. It's a nice little look-in into what we could have gotten if we'd had Gambit seven years earlier. I wouldn't have complained. :wink:
Yay, Bristol!! Nice find. He could've taken over Tara-caring duties from Baron Von Kurt.
Definitely, though no offence to Ian Ogilvy, who I think did a pretty good job. But it would have been kind of fun to see Gareth spark off Linda and then carry him over to Joanna. That would have been a nice little piece of continuity.

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Nice pic. He doesn't look any different. Especially when you think of the different looks Joanna Lumley had - but that's girls for ya! :lol:

It's a nice idea that Mike Gambit could have been the 'bridge' between the origial and the New Avengers, and in any other series you could imagine that happening. However, as we know Brian Clemens wasn't keen on continuity - apart from a few references to past Avenger girls and the retun of our old robotic friends the Cybernauts. So I think if Mike Gambit had appeared in a TK episode he might not have been considered for The New Avengers - although I'd like to think he would would've.

Similarly, I honestly believe that if Joanna had won the part of Hannah Wild in the stage show, she may have jeopardised her chances in TNA.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Nice pic. He doesn't look any different. Especially when you think of the different looks Joanna Lumley had - but that's girls for ya! :lol:

It's a nice idea that Mike Gambit could have been the 'bridge' between the origial and the New Avengers, and in any other series you could imagine that happening. However, as we know Brian Clemens wasn't keen on continuity - apart from a few references to past Avenger girls and the retun of our old robotic friends the Cybernauts. So I think if Mike Gambit had appeared in a TK episode he might not have been considered for The New Avengers - although I'd like to think he would would've.

Similarly, I honestly believe that if Joanna had won the part of Hannah Wild in the stage show, she may have jeopardised her chances in TNA.
Well, Joanna was always waging a war against her hair. She was always cutting it and dying it in the hope that it would look "good," because she says it's rather dry and tatty (hence cutting it all off for Purdey). So that explains her ever-rotating looks. All Gareth did was let his hair grow out to seventies standards and let his face angle out. Men have it easy. :wink:

I don't think Clemens had any problem with continuity--I was under the impression that it was an unwritten rule to not make reference to previous episodes because the writers had no control over the order in which the episodes were shown, or even if they would be shown at all, so a lack of references to previous events was sort of forced on them. Anyway, if the show had continued into the seventies, he could have just sort of hung in there until Linda walked away and they brought in the next Avengers girl (we'll say Purdey for argument's sake). It probably wouldn't be the TNA we know and love, but it would be interesting to see how it all would have shaken out if there hadn't been the seven year gap.

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Yes as I've said before, even if the show had been active throughout 1970-75 it would still have looked, or developed into, what we see as The New Avengers. That's why I consider TNA as a continuation - not a sequel, although it can be viewed as either I suppose.

I just think that had Gareth Hunt been cast in any TK episodes he may not have been invited back for TNA - anymore than Linda Thorson wasn't. Same with Joanna and the stage production. But that's just my feeling.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Yes as I've said before, even if the show had been active throughout 1970-75 it would still have looked, or developed into, what we see as The New Avengers. That's why I consider TNA as a continuation - not a sequel, although it can be viewed as either I suppose.

I just think that had Gareth Hunt been cast in any TK episodes he may not have been invited back for TNA - anymore than Linda Thorson wasn't. Same with Joanna and the stage production. But that's just my feeling.
Yes, I definitely think the show was heading down the TNA route one way or another. So much in fact that I think they would have cast a third regular character by 1970/71, if only to give Patrick a break. If Gareth had been a one-off like Ian Ogilvy, then no, he probably wouldn't have been invited back. But if he'd been cast as the third lead, and then stuck with the show for however many years until Linda left and they cast Joanna, I can't see them dumping him along the way. The Avengers never seemed keen to get rid of cast members, except for minor players like Julie Stevens and Jon Rollason, only recasting them when wandered off of their own volition, so I expect once he was in, they would have hung onto him as long as he wanted to do it. But if he'd been a guest star, yes, that probably would have killed his chances. I sometimes wonder if that was poor Gabrielle Drake's failing, losing out on playing both Tara and Purdey. I don't know how much Joanna's role in the stageplay would have hurt her--depends on how "visible" Clemens and co. considered it, I suppose.

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

You raise a good point with Gabrielle Drake. No-one who had a small part in the show was ever given a leading part, not even Catherine Woodville AKA poor Peggy (who of course popped her clogs in the first act of Hot Snow) AKA Mrs Patrick Macnee who wanted the Emma Peel role.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY