Escapade - Avengers USA (1978)

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

I was going to wait, but went ahead and watched it this morning. I'm glad I did. My uncle caught it the one time CBS aired it back in 1978, but didn't tell me about it until later.

It was interesting. Although they tried to make Joshua "Steedish" by the "I don't like to carry a gun" business, to me he resembled an American Mike Gambit. I had no problem with Granville Van Dusen's take on the role.

I think Susie was supposed to be an American Purdey, but fell short. I like Morgan Fairchild, but she's not really "spy material". Her constant hitting on Joshua made me think of Gambit's many attempts at Purdey. That bit was way overdone and was getting quite annoying by the end of the episode.

Oz, the talking computer, was the weakest part of the whole thing and made me appreciate Mother a lot more!

As I said before, it was interesting to finally see it. I think it would make a great extra on one of the upcoming DVD sets. You could definitely tell that Clemens came up with it around the same time as TNA. He continued his tradition of "stealing from himself". I can see why it was not picked up as a series, though.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

So, did anyone rip it to a local copy? That had been my intention when I got home last night, but it was too late by then.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Sam wrote:
It was interesting. Although they tried to make Joshua "Steedish" by the "I don't like to carry a gun" business, to me he resembled an American Mike Gambit. I had no problem with Granville Van Dusen's take on the role.
The villain looked even more like Gareth Hunt I thought. But yes Joshua was a US Steed/Gambit amalgam.
Sam wrote:
I think Susie was supposed to be an American Purdey, but fell short. I like Morgan Fairchild, but she's not really "spy material". Her constant hitting on Joshua made me think of Gambit's many attempts at Purdey. That bit was way overdone and was getting quite annoying by the end of the episode.
Interesting how the roles were reversed. Susie was, what people would call today, a bit of a bunny-boiler.
Sam wrote:
Oz, the talking computer, was the weakest part of the whole thing and made me appreciate Mother a lot more!
That was excruciating. I think the gay/English computer (Oz) was a take off of C3PO. The humour was a bit laboured to say the least. I thought John Inman was stuck in it's data bank at first.
Sam wrote:
As I said before, it was interesting to finally see it. I think it would make a great extra on one of the upcoming DVD sets. You could definitely tell that Clemens came up with it around the same time as TNA. He continued his tradition of "stealing from himself". I can see why it was not picked up as a series, though.
I would never have commissioned this without a major re-write, perhaps even a re-cast - I thought the actress playing Paula Winters, the newbie agent was a better fit than Fairchild. At least with her auburn hair and Adidas track suit she looked more like a recognisable Avenger girl.

If Optimum ever do a New Avengers box set this would be an interesting addition.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

It was stated in one of the Rogers books that Joshua and Suzy were supposed to be Americanised versions of Steed/Gambit and Purdey, as opposed to any of the other Avengers characters, which makes sense considering the close proximity to TNA. I really, really want to see this now. I'l be very grateful to anyone who can offer a download link or something. :D
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
jerome
White Dwarf

Post by jerome »

the opening sequence for Escapade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj9ohcdmhsU
bramford
Thingumajig

Post by bramford »

The full episode again for those of you who missed it.

http://sevenload.com/videos/COZkGQf-Escapade
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

bramford wrote:The full episode again for those of you who missed it.

Thank you! :D Any chance of a download link in case it goes AWOL again?
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Cybernowt
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Cybernowt »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
bramford wrote:The full episode again for those of you who missed it.

Thank you! :D Any chance of a download link in case it goes AWOL again?
I was thinking that too!
SteedMonk
Little Wonder

Post by SteedMonk »

Firefox offers several add-ons to download the video! :D
Steed: "Eee-urp!!"
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

SteedMonk wrote:Firefox offers several add-ons to download the video! :D
Way ahead of you. Already snagged myself a copy! 8)