Did They or Didn't They?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Mona wrote: Obviously, this is not the case for everyone--Niles and Daphne getting together was About Time for me, after nearly 7 years of endless dancing about. Their relationship being together was sweet and touching, at times problematic, and merged perfectly into the show. After all, Frasier was having sex with partners all the time--did that ruin the show? If not, why would it be okay for Frasier to have sex in his relationships, but not Niles and Daphne?

The difference is that Frasier had lots of different partners throughout the series - that was part of the show; the ups and downs of Frasier's personal relationships. It was fairly consistant throughout.

Another part of the show was Niles infatuation with Daphne - and her being totally oblivious to it. That 'jumped the shark' when the whole thing came to a conclusion. It did for me, it lost a part of the show I enjoyed. But it was still a good show - especially the 'Avengers' episode!
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
MRotten wrote:A quick response from yours truly: "None of our business!"

The fact that things were ambiguous between the leads is what gave the show such appeal. If it had been an American show, they would have been a married couple, hopping in and out of bed in various stages of undress, with nothing left to the imagination. Boring.
Certainly married (with children!) Frasier was ruined when the original concept of the Niles/Daphne relationship was altered.
true...also 'Lois and Clark, the new adventures of Superman' lost a lot of drive and steam, when Lois Lane and Kent was married in the 4th season. the show was not renewed for a 5th season..
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

oneknightsteed wrote: I defer to Patrick Macnee who has stated, "Of course they did it...but then they got on with it!"
Ah, but Diana Rigg says they didn't. What can you do? :wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
oneknightsteed wrote: I defer to Patrick Macnee who has stated, "Of course they did it...but then they got on with it!"
Right. Rigg said it was just flirtation between them. I think the appeal of the two leads' relationship is the fact that we are not privy to every bit of detail. That's more interesting than if all the cards are on the table, so to speak, and we have perhaps more information than we actually need. The Avengers kept us guessing, and still does to this day. That's the genius of the show.
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

Mona wrote:Hello, MRotten,

I understand your belief that when fictional characters have sex on TV, it ruins a show for you, and you feel it ruins the show.

Obviously, this is not the case for everyone--Niles and Daphne getting together was About Time for me, after nearly 7 years of endless dancing about. Their relationship being together was sweet and touching, at times problematic, and merged perfectly into the show. After all, Frasier was having sex with partners all the time--did that ruin the show? If not, why would it be okay for Frasier to have sex in his relationships, but not Niles and Daphne?

I'm not sure why sex has to be hidden among consensual, energetic, healthy, mutual adults in "The Avengers" and even the thought of Steed and Emma having sex creates such havoc among some. As OneKnightSteed so eloquently wrote, the show wanted us to care about these characters and made them much more than two dimensional cut out boards. They had pasts, complex personalities, loved life and risked death both for the adventure and for the safety of their country and world.

They loved good food, good drink, good cars, good clothes. They went to balls and parties, they played polo and cricket, wrote scientific articles, went to shows, on picnics, to dinner. I think believing they lived life fully but kept sex out of it is missing some depth--Steed is the antithesis of celibacy and one doubts Emma, a very young, active and healthy widow, would choose to embrace a nunnery.

Believing that healthy, mutual sex was included in their relationship, and seeing some incredibly obvious clues to that regard, does not ruin the Avengers at all for me. Why would it? It, if anything, seems incredibly common sense SEDDI would exist given the times, the characters, and the writing of the show. It's certain if I was Emma I would have sex with Steed, so maybe some of our own desires are displaced onto the characters, as well as seeing the (at times blatant) innuendo and actions the writers so frequently had them conversing, and doing.

It would actually ruin the show for me IF they HADN'T had sex. Then the characters would appear to me to be very superficially drawn, burdened with sexual issues or a complete lack of libido which seems so antagonistic to their otherwise encompassing love of life.

Mona
Bravo, Mona! This a sterling summation for SEDDI!
believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

What attracts me to the show and my obsession with it is mainly the Steed/Emma dynamic. Whether they did it or not isn't as titalating as their flirtation with each other(knowing looks, innuendos, etc)...and I think they had at one point in their friendship....I'ld rather they keep it behind closed doors. An imagination is a terrible thing to waste. :wink:
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

MRotten wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Right. Rigg said it was just flirtation between them. I think the appeal of the two leads' relationship is the fact that we are not privy to every bit of detail. That's more interesting than if all the cards are on the table, so to speak, and we have perhaps more information than we actually need. The Avengers kept us guessing, and still does to this day. That's the genius of the show.
how true...it's all in the mind.....the flirtation..was wonderful..still is, to this day.

just think of some of those classic moments....
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Image

Excellent. The first has me "LOLing" as the young folks have it. And as for the last one... like rabbits, constantly, not just post-Bizarre. That "Forget-Me-Knot" conclusion says it all.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Thanks. They were old avatars of mine or ones I rejected. Just a bit of daftness.

You think there was any Steed/Tara hanky-panky in TFMK? They'd only just met! :shock:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY