Ian Hendry

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Purrr
Thingumajig

Post by Purrr »

Ian Hendry's as Cy in 'High Style', an episode of the British detective series 'Jemima Shore Investigates'. Sample clip on top of the page.

Jemima Shore Investigates
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Click to enlarge 8)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote: He and Patrick used to be drinking buddies. There's a very funny anecdote about the day Pat quit and switched to prune juice. :lol:
Do tell! Unless it's scatological of course. Prunes do have "properties"!
So they do! It was from Blind in One Ear, I believe, one of the many times Patrick had quit drinking. His doctor had advised him to start drinking prune juice. When he showed up at the pub to meet Ian and ordered it, Ian's reaction was pretty funny, as was their little exchange. I think you'd have to read it for it to have the full effect.
no doubt about it...the 'sauce' shorted Ian's career, (could have been bigger etc)
and eventually, his life....sorta sad.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote: Image
Click to enlarge 8)
I've never seen that pic of Mr Hendry before. Nice colouring job - had me fooled.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Frankymole wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote: Image
Click to enlarge 8)
I've never seen that pic of Mr Hendry before. Nice colouring job - had me fooled.
Yes, very good colouring, and I've never seen that one of Ian, either. There don't appear to be as many pics of him floating around.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Thanks, both. With that shirt he looks like he was having a midlife crisis before Patrick and his paisley shirts! :lol:

There is another pic like this of him putting it on. Looks like he won his bet! :)

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I've got a jumper I use as a pyjama top, similar to that! Well it beats the knitting pattern cardigan he modelled.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I recoloured the pic above but it's not come out that well. In spite of the nearby window there's a shadow on his face and arm which creates a problem with the skin tone.

I've uploaded it onto my website but I might take it down in time as it's irritating me - :lol: !!

How can you wear anything in bed? I'd feel like I was suffocating!
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Of course, we all know we saw Hendry again as Gunner in TNA "To Catch A Rat". He looked very aged there, even though he was 9 years younger than Pat, who looked very good, especially in comparison. Hendry was born in 1931; Pat in 1922.

Pat drank on and off, but no doubt has much better drinking genes, given his alcoholic mother lived to 95. Plus, Pat went back and forth from drinking to eating health foods at nudist spas, and such, so did give his body long breaks from the booze at times, until he gave it up completely around 1980 or so. It seems that Ian simply was an active drinker since Pat worked with him (and probably before). Again, very sad.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I recoloured the pic above but it's not come out that well. In spite of the nearby window there's a shadow on his face and arm which creates a problem with the skin tone.

I've uploaded it onto my website but I might take it down in time as it's irritating me - :lol: !!

How can you wear anything in bed? I'd feel like I was suffocating!
I used to live with an Austrian who kept the windows open in the depths of winter. I'd regularly wake up in the morning with ice in my eyebrows. Still, in these days of duvets with high tog ratings it is a bit old-fashioned to wear a t-shirt or cotton top in bed I suppose :)

As to Ian Hendry's drinking, it does tend to dominate discussions about him which in some ways is a shame, it overshadows his good work which is well worth watching. That's why I was so pleased to see "The Girl on the Trapeze" especially in its restored quality (I had deliberately avoided watching it in its earlier forms or on the net).

He was a smoker too - I don't know when Patrick Macnee gave up cigarettes but that must have contributed to his better health as well. Sadly for that generation (and earlier) smoking was de rigeur - I wish I could persuade my parents to give up, but it's probably too late now.
Last edited by Frankymole on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.