What I LIKE About Avenger Episodes

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:We are led to believe Steed and Emma are Tory voters, Brian Clemens (who wrote or rewrote the episode) certainly is a Conservative.
Again... I'm sorry, but we are NOT led to believe Steed and Emma are Tory voters. All we are told is that they did not vote for the unseen and unamed Prime Minister. Even if it is the same PM as in the real world, it does not mean they voted Tory. It is simply your interpretation. Having already been accused of pedantry, I apologize once more. But drawing inferences and then stating them here as fact will always draw my reaction.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Allard wrote:I do not deny the writers could very well have put a joke in to the show, confirming their own political preferences.

That's all I'm suggesting. It was just an in-joke for the (British) viewers, but it was clearly meant to be Harold Wilson by the discription.
Johnny O wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:We are led to believe Steed and Emma are Tory voters, Brian Clemens (who wrote or rewrote the episode) certainly is a Conservative.
Again... I'm sorry, but we are NOT led to believe Steed and Emma are Tory voters. All we are told is that they did not vote for the unseen and unamed Prime Minister. Even if it is the same PM as in the real world, it does not mean they voted Tory. It is simply your interpretation. Having already been accused of pedantry, I apologize once more. But drawing inferences and then stating them here as fact will always draw my reaction.
I get that. I'm saying that it's an easily drawn conclusion to think that if they didn't vote for the present Prime Minister they voted the other way - Conservative. I guess they could have said ...
"Did you vote for him?"
"I didn't vote"
But they did not (from my recollection). Indicating they did vote, but not Labour.

I really don't think they would have voted Liberal as I say politically in the UK it always been a two-horse race. The last time the Liberal party was elected to Government was 1922.

I don't think a lot of thought was put into it, it was just a skit.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Post by waldotyson »

Gor Blimey! I've started a debate about pretend politics with my praising one episode of the show! :) Time for me to go see auntie Maud.
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Liked Dead on Course, and designer Robert Fuest!
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Hmmm, the current government is a Tory - Liberal Democrats coalition.

Still, I think it's obvious that Steed and Emma voted Conservative, if they did at all. I'd like to think they voted otherwise, but it seems unlikely from the characterisations (although they show an even-handed nature where rank and privilege count for nothing).
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.