The Avengers DVD Set 4 (Series 5) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I've just watched two of the reconstructions - Tunnel of Fear and Dragonsfield.

I always liked the sound of these from the synopsis and the recons proved very enjoyable in bringing alive the story. Great job

I've completed disc 5 and didn't notice any sound issues - not to say they aren't there but my enjoyment of the episodes was in no way impaired.
rdc180368
White Dwarf

Post by rdc180368 »

Cybernowt wrote:People were saying that they werent going to pre-order series 5, due to the errors with series 4. I wish I'd listened.

To be honest, I've not got around to watching any of the eps yet, I just put a disc in to look through the extras. I have though been waiting for this box set to come out [for a long time] to watch the eps in their supposed absolute best. Otherwise I could have just rewatched my old vhs'.

If this problem is going to be addressed, it would be nice to know. Otherwise I'm looking into sending it back asap, and I wont be pre-ordering series 6. The set was too much money to keep if its duff. I generally always wait to buy box sets. I never buy dvds when they first come out. I have patience and always wait for a few months to get them cheaper. But when I really fancy watching something, I'll splash out a bit more and buy is as soon as it appears. This [and series 4] was the only time I've done this in a couple of years at least. Which only adds to my annoyance.

Sorry if I appear overly snippy with this post. I know its not the end of the world by a long way, but I really do feel like I've been done.
I returned Series 4 because it clearly wasn't right and I still felt there were one or two outstanding issues (at least on the ones I had) that weren't addressed by the replacement discs. I just decided to cut my losses.

I hoped Series 5 would be okay... I wasn't especially pessimistic before it arrived - I don't think you can go through life expecting the worst in absolutely everything - and it's been disappointing to find problems with these too. Again, I've just decided to draw a line under it and send them back for a refund.

Hopefully things will be okay with Series 6. The restored screen shots look terrific and hopefully everything else will be as expected too.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Darren wrote:I've just watched two of the reconstructions - Tunnel of Fear and Dragonsfield.

I always liked the sound of these from the synopsis and the recons proved very enjoyable in bringing alive the story. Great job.
Thanks, Darren. These ones are Alys' babies really. She wrote the narration scripts and did the bulk of the video editing. I just put the images together, recorded and edited the audio and made tea and mopped her brow! She did a great job, I think! 8)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Hmmm, I might cancel my Amazon order. Can anyone verify these problems are definite?
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Yes, they are definite.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Shame. :(
I was so looking forward to the extras and your reconstructions.

Oh well, that'll give me more time to rework season 3 - and I've decided to bite the bullet and redo every single mugshot on the site - making then 250 pixels square instead of 150 square. I'll need an additional 25MB of disk space but I have about 200MB free on my host so there's no problem there.
I might even throw in super-size enlargements for the major guest stars, the prinicipals and I'll definitely redo and standardise the "feature images" illustrating the episodes. Some of those Emma Peel pictures are downright shoddy and need to go!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Are the sound problems limited to 2 episodes, or are there more episodes with audio flaws?
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Personally speaking, if the audio fault is on every episode then I wouldn't have noticed them at all unless someone had pointed it out.

It's probably more obvious to those used to the A&E releases.

If replacements weren't offered then personally it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

The "corrected" audio examples done by a guy on the Roobarbs Forum sounded odd to me but that's apparently how Steed and Emma are supposed to sound :? . I'll possibly stick with the set as it is as as I said I never noticed the issue.

I watched Who's Who??? and Return of the Cybernauts last night (both look stunning) and really enjoyed them - this audio issue didn't infringe on my enjoyment at all.
servalan66
White Dwarf

faults

Post by servalan66 »

well I beg to differ, and your hearing cannot be that good, the sound issues are very noticable, as no doubt optimum will admit. whether they replace them all is another matter. and I am not used to the american ones, only ever had the uk videos and dvd's.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Re: faults

Post by darren »

servalan66 wrote:well I beg to differ, and your hearing cannot be that good, the sound issues are very noticable, as no doubt optimum will admit. whether they replace them all is another matter. and I am not used to the american ones, only ever had the uk videos and dvd's.
As I said on Roobards, my hearing is fine thank you.:)

Is it so impossible for you to understand that I do not have a major issue with this.

Edited as it's not meant to come over as aggressive.
Last edited by darren on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.