Peter Hammond question

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Re: Spring and Port Wine DVD delayed

Post by darren »

next thursday wrote:
Darren wrote:The Peter Hammond directed 1969 film "Spring and Port Wine", starring countless well known UK actors is finally being released on DVD in March 2009.

A film that brings out a very different side to Hammond's style of direction. He doesn't go for the more unusual, stylistic camera angles but gets down and dirty with the rawness of Bolton and the domestic setting. He's got some really quite astounding actors to play with - James Mason in the starring role. The music is great as well.
I just read on Amazon UK that the DVD is delayed, "perhaps" to come out in 2010.

Just Fie.
Yeah, I discovered about the delay at the beginning of the week. It is apparently due to them carrying out restoration on the master film.

Another Hammond directed series coming out on DVD - King of the Castle is being released in the UK in June. A 1970's children's TV serial. Hammond directed the first two episodes of the 7 30-minute episodes. For children of a certain generation this was very terrifying in its freakishness. The opening episode is all location based and recorded on film then the second episode goes into videotape in the studio, with Hammond using lots of crazy special effects. It does lose something in the non-Hammond directed episodes but is an enjoyable if dated serial.

http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info. ... cts_id=864
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: Spring and Port Wine DVD delayed

Post by Frankymole »

Darren wrote: Another Hammond directed series coming out on DVD - King of the Castle is being released in the UK in June. A 1970's children's TV serial. Hammond directed the first two episodes of the 7 30-minute episodes. For children of a certain generation this was very terrifying in its freakishness. The opening episode is all location based and recorded on film then the second episode goes into videotape in the studio, with Hammond using lots of crazy special effects. It does lose something in the non-Hammond directed episodes but is an enjoyable if dated serial.

http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info. ... cts_id=864
"King of the Castle" gave me nightmares for over ten years. It also gave me an aversion to elevators (lifts) which lasted even longer.

Another freaky offering from the same stable (HTV, same writers) is coming out on the same label - "Sky" - also recommended. But not for little kids as I was :D
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Well, King of the Castle is now out!

I'm too scared to order it yet :)

Anyone else ordered it?
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I ordered it on Monday, the Network website says that it's still processing - it would have been nice to get it for the weekend.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

True - I only just got Sky (ordered from Network, the sender's address is Sony DADC UK Ltd in Enfield, presumably their manufacturer/distributor). They're not fast but they are worth waiting, and these exclusives are amazing - stuff never even released on VHS (and not even in the archive in Sky's case), I wonder how they make any money! As someone said, Network must be run by an eccentric lottery-winner who loves archive TV. I'm glad they exist though.