Any big fans of Tara King?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

George wrote:Has anyone seen this Tara King doll. I think it must of been custom made.

Someone called Tara King on Facebook posted the image on there profile.
Ian, who pops up on the forum occasionally, custom-made that Tara doll. The only semi-official Tara doll that ever made it to the market was released back in the sixties.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

George wrote:
Thanks for the link to the trailer. I wonder why on the dvd version I have it doesn't have Tara wearing the bowler hat?
You mean it's another version ? I thought that scene was included. :(
But some rare american promos (ABC network) are available on youtube and a shortened version of this promotional trailer was added a few months ago (also narrated by someone else this time)...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrqAdG0U7ek

In that promotional clip, the producers just used some material that hadn't been completely edited, I believe. When Tara takes Steed's bowler and smile, you can note that we don't have that shot with Steed who's smiling at her whereas we do have this passage in the final version. The best explanation is that they hadn't ajusted yet all the shots filmed at different angles with the cameras. See what I mean ?
That's why we also have Tara who's trying to touch her feet--a moment we don't have at all but I suppose it was shot during the making of INVASION OF THE EARTHMEN (after Fennell and Clemens' return, clue : look at Tara's skirt !).
And the famous key-scene from that promo : Tara kissing her partner in crime on his cheek...Again, unused footage which was in SPLIT but it was finally placed in the 'cutting room'... :cry:

Brief comment about the ABC network promos : many TV ads were dug out and put online. I had even emailed them to Declassified.

Promo n°1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY3mvo9zags

Promo n°2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhg7FQl8ej4

Promo n°3 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaw4w_hB ... re=related
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

JohnSteedFr wrote:And the famous key-scene from that promo : Tara kissing her partner in crime on his cheek...Again, unused footage which was in SPLIT but it was finally placed in the 'cutting room'... :cry:
I reckon that that scene may have been the original tag scene which for some reason they decided to change. The Split! tag scene shows Linda Thorson with her own hair so was clearly shot later.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Darren wrote:
I reckon that that scene may have been the original tag scene which for some reason they decided to change. The Split! tag scene shows Linda Thorson with her own hair so was clearly shot later.

:o I didn't know that. Where did you find the anecdote ?

I don't see why they cut it... :lol: The kiss ?
Anyway, the current tag scene is one of my favorites, Tara asking for an unbelievable quantity of rare products (Creme de violette) :lol:
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

I, too, like the Tara episodes and feel some of them are as good as The Avengers got. I did like "Invasion of the Earthmen" but, of course, I enjoy it as it has a very good Steed type focus, so what's not to like? ;-)

Whether Tara should or should not have been played as so in love with Steed is not really important; it seemed to work for the show, rejuvenated it a bit, and made Pat put in more effort as Steed towards the end of the show. So, it worked very well for me.

All in all, I agree that both those series contain a lot of very enjoyable episodes.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

JohnSteedFr wrote:
Darren wrote:

:o I didn't know that. Where did you find the anecdote ?

I don't see why they cut it... :lol: The kiss ?
Anyway, the current tag scene is one of my favorites, Tara asking for an unbelievable quantity of rare products (Creme de violette) :lol:
It's just a guess really going by what I can see. The photo of Tara drinking something with a straw was included in the Lumiere Best of Tara King video boxset so I was surprised when the scene never showed up anyway as all the other photos where shots from episodes.

Split! is played quite seriously and judging from the playfulness of the scene of her kissing Steed in the trailer footage, it seems like a tag scene.

Linda Thorson just looks more mature and at ease in the actual tag scene and as I said it's not a wig.

I'd love proof but it's just a hunch at present.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Mona wrote:I, too, like the Tara episodes and feel some of them are as good as The Avengers got. I did like "Invasion of the Earthmen" but, of course, I enjoy it as it has a very good Steed type focus, so what's not to like? ;-)

Whether Tara should or should not have been played as so in love with Steed is not really important; it seemed to work for the show, rejuvenated it a bit, and made Pat put in more effort as Steed towards the end of the show. So, it worked very well for me.

All in all, I agree that both those series contain a lot of very enjoyable episodes.

Mona
The fact that Linda portrayed that girl in love with her 'shining armour', favourite partner, makes the show even sexier. It was extremely sexy when Honor steeped into the series, same for Diana (with an increase in terms of kinkiness) and Linda brought out that sweetness. I still don't get why some people didn't like the character back in the 60s...The question is : did they have good taste or not ?
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

JohnSteedFr wrote:
The fact that Linda portrayed that girl in love with her 'shining armour', favourite partner, makes the show even sexier.
Well, yes and no. That Tara loved Steed is undeniable and that they were lovers is also undeniable. But, Steed was not equally in love with the rather vulnerable Tara. Was he being a "gentleman" in that regard, making love to her--was he taking advantage of her? Was it honourable to promote her love when he could not return it? Was he setting her up for a massive emotional hurt in the future?

I mean, not to read too much into the show, but any thoughtful person would see some slightly concerning aspects about the situation, due to the inequality of the partners. Steed was also very unequal with Venus, but she didn't love him, and they weren't lovers. So, it's something to think about--fan fiction authors have written about the consequences of the Steed/Tara love affair and it hasn't usually turned out that well.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Mr S
Thingumajig

Post by Mr S »

Another Tara fan here (please note my avatar). Just about finished watching series 5 boxset, really looking forward to watching the Tara episodes. My favourite Tara episodes include

Game
Take me to your leader
All done with mirrors

to name a few.
George
Thingumajig

Post by George »

I watched Split last night for the first time, and thought it was rather good.:)
"Mrs Peel, we're needed"