What's your latest Avengers purchase?

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Avengerholic wrote:I always thought that cover looked like two women !
Spot on! Steed appears to have his hair up in a bun. I wonder why they did a new shoot rather than use the original publicity stills.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I did buy this video back in the early 90's and I never noticed at the time that it was a female model posing as Steed. I can see it clearly now! I actually took my video back for a refund as there is an audio problem with all copies of this video,the problem being that the audio is so quiet you can barely hear it. Not a problem now though as you wouldn't buy this to play it, you'd buy it because it's a nice piece of memorabilia.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Yes, really, it could be a female model for Steed - I will do a scan of the cover when I get it.
cyberrich wrote:I did buy this video back in the early 90's and I never noticed at the time that it was a female model posing as Steed. I can see it clearly now! I actually took my video back for a refund as there is an audio problem with all copies of this video,the problem being that the audio is so quiet you can barely hear it. Not a problem now though as you wouldn't buy this to play it, you'd buy it because it's a nice piece of memorabilia.
Rich, this is interesting, if you remember in what way and where did you buy this videotape? :wink: I only know that it could be bought for special offers ...
If you bought it in a video store or at least you saw it on sale in the early 1990s - this will be a great discovery for me and some other Avengers fans.
Personally, I thought for many years that it was just a tape for rent.
Denis
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Denis, I seem to remember it was only for sale in one branch of video hire store. I can't remember the name of the video store now. I'm sure I read about it in Stay tuned, Dave Roger's old fanzine which I used to buy. I'll look through these and let you know. What I do remember is how expensive this video tape was! It was £20, roughly double the price of the Lumiere videos which came out about the same time. I did take this video back as I've said, but I've kept all my other videos, including the brief case edition and the Tara King box set which Linda Thorson signed for me! :) Rich.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Many thanks, Rich. I remember the information from Stay Tuned about, as it was only for sale in one branch of video hire store - sort of special offer. A good gift for fans - possibility to buy a tape intended only for rental. First official UK VHS with The Avengers! 20 pounds is impressive at the time, although I guess there were many who wished. It is good that later they lowered the price for future VHS issues.

Glad to hear, Linda Thorson signed Tara King box set for you. Unforgettably. I recall photos from that event. There were posters from Lumiere. I always wonder whether they were sold or are just used as an advertisement? I have never seen it on sale at auctions, online stores and private announcements. :(
Denis
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I never saw that video in the flesh. Those episodes eventually came out in the Emma Peel Boxset (the Tara King boxset had a much better designed packaging).

Ah the Lumiere videos make me feel all nostalgic for a time when all I knew of an episode was the one picture on the back of the video and was agonise over which video to buy next with my pocket money.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Recently I got french DVD box and first official UK Avengers VHS edition. Tomorrow I will do scan of VHS cover and tape. :wink:

Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Scan of cover from first official UK Avengers VHS edition is online now (on Steedumbrella). :)

http://steedumbrella.ru/VHS_UK_Lumiere_Pictures.html

Access is opened by clicking on the image: :wink:

Also did the scan of VHS tape only for this forum by Photobucket: :)

I checked the episodes, the quality is not so bad. All episodes look complete according to their timing and include the intro "The Avengers in Color".
Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

DVD box "The Avengers Series 4 - Australia (1965)", I ordered earlier, is already in USA stock. If everything goes under the standard procedure, I will get it by next month. :wink:

Denis
paulh
Thingumajig

Post by paulh »

Bought two Avengers items this week. The first was Big Finish's The Avengers The Comic Strip Adaptations volume 3, which I'm hoping to listen to this weekend. The other was the Laurie Johnson album Music from The Avengers, The New Avengers and The Professionals. I just have to buy something to play it on now!
Old account paulpdjh