The New Avengers - ITV4

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Could they be using the slightly cleaned up versions that the BBC allegedly did for the mid-90's repeats...?

The Midas Touch and House of Cards (on at this moment), don't look any different to the Contender release.

I've just noticed in House of Cards that Purdey and Gambit drive through the village from the Movie (and Vicar of Dibley).:)
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Sam wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Anyone ever happen to see those supposedly-filmed live action titles with Purdey, Gambit, and Steed walking around an empty landscape? They printed the script in The Avengers and Me and claimed it was filmed, but I've always wondered if it actually was.
I remember seeing them on some of the episodes broadcast over here on CBS back in the 70's.
So it exists, then! :D Thanks, Sam. I wish someone would find it somewhere.

There were also those titles shot through a circle that must have been filmed because they used pieces of it for the live action titles and the German promo trailer (plus there are photos floating around). It looks as though they made about four sets of titles at one point or another, and had trouble working out which ones to use.

I think I've read that the animated titles were actually just that--animated, not computer generated. Brian Clemens claimed to have actually traced all the silhouettes himself, but I'm sceptical. :wink:

I confess it makes more sense to me that the live-action titles were made first, and used until they made the animated titles. The selection of clips from only the first few episodes is in common with a lot of other series that throw together a title sequence at a point when the series is so young, there's not much in the way of source material. But if people remember differently, it might not be the case. Seems strange that they would go back and retroactively add in different titles for only a few episodes, though.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

It's amazing that these original titles have never properly come to light - I suppose that were the NA's to get a proper restoration, the titles might be uncovered somewhere.

I watched the second half of Last of the Cybernauts..? yesterday, there's some really great Purdey and Gambit scenes in that one.:)
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Darren wrote:It's amazing that these original titles have never properly come to light - I suppose that were the NA's to get a proper restoration, the titles might be uncovered somewhere.

I watched the second half of Last of the Cybernauts..? yesterday, there's some really great Purdey and Gambit scenes in that one.:)
better than you would have expected...
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

mousemeat wrote:
Darren wrote:It's amazing that these original titles have never properly come to light - I suppose that were the NA's to get a proper restoration, the titles might be uncovered somewhere.

Last of the Cybernauts..? was one of the first New Avengers that I saw, on video with Eagles Nest and I didn't really go for it so I haven't watched it as often as much of the rest of the series. You forget things and I really loved the dualogues between the two characters.

They're always a highlight of the series even in awful episodes like The Gladiators.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Darren wrote:
mousemeat wrote:

Last of the Cybernauts..? was one of the first New Avengers that I saw, on video with Eagles Nest and I didn't really go for it so I haven't watched it as often as much of the rest of the series. You forget things and I really loved the dualogues between the two characters.

They're always a highlight of the series even in awful episodes like The Gladiators.
Definitely. Last of has always been my favourite of the Cybernauts trilogy, and I think it's down to the Purdey/Gambit interactions more than anything.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Darren wrote:
mousemeat wrote: better than you would have expected...

Definitely. Last of has always been my favourite of the Cybernauts trilogy, and I think it's down to the Purdey/Gambit interactions more than anything.
well, even 'bad' avengers (from any era) is usually much better than current fare on the tube..in my opinion.
Tara46
Thingumajig

Post by Tara46 »

I notice that ITV4 are moving onto Series 2 tomorrow with the episode "The Hostage" followed by "The Trap" & "Dead Men Are Dangerous". So what has happened to the episode "Target" from Series 1? This is one of my favourite episodes. I hope they show it at some point. :?
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Tara46 wrote:I notice that ITV4 are moving onto Series 2 tomorrow with the episode "The Hostage" followed by "The Trap" & "Dead Men Are Dangerous". So what has happened to the episode "Target" from Series 1? This is one of my favourite episodes. I hope they show it at some point. :?
perhaps it wasn't included in the right to re broadcast episodes...or simply an oversight..
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Tara46 wrote:I notice that ITV4 are moving onto Series 2 tomorrow with the episode "The Hostage" followed by "The Trap" & "Dead Men Are Dangerous". So what has happened to the episode "Target" from Series 1? This is one of my favourite episodes. I hope they show it at some point. :?
Hmm, I think by shuffling the episodes about they've might have dropped one (if you pardon the expression). If their repeats of The Saint are anything to go by they'll be on a loop anyway.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY