16%
4%
8%
8%

Total votes: 25

Brugeoise
Thingumajig

Post by Brugeoise »

Today I had the chance to watch this episode again after a long time. Even though I agree it’s definitely not one of the best Avengers episodes, I find the behind-the-scenes stories that surrounded and influenced its production quite interesting and that keeps me driving towards it.

Many of you have pointed out here, and quite correctly if I may say so, that Don Sharp’s direction isn’t exactly great and that set me thinking: what if John Bryce’s ill-fated tenure at this stage of the show had more to do with direction that what we normally tend to attribute to? On one hand, and judging from the surviving bits that made it to Homicide and Old Lace, we could also argue that Vernon Sewell’s direction for The Great, Great Britain Crime wasn’t first class either (I don’t remember the name of the original director for Invitation to a Killing, but the footage that made it to Have Guns Will Haggle looks better that the other two Bryce episodes).

On the other hand, Don Sharp would go on directing The Curious Case of the Countless Clues (which was already in production as The Murderous Connection when Clemens & Fennell were brought back in), but that episode is visually more interesting than Invasion ever was. This may suggest of course that Clemens & Fennell had a different approach (and, perhaps, involvement in the whole process?) than Bryce had.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Invitation to a Killing was directed by Robert Asher & John Hough, with Ray Austin & Harry Booth doing the new footage.
John Hough was also working with Don Sharp on Invasion of the Earthmen which seems to be a,low point for both of them. I've alway felt that it's not so much the director as the producer that's the issue with these early episodes - everything is rushed and cheap and there are rarely retakes for obvious flaws; it's like they didn't bother with watching the rushes at all.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Brugeoise
Thingumajig

Post by Brugeoise »

Thank you for reminding me about the directors! I agree with you about there being a general lack of attention, in the Bryce episodes, to the overall quality of the whole thing.

About that, I never cease to be amazed by that sequence from the original footage of The Great, Great Britain Crime where Cartwright is shot and buried by the Orpheus Tours gang. It looks as if they’d just planted the camera there and let it film whatever happened in front of it, with a complete disregard to angles or to any kind of visual narrative at all. I wonder why Clemens chose to keep that sequence in Homicide and Old Lace when, perhaps, they could have reshot it and rescue other bits from the original (if any were salvageable). But I’m afraid we might never know
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Invasion... is by far superior to Homicide and Old Lace. The former to me feels a lot like any other of the late sixties ITC spy-fi series, the latter doesn't feel like anything.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

dissolute wrote: John Hough was also working with Don Sharp on Invasion of the Earthmen which seems to be a,low point for both of them. I've alway felt that it's not so much the director as the producer that's the issue with these early episodes - everything is rushed and cheap and there are rarely retakes for obvious flaws; it's like they didn't bother with watching the rushes at all.
I would actually say that it's clear to me what 2nd Unit bits John Hough was responsible for. Watch Steed and Tara driving away from the hotel where Agent Grant was staying. A dog roaming in the road, low shots, quiet country church that they drive passed. These shots are lovely and atmospheric in isolation. His style is still there even under Bryce.

Hough had just come off The Champions and swapped with Ray Austin. I know that Clemens and Fennell pushed him to be more inventive but he still had a good eye anyway. Don Sharp isn't as visually interesting a director (his film work shows that). It's serviceable, clear work. I think he's better on character focused work (which is why Curious Case works better) than action or atmosphere.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I gave this a another viewing, hadn't seen it in years.

The main problem is how un-Avengerish it feels. There is no sense of urgency, no eccentricity and there is no build up - we almost don't get off that blasted campus.

It lacks the playfulness that is typical of the Avengers. Its just investigating and the baddie being bad, not diabolical or a mastermind. No sleuthing just entering and battling.

Those green and purple walls also don't help.... :(