Making it New? A Reappraisal of The New Avengers

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Rodders wrote:I have now moved on to the Canadian episodes and the individual episodes so far covered are:
The Eagle’s Nest
Last of the Cybernauts…?
To Catch A Rat
Cat Amongst the Pigeons
Target!
The Tale of the Big Why
Sleeper
Hostage
Dead Men Are Dangerous
Angels of Death
K is for Kill (Parts 1 & 2)
Book should be complete in a fortnight's time
Sweet. Well a toast to you Rodney with a bottle of Dom Perignon. I would bring it to you personally but I think you are somewhere in France at the moment.
Can't wait to read your book. Just finished seeing Hostage about 10 minutes ago. Did not like Gambit's role in season 2 so far, including this one. He was a bit too marginalized. But otherwise I really love TNA. My only complaint is there are only 26 episodes.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Borgus Weems wrote:It interesting, this talk of a failure in the characterization of Purdey/Gambit/Steed, in that it reminds me of another cult tv dust-up. Specifically, the episode City on the Edge of Forever on Star Trek. Harlan Ellison came up with the story, which involved Star Fleet allowing for a drug abuse culture to exist. Show creator Gene Roddenberry felt it was not in keeping with his conception of Star Trek so he changed it to where Bones accidently gave himself a shot of drugs to set the plot in motion, and Ellison has been griping about it ever since. If you think that the creator is right and the world of sci-fi can work any way they want to, you've got to agree with Roddenberry, but if you think that it's "unrealistic" not to believe that there is alwayways corruption and abuse throughout the world, you would side with Ellison.

How does this compare to the Avengers? That scene with Steed and Gambit may have been because whoever the writer for the episode was may have been the sort who felt like sexism existed in society so it should be included in the New Avengers, even if it was a violation of character that any fan could see.

In any case, it's an idea!
It's entirely possible. I think it's me to a degree--it bothers me the way Emma running around the field being chased by the helicopter in Murdersville does some people--but I suspect the intention behind it was to manoeuvre the players into position for the episode's climax. The whole last part of the episode centres on Purdey investigating the Sanctuary of Wings by herself, so they need some way to split her off from Steed and Gambit. They just don't do a very good job of it, so clumsy plotting looks like an arbitrary decision by the characters. It probably wasn't meant to be particularly significant at all. It just strikes me as a really badly characterised scene.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

the book, in principle, is complete. Just proof-reading and Jaz's cover to go!
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Congratulations! You wrote that rather quickly. When will it be on the shelves?
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Congratulations! You wrote that rather quickly. When will it be on the shelves?
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Once I start something I become obssessed with it! It has been proof-read and now I'm patiently waiting for Jaz to weave his magic with the cover. Once that is done it will be available 48 hours later.
Having watched and rewatched the entire run it is Sleeper which impresses me as the stand-out episode. I have come to like Forward Base but the real surprise for me is K is for Kill. It would have been better as a single episode but there is still something I love about it.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

I'm pleased with the book, which is not long at just over 100 pages. However, I am more nervous about it than I was with Subversive Champagne because Timeless knows far more about the show than I do!
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Rodders wrote:I'm pleased with the book, which is not long at just over 100 pages. However, I am more nervous about it than I was with Subversive Champagne because Timeless knows far more about the show than I do!
Don't worry about it Rodney. We all feel that way. Timeless has been studying TNA through infancy before she could talk. She was born with a Purdey haircut and her first words were "Gambit". I could swear she directed one of the episodes. :lol: But seriously I think she is utterly thrilled and overjoyed that someone has finally written a book about her true love, TNA. 8)
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Rodders wrote:I'm pleased with the book, which is not long at just over 100 pages. However, I am more nervous about it than I was with Subversive Champagne because Timeless knows far more about the show than I do!
I'm really looking forward to the book, Rodney! So pleased to hear that you've finished it, and got some favourite episodes out of it. I'm sure that you've given it its due, and I'll enjoy it enormously. Although I can't promise I won't quibble. :wink:
anti-clockwise wrote:Don't worry about it Rodney. We all feel that way. Timeless has been studying TNA through infancy before she could talk. She was born with a Purdey haircut and her first words were "Gambit". I could swear she directed one of the episodes. But seriously I think she is utterly thrilled and overjoyed that someone has finally written a book about her true love, TNA.
I was also raised in flares and Cuban heels, but you knew that already. :wink:

In a way it does feel like I've grown up TNA, though. It's been 12 years since I was introduced to it, and I've recently come to the realisation that that makes up a rather sizeable chunk of my life. Clearly I'm getting old. :lol: But seriously, I do love it, and I'm inordinately excited about the book. Any and all TNA love is welcome as far as I'm concerned. 8)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

The book finally covers 12 episodes in depth:
8 from Season 1:
The Eagle’s Nest
The Last of the Cybernauts…?
To Catch a Rat
Cat Amongst the Pigeons
Target!
The Tale of the Big Why
Sleeper
Dirtier by the Dozen

4 from Season 2:
Hostage
Dead Men Are Dangerous
Angels of Death
K is for Kill

In addition, there is a chapter on The New Avengers in Canada

Other episodes are discussed briefly, with explanations for their absence. Jaz is going to look at possible covers next week. Hopefully people will buy it, enjoy it but also throw some positive/negative feedback my way.