Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots: The Ultimate Avengers Book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

That isn't the actual reason she had to be "let go" though, was it? We can't say too much publicly but as PM'd it was more about an inappropriate personal liaison with a certain member of the production team... PM Rodney for more...
Last watched: "Concerto"
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Frankymole wrote:That isn't the actual reason she had to be "let go" though, was it? We can't say too much publicly but as PM'd it was more about an inappropriate personal liaison with a certain member of the production team... PM Rodney for more...
I honestly did not know anything regarding this, but I do not think that it would be a good idea for me to publish anything like that in a book, for legal reasons. During in my research I have come across one or two other situations that I cannot or dare not publish. Thus, unless I can provided solid evidence from say a newspaper or trade publication such as Kine Weekly published during the sixties, I would not take the risk of getting sued.

However, because of its secret nature this area of The Avengers is obviously quite facinating.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Good point, wouldn't want another "Avengers Dossier" pulping incident!! Anyway the party line is the official line so there's no harm in relating it. Clemens's allegations of Linda Thorson's casting process take on a whole new dimension when you consider the earlier incident though :)
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Frankymole wrote:Good point, wouldn't want another "Avengers Dossier" pulping incident!! Anyway the party line is the official line so there's no harm in relating it. Clemens's allegations of Linda Thorson's casting process take on a whole new dimension when you consider the earlier incident though :)
Especially not as at 810 pages and approximately 342,000 words, Bowler Hat and Kinky Boots is the biggest book that Telos Publishing have ever published.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

MikeR wrote:
Frankymole wrote:Good point, wouldn't want another "Avengers Dossier" pulping incident!! Anyway the party line is the official line so there's no harm in relating it. Clemens's allegations of Linda Thorson's casting process take on a whole new dimension when you consider the earlier incident though :)
Especially not as at 810 pages and approximately 342,000 words, Bowler Hat and Kinky Boots is the biggest book that Telos Publishing have ever published.
Will this be one book? or divided into parts?
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Sounds like a very interesting book and I'm excited to read it!

I'm sure that there are lots of rumors, some true and some not, about various backstage shenanigans, as there are with any series (especially in a time period where sexism and sexuality could make "inappropriate behavior" a firing offense).

Regardless, it does sound like Thorson was ill-treated by the show, much as the women who came before her, and unfortunately mean-spirited statements that she only got the job because she was dating someone are a pretty common accusation against young actresses. Not certain that it's really important, in the end, at least in terms of the show we have.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

anti-clockwise wrote:
MikeR wrote:
Will this be one book? or divided into parts?
There are chapters devoted to each season of The Avengers and The New Avengers, plus a shorter chapter covering the radio series and stage play and a chapter for the 1998 film.

The chapters dealing with the actual seasons go through the setting up process, assembling both the cast and crew, then it lookes at each episode in production order. This can begin with early draft of the script, comments between various members of the production team and ABC Television, progressing onto actual shooting. For some Rigg and all the Thorson episodes I have day by day progress reports. For these episodes I know where the crew were on location and what they were filming, who was there - both cast and stunt doubles - what vehicles were present and in some cases what equipment was there. Likewise, if they were shooting at Elstree Studios it will give you what set they were filming on and in which soundstage.

The entries continue with casting choices, incidental music, plus as I have quite a number of scripts and so it also outlines any differences to what actually appeared on screen.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Lhbizness wrote:Sounds like a very interesting book and I'm excited to read it!

I'm sure that there are lots of rumors, some true and some not, about various backstage shenanigans, as there are with any series (especially in a time period where sexism and sexuality could make "inappropriate behavior" a firing offense).

Regardless, it does sound like Thorson was ill-treated by the show, much as the women who came before her, and unfortunately mean-spirited statements that she only got the job because she was dating someone are a pretty common accusation against young actresses. Not certain that it's really important, in the end, at least in terms of the show we have.
Possibly, although sadly it is used as a lazy way to disparage Linda Thorson, often by Emma fans who won't even countenance discussion of other pros and cons of the series, merely dismissing her entire era because she allegedly "slept her way into the job". It's ironic if Beth Shepherd slept her way out of the job!
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Frankymole wrote:
Lhbizness wrote:Sounds like a very interesting book and I'm excited to read it!

Possibly, although sadly it is used as a lazy way to disparage Linda Thorson, often by Emma fans who won't even countenance discussion of other pros and cons of the series, merely dismissing her entire era because she allegedly "slept her way into the job". It's ironic if Beth Shepherd slept her way out of the job!
Well, yeah, if you want to criticize the Tara era, criticize the show or the performance or the scripts or anything else, not whether or not the actress was sleeping with a producer. It doesn't really matter, one way or the other. Though, quite honestly, I'd never heard anything about this until it was brought up on this board, and then in defense of Thorson. Most Emma fans I've known object to the character and not the actress (but I am comparatively young in the ways of this fandom.)

In general, though, Thorson seems to be the most objectified actress in the series - more discussion is laid on about whether or not she flashes her underwear or how short her skirts are than either Rigg or Blackman, both of whom had some interesting wardrobe choices over the years.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:Will we finally discover whether those casting sessions for season six were a sham (and a waste of film) as Clemens alleges?
would be nice to get to the bottom of all the rumours and some
Mousemeat

I just realised that you also get a thank you on book for assisting me with something (I cannot remember off the top of my head what) here on boards that went into this project.