The Avengers will be on the True Entertainment channel

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Dene
Nutshell

Post by Dene »

Colour Riggs started tonight with "Escape in Time".

They're using the 4% higher pitched versions!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

The ones that were 4% higher even than PAL? Or just the normal PAL versions (4% higher than NTSC)?
Last watched: "Concerto"
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I guess the 8% high ones. Haven't channel-hopped at the right time to find out!
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

And they switched to widescreen 16:9 ratio for the end credits of Escape in Time - and no end credit squeeze or voice over. They seem to have omitted the splendid A Sense of History - I wonder which episode we'll get next.
James/Mrs Emma Peel
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Watched The Superlative Seven last night on True and enjoyed it. It happened to be on and I had promised myself when its author Brian Clemens passed away that I would watch one of his episodes. Nice idea that owed its origin to Agatha Christie, but Clemens added his own twist to it and it worked perfectly.

Just a shame about the opening and closing tag scenes, which go too far towards fantasy for my liking.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

MikeR wrote:Watched The Superlative Seven last night on True and enjoyed it. It happened to be on and I had promised myself when its author Brian Clemens passed away that I would watch one of his episodes. Nice idea that owed its origin to Agatha Christie, but Clemens added his own twist to it and it worked perfectly.

Just a shame about the opening and closing tag scenes, which go too far towards fantasy for my liking.
A great cast but unfortunately not the best episode. But do love the Agatha Christie take off. Besides the tags is there anything you can think of that would have improved the episode? I always loved the idea but somehow it did not quite flow for me.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

It didn't quite work. Tonight was the Marshall/Clemens train combination. Some great moments but never mention the umbrella twiddeldy dum sequence to my father! Still, Clemens didn't cut out the Rodney references!
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

'A Funny Thing Happened...' is the episode that restored my affection for the show in 1999.

I originally got it on video (paired with Castle De'ath by Lumiere) in 1995, it was my birthday and I had a GCSE exam in the morning so I bought a load of videos on the way home and spent the afternoon going through them. A Funny Thing was the last one and I was pretty Avenged out by that point so it didn't click.

Then in 1999 I was totally dispirited by the dire movie and A Funny Thing just happened to be the episode I chose. Suddenly it came alive as atmospheric, funny, witty, fun, creepy all the things that the movie wasn't. It's now easily in the top five of series five for me - especially as it breaks with the formula.

I do love the umbrella scene. Oh and I was convinced that the blonde guy in that scene must be a brother of Julian Glover as they looked and even sounded so much alike!
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

the umbrella scene is a Marmite moment, you either love it or hate it.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

I think that having an episode on the railways works a treat, though. It was nice to re-watch it last night.